Headlights

Wheelybin22

New Old Stock, try Vauxhall Green Parts, I know they did have some a few years back but even then the price they were asking was eye watering.

I was lucky enough to get a brand new one from ebay for under a tenner, keep trawling the adds.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been researching into restoring complete headlight units. I have split them before and have cleaned glass to a almost new finish, sanded, rust threated and sprayed headlight shell to different specs, dark silver, standard, light silver, and charcoal. I have also cleaned and painted or dremel polished the bulb holders. 

Major sticking point is the reflectors, they are sided due to the sidelight bulb. Ive tried pricing two different processes, one is metalization, and other is chrome plating, either plastic or early metal reflectors.

These processes are just too expensive, i will continue to look into other processess. But for now im grounded, any ideas.

Believe me, im not stuck, ive at least 4 sets extra waiting in the wings. 

32 minutes ago, hoobby said:

Done a pair of square headlight reflectors with aluminium tape very tough stuff and was still good five years latter.

I've been thinking along these lines myself as a Plan 'B', as I have one headlamp that I believe is (at best), borderline MOT passable.

Can you tell me/us where you got the tape from or who made it please Graeme?

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Can you tell me/us where you got the tape from or who made it please

Lots of choice on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=aluminium+tape&sprefix=Alumin%2Caps%2C139&crid=C2QM5I2SS0L5

Finding the best one for the task in question might be more tricky! 😕

• Like 1

Apparently, its duct foil tape, you can also get chrome vinyl, main concern is apparently a headlight reaches 150˚C. Maybe not for a manta? 

But i have researched this for a while now, top is metalization, which is aluminium vapourised in a pressurised chamber. You can guess how much this is?

Next up is chrome plating, which involves three processes, actually this is the most expensive, 

Next up was chrome powder coating! Then hydro spraying, then hydro dipping, then airbrushing with chrome paint, and laquered involves process where the reflector starts gloss black. 

all but the metalization, are untested against bulb heat and uncertain how long these will last, non are exactly cheap.

bottom line is foil tape and chrome vinyl. But hard to beat a nice set of headlights! 🤤🤤🤩😋

• Like 1