PICS on, NEARLY DONE! - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.

Danny D114BCW

Well as usual a lot has been done but pictures are an after thought. 

it’s now nearly ready to go and have some paint, just waiting for the headlining and off it can go. 

just finished the fuel system and rear brakes, everything is new, so hopefully will be trouble free motoring (Yeh right!!!) it’s just a bit dusty but as they say “no dirt no work!”

huge thanks to Neil too. 

next few jobs are doors to prep, column to refit, handbrake cable to connect and tidy up the wiring.......I am sure there’s a few more jobs to add but I am confident that another day will have it ready for paint. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2020 at 01:31, H-400 said:

Looking great Danny, you are on the same stage as me. Always something to do before ending 😄. I got an appointment this thursday to go for the MOT.

I am a long way off MOT. The headlining has now been removed and is now with the upholsterer and being made. I have just got my plastic caps for the headlining bars to sit into and hopefully have it fitted this week.

Then it will be off for painting.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

I am a long way off MOT. The headlining has now been removed and is now with the upholsterer and being made. I have just got my plastic caps for the headlining bars to site into and hopefully have it fitted this week.

Then it will be off for painting.  

Hi Danny, sincere apologies for high jacking your thread, but did you produce a template for your headliner?

Great work, its coming along beautifully!

Any tips on fitting the headliner?, as this is a job that I have never done on any car before...

Any recommended materials or additions to make it quieter than original etc?

Is there any way it could be done without taking out the front and rear screens i.e. by tucking it under the rubbers?

Apologies for all the questions.

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Any tips on fitting the headliner?, as this is a job that I have never done on any car before...

Is there any way it could be done without taking out the front and rear screens i.e. by tucking it under the rubbers?

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

I tried changing a headlining without removing the fore & aft screens, many years ago Ian, but wasted to much time trying, I tucked the cloth under the rubber but could not get enough tension on the cloth without pulling it out. I'm not saying that YOU are unable to do it, because after following all what you have achieved it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if you achieve it All the best to you mate, have a Good Un.

Edited by Julian
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

Thanks Ian. 

my tips on fitting the headlining if you want it perfect is “pay a person to do it” 😁 I tried fitting mine years ago and was never happy with it. So 13 years later I finally have a perfect fitting one.

Get the screens out, it’s the correct way to do it, cutting corners is a total waste of time and money. 

I just got this stuff off eBay, I ran my car for 15 years without anything on the floor but decided this year to fit this stuff which was brilliant! I still won’t be fitting the sponge sound deadening as that stuff is horrid! 

• Like 2

Hi Ian

James Coghlan (Stradacab on the forum) fitted a new headliner to his 1980 GT-J & it looks good but i believe it was a balls ache to do & yes the front & rear screens have to come out.

I think James has got a new headliner with the small perforations for an early Manta/Cavalier coupe that he is looking to sell if your after one. 

• Thanks 1

@ Danny - many thanks for that info it is very useful. By the way, did you have any joy with a template for the headliner? - sorry to be a pain matey!

@ Dave - thanks for the tip off matey, I will drop him a DM. To be very honest, I really like the idea of trying to make one - just for the challenge really  :lol:

Thanks again lads  :thumbup

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

@ Danny - many thanks for that info it is very useful. By the way, did you have any joy with a template for the headliner? - sorry to be a pain matey!

@ Dave - thanks for the tip off matey, I will drop him a DM. To be very honest, I really like the idea of trying to make one - just for the challenge really  :lol:

Thanks again lads  :thumbup

The guy who did it was a total nightmare to deal with. I have a template somewhere and going to maybe produce some soon. They are not easy to make apparently and when you cost them price to buy and fit it’s really not worth the time faffing  

47 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

The guy who did it was a total nightmare to deal with. I have a template somewhere and going to maybe produce some soon. They are not easy to make apparently and when you cost them price to buy and fit it’s really not worth the time faffing  

Fair enough, thanks Danny.

Best of luck with the rest of the jobs on your car, she’s going to be a cracker :thumbup

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...

Well not much to report, but 5 months after dropping the car off at the body shop (known him for 18 years) a text message landed to say they have finally started to prep the car etc etc.

I am not in a rush for it back to be honest (although I really want to fit my mirrors and steering wheel as I loathe the standard ones) hence not chasing it, he's been busy making money on the far easier jobs whilst he can which I think we all would do the same. Anyway its in safe hands.

• Like 3

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to PICS on, NEARLY DONE! - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.