PICS on, NEARLY DONE! - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.

Danny D114BCW

15 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Well not much to report, but 5 months after dropping the car off at the body shop (known him for 18 years) a text message landed to say they have finally started to prep the car etc etc.

I am not in a rush for it back to be honest (although I really want to fit my mirrors and steering wheel as I loathe the standard ones) hence not chasing it, he's been busy making money on the far easier jobs whilst he can which I think we all would do the same. Anyway its in safe hands.

Know that feeling, my bodyshop has had my Silver Couoe for a year after I made the mistake of saying something similar and he pretty much did a little bit every other month before it was ready to paint, plus he was made to shut fir COVID by the council 1st lockdown  😬😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Know that feeling, my bodyshop has had my Silver Couoe for a year after I made the mistake of saying something similar and he pretty much did a little bit every other month before it was ready to paint, plus he was made to shut fir COVID by the council 1st lockdown  😬😂

After hearing stories of cars sitting in the corner of bodyshops for years waiting completion, I never say 'just do it when you can' and Im very lucky that my bodyman is my best buddy and hates 'old bangers' as he calls them cluttering up his workshop.

• Like 1

Indeed, there have been multiple issues in  2020 hence why I nit been on thier case. My bodyshop have gad some awful luck, and they have gad to downsize after building up over the last few years it nearly finished them as they had just switched from sole trader to Ltd 6months before Covid hit, so they got nada 😬

• 1 month later...

Good progress then 👍

It's always hard to get phones to show proper colour on cars. Either goes too dark or lightens it when I was taking pics of mine, especially on metallics. The only one that is close was the solid blue of the 400r and even then it's off somewhat.

• Like 1

Very nice, it will be a better paint job than what Opel did originally. I always feel that after getting over the hurdle of paint the Manta goes back together quickly. What’s your plans with it, are you intending keeping her now given all your hard work?

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Very nice, it will be a better paint job than what Opel did originally. I always feel that after getting over the hurdle of paint the Manta goes back together quickly. What’s your plans with it, are you intending keeping her now given all your hard work?

Hi Mike, erm I think I will keep it. I have had the car for 19 years and was bored with it. So I have changed a few bits that I don't like on the car and hopefully it inspires - I think it will. 

I was also bored of sitting in a field, I much prefer driving and mooching.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/03/2021 at 11:34, starmist said:

This is going to look amazing... and a really nice change to all the exclusives being done.

Cheers, its taken a while but i am still in no rush.

I am keeping it looking like a GT/E but making changes to the bits i cannot stand (steering wheel, mirrors) and the wheels are going due to the fact that the 14 inch wheels are a real pain to get decent tyres for.

A change wont do my inspiration searching any harm. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

I am keeping it looking like a GT/E but making changes to the bits i cannot stand (steering wheel, mirrors) and the wheels are going due to the fact that the 14 inch wheels are a real pain to get decent tyres for.

A change wont do my inspiration searching any harm. 

Yep sounds good, i always built my cars to the way i wanted them, still doing it. Looking for wheels for a different car, keep seeing wheels and thinking they would be nice on a manta - think 15 inch really suits em, hard enough to get now. 

Think it was a speedline, 5 pointed star style, modern look for the ats classic, but alot nicer and modern. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after the hunt to find the original dealer the DVLA did send me the original dealer details which then threw a spanner in the works as the original reg wasn’t this one. But it’s had this reg since at least 1990. So Andy Abbott had a contact so had some plates made up. 

Car is now painted and just waiting for the doors to be done then it’s time to get it running and driving. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to Never Ending - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.

I don’t understand. Firestone did 195 60 14 a few years ago and they were perfect on my 1.8. Great quality and enough grip for the 1.8 power. Can’t find them now. In fact there aren’t many out there at all. I suppose supply and demand has something to do with that. And it’s not like you can buy some and squirrel them away for future. 

next tyres for my 16v are going to be 205 55 15 maxsport RB5. Can’t wait. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

I don’t understand. Firestone did 195 60 14 a few years ago and they were perfect on my 1.8. Great quality and enough grip for the 1.8 power. Can’t find them now. In fact there aren’t many out there at all. I suppose supply and demand has something to do with that. And it’s not like you can buy some and squirrel them away for future. 

Careful with that profile as you should be going 205/50/15 to keep within the same diameter and circumference to oem 14" size. Unless your trying to fill the arches a little more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

This is why I have binned the original wheels due to tyres. These are 205.50.15

• Like 1

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to PICS on, NEARLY DONE! - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.