Hello, greetings from North wales

Pete Whiles

Hello my name is Pete, have been an OMOC member in the past and have recently joined again in the hope of finding some help, tips and or parts, my car is a Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 bought from new by my Father in 1977, I acquired it in 1985 and used it daily until it had completed 100,000 miles, had a flickering oil light and was starting to smoke, so in 1990 it came of the road with a view to doing the engine, I was young then and got the Manta bug after going to watch the RAC rallies of the eighties.

After watching the rallies I purchased a 400 kit, changed the engine from a 1900 to a 2.0ltr, changed the 4 speed box to  a Getrag 5 speed and bought some 13" 4 spoke revolutions and that was as far as I got, the car has basically just sat in the garage since then, disgraceful I know, after 30 years of shift working and now being Semi retired I have a rekindled spirit to get the car back on the road.

Lots to do on the car, but I`ll get there hopefully, usual welding to do on swan necks, but want to get it running first, not sure about MOT now it`s 41yrs old?

20180728_153715.jpg

20180813_170450.jpg

20181002_180422.jpg

• Like 6

Your in the right place, with the right car, for the omoc, 

Any help you may need will be given here, very knowledgeable bunch! 

Nice car, you are tax free straight away, 41 yrs old. Front light bezel has been changed, blended to as it should be. 

Looks a great setup 2.0, 45 carbs, 5 speed, 

As for mot, if wales is same as eng, its not essential, but a great way to suss out any gremlins. What brakes are you running

Need more pics! 

53 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Your in the right place, with the right car, for the omoc, 

Any help you may need will be given here, very knowledgeable bunch! 

Nice car, you are tax free straight away, 41 yrs old. Front light bezel has been changed, blended to as it should be. 

Looks a great setup 2.0, 45 carbs, 5 speed, 

As for mot, if wales is same as eng, its not essential, but a great way to suss out any gremlins. What brakes are you running

Need more pics! 

If the car is over 40yrs old it will be historic so no tax or mot

all you have to do is take your logbook to a main post office and they will send it off to be altered by the dvla and will come back showing historic 😀

good luck with the build

Thankyou to all for the replies, I can not compete with you professional guys, your standards are amazing to say the least, but I will have it back on the road, TAX and MOT not an issue the car will not go back on the road until it`s right and had a pre MOT for brakes and emissions etc.. cant wait to drive the car again.

As regards brakes, looking for hints and tip`s for upgrade, read a few posts from Daishag? I`m interested in, I think from North wales regarding using Zafira  callipers and 270mm solid discs but need more info, spacers , bracket and hoses etc for rears, maybe Carlton 2.2 fronts or Volvo 4 pots front, no brake lines at all at the moment, got some Zafira callipers tonight, open to any ideas please.

Webers are 40`s with option of 30,34 or 36mm chokes and are causing some concern regarding servo mounting or bias pedal box, have seen a few posts with servo mounted reverse by OSF headlight, but may revert bias pedal box, car wont be used in competition, just enjoyment of going sideways again.

About to fit a Carlton 2.2 head which cam to me with a PMC3 cam, ported and polished, don't know anything about the cam, think it`s mild road? heads been skimmed -20 thou, exhaust manifold is a tubular 4/2/1 possibly Ashley? bought from Yukspeed in the 80`s, car has adjustable Spax all around with 400lb springs on the front and progressive rears plus 40mm and 500mm lowering options.

Just bought some 15" Compomotive MO5 Motorsport wheels fitted with Hancook 8J 225 -50 15 rears and 7J 195-50-15 fronts, ET0 and ET25  instead of the 13" Revolutions, car already has spacers fitted.

Still have mega amounts to do, so lots of questions to come !!!

wheels 2.jpg

wheels 10.jpg

wheels 7.jpg

wheels 8.jpg

Sorry if this post is not where it should be, I`m a newbie to this

Hi Pete, welcome.

Your car looks great, the 5 spoke Compomotive will give a more "400" look instead of the 13 inch rims.

@Steve 1900SR: In Belgium we have to go back to the "MOT" with our classic cars/oldtimers.

Thanks to an organisation "BFOV" (Belgian Federation of Old Vehicles) who made a pact with the devil behind our back.

Nobody was informed, it was as a lightning in a clear sky...

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Hi Pete, welcome.

Your car looks great, the 5 spoke Compomotive will give a more "400" look instead of the 13 inch rims.

@Steve 1900SR: In Belgium we have to go back to the "MOT" with our classic cars/oldtimers.

Thanks to an organisation "BFOV" (Belgian Federation of Old Vehicles) who made a pact with the devil behind our back.

Nobody was informed, it was as a lightning in a clear sky...

To be honest, I'd rather we didn't have MOT exemption over here, I'm not convinced it's a good thing. My A became MOT exempt this year, but I still had it tested.

Yep mot regardless makes sense, peace of mind, extra set of eyes, my problem here is they are civil servents, failed mechanics, and can be absolute feck heads. Chip on their shoulders, of course you do meet a half normal one now and again! 

Nice wheels, and looks to be a well sorted manta, fair play

Hi all thank`s for the encouraging replies, have not done a lot to the car this week, still working on the head, have not even tried the wheels yet to see if they fill the arches, hopefully they will and look the part we will see, as for the MOT for peace of mind I will probably get it tested once running and all work completed, I am sure there will be MOT exemptions as the car is modified opposed to being standard?

A couple more pics but months and months of work to do yet, apologies again if this post is in the wrong place, not sure where to put it yet.

20181105_111051.jpg

20181105_111103.jpg

20181105_111114.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah i agree with the above .nothing wrong at all in having it mot tested and im sure some insurers will eventually insist on it .

besides an mot tester cannot fail it on something wrong if something isnt actually wrong as what would they tell you ? /show you ?.

If a boot is split or a joint is worn etc you will be able. To see it for yourself.if an area has a hole then it has a hole. They cannot make a rust surrounded hole into sound metal so no issues there at all to me.

Hi yes I will probably sell the 13" Revolutions if your interested, just need to make sure that I have no problems with my new wheels before I sell, the tyres will probably need replacing, a pity really the rears are 235 x 60 x 13 with plenty of tread, bare with me and I will E mail you more details

6 hours ago, Pete Whiles said:

Hi yes I will probably sell the 13" Revolutions if your interested, just need to make sure that I have no problems with my new wheels before I sell, the tyres will probably need replacing, a pity really the rears are 235 x 60 x 13 with plenty of tread, bare with me and I will E mail you more details

Thats great thank you 🙂