PICS on, NEARLY DONE! - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.

Danny D114BCW

31 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Great you have somebody to help. My son (18) helps me sometimes but I don't want to push him. 

Got a lot of work on my car and time is running fast. Succes with the rebuild.

I have been that busy restoring other cars I have not done mine, the ambition i had has been sapped out of me and I have had enough of them. 

I have always said, never make your hobbies or interests your business, yeh we all need a break or step away sometimes, but to sell it, you can never undo that, a half finished project is a great buy for a buyer, not for a seller.

Take a break if needed, the one im doing is going two years, its not a race, was originally doing it to sell, its a keeper now! My next deadline is two months away, finish the metal work, welding. 

A local saying here is, its not eating any grass! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

I have always said, never make your hobbies or interests your business, yeh we all need a break or step away sometimes, but to sell it, you can never undo that, a half finished project is a great buy for a buyer, not for a seller.

Take a break if needed, the one im doing is going two years, its not a race, was originally doing it to sell, its a keeper now! My next deadline is two months away, finish the metal work, welding. 

A local saying here is, its not eating any grass! 

It’s not a business haha but yes I know what you mean. It’s just very much hard work and I agree it’s not eating any grass but it does get in the way. 

I will hopefully have some enthusiasm in a couple of months, otherwise it will be going I think. But fingers crossed.

37 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

I will hopefully have some enthusiasm in a couple of months, otherwise it will be going I think. But fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed you do! I agree with the others that you would regret selling it, more so as it will be all sorted again.

Maybe once completed and you get out to enjoy it on the road, your mojo will return. If not, return it to storage till it does. 

Any timescales till you get it back again? or is it a longer term arrangement as and when so to speak? 

3 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

Fingers crossed you do! I agree with the others that you would regret selling it, more so as it will be all sorted again.

Maybe once completed and you get out to enjoy it on the road, your mojo will return. If not, return it to storage till it does. 

Any timescales till you get it back again? or is it a longer term arrangement as and when so to speak? 

Hoping to have it done by Christmas depending on a few things. Even it it’s next spring I am not too fussed.

huge thanks to Neil & Carl tonight. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

So Neil & I are both making a start, Neil is doing a full hunt underneath to make good any imperfections.

I am on with stripping the running gear, axle is nearly stripped and going to be painted this week. And the front subframe  and a bundle of other bits is going for zinc and powder-coating next week.

I also need a bush for my front Bilstein shocker - answers on a postcard please as struggling to find anywhere - going to phone Bilstein UK today.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, H-400 said:

There is a lot of progress! Looks like the inner chassisrail is in good condition to use again.

What are you going to use to replace the insulation material on the bulkhead?

All new inner and outer rails going in, we are even changing the bits not rotten as I am not doing it again, so all new jacking points etc etc. The rails are the ones from the German guy Eckard? really good heavy things 

Bulkhead insulation? - nothing keeping it light weight haha it is just another place for water to collect.

Hi Danny, I used the same rails from Eckhard. I am very satisfied with them.

About the insulation: You'v got a point with water-collecting. The warmt of the exhaust is on the mainland on the passenger side. So I can insulate on the inside behind that wooden board to keep the heat out. Maybe a metal insulation-plate in the engine-bay as you can find under the car... That will be for later, still a lot to do!

• Like 1

So Neil is cracking on with the legs and doing a thorough job making It all good.

I am currently on running gear duties etc so it’s all good and ready to put back on.

I have a powder coating and zinc plating pile which is going next week. 

Biggest pain is the fact a B series I am restoring is ready for collection from the paint shop - totally F*****D me up now time wise. 🤬 

• Like 6

Keep up the good work dan, great progress. It's great to see you've found the motivation to keep at it, I know all to well how difficult it can get at times to find the will power to keep doing them. Selling it was never going to be an option. 😂😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Keep up the good work dan, great progress. It's great to see you've found the motivation to keep at it, I know all to well how difficult it can get at times to find the will power to keep doing them. Selling it was never going to be an option. 😂😀😀

Thanks Andy, you are part to blame for me keeping it and helping me find the motivation (cheers buddy) - yeh i have attacked it like a mad man this week and will me doing today too as the yellow B is now back from paint and very begrudgingly its going to sap all my spare time - but once it is done and for sale i can then get mine done and dusted.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So after having a total nightmare with the front shocker bushes we finally got them in tonight with a few inventive techniques! 

Been tied up with another car I am building which is doing my nut in hence why it has taken a bit of a back seat. 

Anyway a few bits left to paint and then it will be the next stage which will be zinc coating and powder coating all my bits. 

• 2 weeks later...

So back from Sywell and nearly recovered - ace weekend.

so all my items taken to the powder coating place along with the zinc stuff. 

Everything is nearly painted now which seems to be never ending! So hoping to have all the running gear done and dusted in a week or two.

then it will be onto engine and gear box which aren’t too bad 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So things have been busy in my life throughout 2019 to be honest. New job and working very long days and weeks coupled with building the yellow B currently on eBay has sapped a lot of my time, money and taken with it all motivation Manta related. I closed the door on my garage over 3 months ago after the mountain of parts were all cleaned up and painted, the last being the exhaust and didn't go back in until last weekend to a bomb site! I can't thank my mates for pushing and relighting the Manta fire as it was nearly totally out at the beginning of 2019 with a view to it all being sold off including the car.

Anyway put away your  violins - Work is now becoming a little less hectic and the hero that is Neil Boylan has smashed on with the welding works (see pictures) and the painting of all the parts on the running gear etc is all done. New calipers, pads and rear drums are now sourced and when time commits i will be going to buy them and getting them painted/powder-coated. We are hoping to have the welding all completed for January 2020 and then it will be paint the underside of the car, new headlining, and bolt all the running gear and engine back in! - then paint the bits top side that need it and throw the interior back in.

Big thanks the Doug who fully rebuilt and made my alternator as good as new.

Here are a few pictures so you know we are all still alive and busy;

• Like 8

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 16 years on
  • Danny D114BCW changed the title to PICS on, NEARLY DONE! - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.