Donut problem

biffy1984

After rebuilding my back axle and all went well, done about 80 miles and seems good till this morning, when I eased off coming to work there was a violent scraping sound:angry:

Had a look on the lift and the donut has come out at the top and the shaft is sitting way down in the carrier. 

I replaced the donut and bearing with a new Firstline part and i found it hell of a hard, had a right prick of a job getting it to sit in the housing properly.

Are these supposed to be like really hard? As in hardly any flex at all? Put the old soft donut back in perhaps??

3 hours ago, biffy1984 said:

After rebuilding my back axle and all went well, done about 80 miles and seems good till this morning, when I eased off coming to work there was a violent scraping sound:angry:

Had a look on the lift and the donut has come out at the top and the shaft is sitting way down in the carrier. 

I replaced the donut and bearing with a new Firstline part and i found it hell of a hard, had a right prick of a job getting it to sit in the housing properly.

Are these supposed to be like really hard? As in hardly any flex at all? Put the old soft donut back in perhaps??

Not sure if these guys can help as they are also having issues with their donuts

Thanks Snowy, I've read that thread and searched the forum for similar problems but can't find any like this. 

It's like the donut is so hard it can't flex therefore pulling it out of the housing. Think I'll throw the old one back in tonight and see what happens.

I'm also thinking the angle the propshaft is running at is not so good with the car being so low, there's a thread where Luke (399road) had altered his mounting so the prop is running at less of an angle which I think I may well have to do if I want to keep this hard donut in....

When you fitted the doughnut did you bend the 3 little retaining tabs back down to grip the rear of the flanges each end?

If you don't get them nipped up the doughnut will pop out from the housing, as thats all that holds it in position in the grooves.

Yeah I bent them over afterwards but it still managed to work it's way out. As I said the rubber was so hard with hardly any flex at all and with the prop lying at such an angle with it being low.

Fitted the old rubber tonight which is much more flexible and all seems good again.

1 hour ago, mantasrme said:

I normally fit uprated rubber ones from http://www.edelschmiede.com and have never had an issue with them even on lowered cars.

Sounds like the really hard one you got is not suitible for a really lowered car. Where did you get it from?

Cheers, might try them for one for the future. Can't remember who I got this one from, I'm sure it was from someone off the forum but it was a good few years ago now...

11 hours ago, biffy1984 said:

Cheers, might try them for one for the future. Can't remember who I got this one from, I'm sure it was from someone off the forum but it was a good few years ago now...

This is the other thread about the old doughnut problem.  (had to attach it as a text file so you can follow the link)

Get the uprated (think its the sport one) one from Thomas at Edelschniede, Soooooo much better

Andy

link.txt

• Like 1