Fuel Injection problem - LE Jetronic - Fixed :-)

Trooker

Hi 

funnily enough I was trying to join but got in via Facebook and couldn’t see where to join! 

The car runs great for first 20 mins or so but then once it’s warmed up it then accelerates, engine dies or stops pulling then 10 secs later it comes alive again then to splutter after a few more metres and do it continues. A friend has suggested I spray wd40 in the engine bay to see if there is an air leak that may be messing up the air petrol mix etc but not sure where to go with it now whether an electrical problem or ...

many thanks

john

It sounds like you just need to carefully go through the basics described earlier in this post. I would be concerned about the watery fuel ! . And would be sorting that out first by completely emptying tank,removing it if possible to be 100% sure.

and make sure the inline fuel filter is ok / replaced.    But also of water in the ecu.

A common symptom. Due to the various rust traps these cars have causing a wet footwell.it can come in from inner wing/wheel arch area ,under washer bottle 

Yes the ecu can be opened up but only once or maybee twice. You will see what I mean if you look at it.there are some aluminium tabs around the back which hold it together. They don’t realy like being bent and can snap easily. 

Dont make any engine adjustments to anything yet just work through the basics 

Hi John,

your symptoms are different to mine. My car basically died when the ECU failed. The reason I could get it started but had no power etc was that my car has a non-standard power supply that enables the 5th (cold-start injector) to be triggered manually. None of the rest of my injection was working at all.

I strongly recommend buying a Haynes manual, there are usually some listed on ebay just make sure it covers the later cars as the LE injection is an appendix.

Danny's suggestion to join the club is well worth the annual remittance. There are a lot of very informational posts and chatter going back for years on the tech bit. Its no Wiki but you'll learn loads!

This is probably a red herring but are you certain that your water pump is working properly? Heater matrix inside getting toasty?

Cheers

Alex

Here is the inside of my faulty ECU - nothing much to see other than 40 year old technology. I've toyed with the notion of swapping out  the electrolytic capacitor and the NPN Transistor but my suspicions lie with the long dried-out heatsink compound on the old pre-DIL packaged IC at BS20 & I'm not sure what it is. However, my car is running but needs many other bits sorted before I try & repair this as a spare!

IMG_9799.thumb.jpg.d225b6a1d34cd1f07054b68252553255.jpg

Edited by Trooker
removing unnecessary pic

I'd try and swap the ecu. Remember the problems we had with one of ours we spent endless hours, changed everything even down to the cam. We ended up trying 5 or 6 different ecu's untill we finally found one that worked. It seems ecu's are now of an age where they are causing problems, just to add our car did run. But very lumpy and wouldn't rev the build is in the projects section C reg non sunroof coupe restoration. 

46 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

I'd try and swap the ecu. Remember the problems we had with one of ours we spent endless hours, changed everything even down to the cam. We ended up trying 5 or 6 different ecu's untill we finally found one that worked. It seems ecu's are now of an age where they are causing problems, just to add our car did run. But very lumpy and wouldn't rev the build is in the projects section C reg non sunroof coupe restoration. 

WOW! Fascinating thread and info gleaned.