Rolling restoration - 88 Exclusive Coupe

Phill440

Hi all,

I've been meaning to start a thread on my project for a while but only now am i getting on to it. My Manta is in daily use so this will be a slow progress thread. I have done a few bits already which I'll upload shortly but wanted to show off my next weekend project, a brake upgrade ^_^

This will be the first "major" upgrade I guess and I'm quite excited to get into it. I've gotten myself a Wilwood 4 pot/vented disc conversion as the original sliders were starting to bind (any excuse really!!!). I know many of you have done brake upgrades using various caliper and disc combos, however I'm a sucker for "trick" looking parts and  I wanted a bolt on kit. I've got to say, I'm not disappointed with these calipers, I almost don't want to fit them!!

I'll post up an account of how I get on with these, along with some pics if people are interested. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 3

I've been using Wilwood Midilite calipers and vented discs on my current Manta and the previous one.  They're much better than the sliding calipers.  Are you using drums or discs on the back?

The kits are available from Rally Design.

Edited by Ems

1 hour ago, Ems said:

I've been using Wilwood Midilite calipers and vented discs on my current Manta and the previous one.  They're much better than the sliding calipers.  Are you using drums or discs on the back?

The kits are available from Rally Design.

Still have drums on the back at the moment but have been thinking that I might update to rear discs in the future. The calipers are things of beauty, love the finish and the look proper race spec with the cross drilled discs😎

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Sounds good - do Wilwood actually market it as a kit for the Manta then?

Motorsport tools.com do the kit with choices of caliper (Dynalyte and Midilyte) and disc sizes and either standard or cross drilled vented discs. 

I’ve gone for the standard 246mm diameter cross drilled discs and dynalyte calipers so I can keep the standard alloys 😊

• Like 1

Cooling System Upgrade

Earlier in the year the original radiator finally gave up and so I chose RadTec for a high efficiency alloy radiator. Really pleased with both the product and service from RadTec! I also got a full silicon hose set from Retropower which proved to be a worth while exercise as most of the hoses were split or splitting underneath the clamps. 

I dont know if anyone else has had this but when installing silicon hoses they don't seal like rubber, and so you have to keep re tightening them. Does anyone know if there are specific hose clamps for silicon hoses as I just bought new standard hose clamps?

The instal was straightforward, although i did have to shave down the top rubber radiator supports as the rad/rad brackets were slightly wider than the original. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Installed

On 31/08/2018 at 16:07, Phill440 said:

Cooling System Upgrade

Earlier in the year the original radiator finally gave up and so I chose RadTec for a high efficiency alloy radiator. Really pleased with both the product and service from RadTec! I also got a full silicon hose set from Retropower which proved to be a worth while exercise as most of the hoses were split or splitting underneath the clamps. 

I dont know if anyone else has had this but when installing silicon hoses they don't seal like rubber, and so you have to keep re tightening them. Does anyone know if there are specific hose clamps for silicon hoses as I just bought new standard hose clamps?

The instal was straightforward, although i did have to shave down the top rubber radiator supports as the rad/rad brackets were slightly wider than the original. 

Installed

I have read you're supposed to use proper hose clamps with silicon hoses rather than jubilee style.

A proper hose clamp applies even pressure all the way around the joint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

There is metal springs inside the original rubber radiator hoses to give them support, did you put them back inside the silicone hoses or just leave them out?

I’ve never seen those, what do they look like?

This spring was inside the hose that attaches to the water pump, I presumed it was to keep the hose in shape when the rubber gets hot?...... I’m guessing here,

every day is a school day!

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

This spring was inside the hose that attaches to the water pump, I presumed it was to keep the hose in shape when the rubber gets hot?

every day is a school day!

Very interesting, thanks Mike.

4 hours ago, Mike. said:

There is metal springs inside the original rubber radiator hoses to give them support, did you put them back inside the silicone hoses or just leave them out?

I don’t actually remember seeing those in there.........