Jump to content
Phill440

Rolling restoration - 88 Exclusive Coupe

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I've been meaning to start a thread on my project for a while but only now am i getting on to it. My Manta is in daily use so this will be a slow progress thread. I have done a few bits already which I'll upload shortly but wanted to show off my next weekend project, a brake upgrade ^_^

This will be the first "major" upgrade I guess and I'm quite excited to get into it. I've gotten myself a Wilwood 4 pot/vented disc conversion as the original sliders were starting to bind (any excuse really!!!). I know many of you have done brake upgrades using various caliper and disc combos, however I'm a sucker for "trick" looking parts and  I wanted a bolt on kit. I've got to say, I'm not disappointed with these calipers, I almost don't want to fit them!!

I'll post up an account of how I get on with these, along with some pics if people are interested. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds good - do Wilwood actually market it as a kit for the Manta then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using Wilwood Midilite calipers and vented discs on my current Manta and the previous one.  They're much better than the sliding calipers.  Are you using drums or discs on the back?

The kits are available from Rally Design.

Edited by Ems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ems said:

I've been using Wilwood Midilite calipers and vented discs on my current Manta and the previous one.  They're much better than the sliding calipers.  Are you using drums or discs on the back?

The kits are available from Rally Design.

Still have drums on the back at the moment but have been thinking that I might update to rear discs in the future. The calipers are things of beauty, love the finish and the look proper race spec with the cross drilled discs😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Sounds good - do Wilwood actually market it as a kit for the Manta then?

Motorsport tools.com do the kit with choices of caliper (Dynalyte and Midilyte) and disc sizes and either standard or cross drilled vented discs. 

I’ve gone for the standard 246mm diameter cross drilled discs and dynalyte calipers so I can keep the standard alloys 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cooling System Upgrade

Earlier in the year the original radiator finally gave up and so I chose RadTec for a high efficiency alloy radiator. Really pleased with both the product and service from RadTec! I also got a full silicon hose set from Retropower which proved to be a worth while exercise as most of the hoses were split or splitting underneath the clamps. 

I dont know if anyone else has had this but when installing silicon hoses they don't seal like rubber, and so you have to keep re tightening them. Does anyone know if there are specific hose clamps for silicon hoses as I just bought new standard hose clamps?

The instal was straightforward, although i did have to shave down the top rubber radiator supports as the rad/rad brackets were slightly wider than the original. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Installed

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2018 at 16:07, Phill440 said:

Cooling System Upgrade

Earlier in the year the original radiator finally gave up and so I chose RadTec for a high efficiency alloy radiator. Really pleased with both the product and service from RadTec! I also got a full silicon hose set from Retropower which proved to be a worth while exercise as most of the hoses were split or splitting underneath the clamps. 

I dont know if anyone else has had this but when installing silicon hoses they don't seal like rubber, and so you have to keep re tightening them. Does anyone know if there are specific hose clamps for silicon hoses as I just bought new standard hose clamps?

The instal was straightforward, although i did have to shave down the top rubber radiator supports as the rad/rad brackets were slightly wider than the original. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Installed

 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I have read you're supposed to use proper hose clamps with silicon hoses rather than jubilee style.

A proper hose clamp applies even pressure all the way around the joint.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Snowy, that would make sense. I've not seen hose clamps specifically for silicon hoses advertised anywhere though (only huge ones for turbo hoses)..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is metal springs inside the original rubber radiator hoses to give them support, did you put them back inside the silicone hoses or just leave them out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike. said:

There is metal springs inside the original rubber radiator hoses to give them support, did you put them back inside the silicone hoses or just leave them out?

I’ve never seen those, what do they look like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

This spring was inside the hose that attaches to the water pump, I presumed it was to keep the hose in shape when the rubber gets hot?...... I’m guessing here,

every day is a school day!

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike. said:

There is metal springs inside the original rubber radiator hoses to give them support, did you put them back inside the silicone hoses or just leave them out?

I don’t actually remember seeing those in there.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that spring on mine and i believe it is to keep the hose in shape, i refitted mine. I also found one on a 3.0 Monza sometime ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...