PICS on, NEARLY DONE! - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.

Danny D114BCW

All new brake components from front to back are now ordered and should be getting collected this week. 

front axle is now built up and competed. The rear Axle is well in its way. Then it’s strip the engine to a block. Paint and put all the nice new stuff on it. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I like to see the the subframes all painted and fresh, looks great, you’ll just need to keep them like this once they are on the car, should be easier to keep now they are in this condition.

I did all this in 2006/7. They just naturally age and get tatty

• Like 1

Danny once your all up and running and car is fully built, i jacked the car up and dipped a rag in cheap of cheap halfords oil, run it over all subframes. It saves the paint really well. After a few yrs wipe of with rag and some petrol, and go again. More oil. 

Warning. Wear old clothes, that can be binned as you get distroyed, also layed a old tarpolin down. 

Great work by the way, keep er lit! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Danny once your all up and running and car is fully built, i jacked the car up and dipped a rag in cheap of cheap halfords oil, run it over all subframes. It saves the paint really well. After a few yrs wipe of with rag and some petrol, and go again. More oil. 

Warning. Wear old clothes, that can be binned as you get distroyed, also layed a old tarpolin down. 

Great work by the way, keep er lit! 

Cheers for that. Yeh it’s been hard work especially to get inspired. The closer it gets the less likely I am to sell it.

the problem is it’s been parked up for that long I have kinda fell out of love with it. 

10 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

It's going to look great when it's finished all the effort that has gone in, it's going to look totally mint! I can only imagine the buzz I'll get driving mine when it's done, you are much closer than me.

It is still a good way off yet and there's a lot of hours left in it. I think once i have the brakes and the engine done i will feel better and more inspired. Then it will be on with helping with the welding and prep work of the under side.

I will then put all new copper fuel lines on (again - did these in 2004) along with a new fuel pump etc and lower the car onto the running gear, once it is running it will be off to get  a new headlining. After that! it get any paintwork done it needs, mint doors fitted and painted and get the wheel refurbished shod with new Toyo rubber. 

Of course this is all in an ideal world! here't hoping anyway!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Herman put me onto this, but pvc covered copper is what you want for the fuel lines.

Used in micro bore heating, 8 & 10mm

Yeh I already have them on. Did them 16 years ago but one got damaged on the body turner so going to redo the lot 👍🏼

• Like 1

As usual something goes wrong (I think some of the issue was my  impatience) anyway a bit of the timing cover has broken off whilst getting the bolts out. 
luckily I had a random spare casing, so new gaskets and stuff ordered and it’s another job I didn’t plan for. 

These cars don’t half test me. Is there a cure for this Manta bug illness? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Tip of the iceberg, loads done and I will try and get more pictures up. 

so the block is nearly done (starter motor I bought new isn't for a gte!) 

so the injectors have all been refurbished, all new quality fuel pipe and clips from Demon Tweeks as cheap ones are no good. Plenum has been media blasted and lacquered. Now all new and ready to roll

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

So the under side is now fully welded and now the build up begins. The front and rear axles are now on along with the engine and gearbox etc. 
New fuel lines etc need to go on along with the overhaul of the rear brakes and a whole long list of other jobs. 
Then the headlining and paint can be done as soon as lockdown is over.

again a huge thank you the Neil Boylan and Andrew Abbott for all their help in the latest chapter of progress. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Monaco Blue said:

It's coming along nicely then! Looking forward to seeing it all finished and back on the road. Not as much as you perhaps! 😀

Be good to have it back again and driving. Feels a very long time ago since I last drove it. 

• Like 1

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to PICS on, NEARLY DONE! - Manta GTE (15 years on) - now 18 years on.