Refitting front and rear screens - sealer required?

IanMc

Hi all,

Although I haven't yet repaired my front and rear screen surrounds, I always like to try to think ahead a little.

Accordingly, during the refitting process, is it necessary or recommended to use sealer in the channel, or is the rubber seal good enough on its own?

If sealer is required, is anyone happy to recommend a product that they have used previously?

Many thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Hi all,

Although I haven't yet repaired my front and rear screen surrounds, I always like to try to think ahead a little.

Accordingly, during the refitting process, is it necessary or recommended to use sealer in the channel, or is the rubber seal good enough on its own?

If sealer is required, is anyone happy to recommend a product that they have used previously?

Many thanks in advance.

ive bought these to do mine have used in the past with no issues 

its a non drying product 

its on flea bay item no 221930842939

peter

7 minutes ago, mantasrme said:

If your rubber seal is in good condition and still soft flexible rubber then you shouldn't need sealer.

Thanks David.

The seal actually feels pretty good, its flexible enough to keep moving and coming away from the glass every time I move the screen.

I guess in the back of my mind I'm worried about water getting past the seal and rotting out the screen surround again. Perhaps I could/should just add sealer to the outer lip of the seal, where it touches the roof, the side bars and the scuttle?

That product above reccommended by peter evans is perfect for the job. If you get that all will be fine.if you decide to get something else make sure it is a windscreen SEALER designed for older vehicles with a rubber seal and not for bonding the newer type windows to frames.sure it will work but youl be lucky to ever get a window out again in one piece !.

i would be surprised if the rubbers fit good enough everywhere to be used without any sealer at all and im sure a bead of sealer would have been used originally from new.mr mantasrme has been a lucky guy if hes never needed any and never had leaks.ive personally not been so lucky.so have always put a bead on the frame recess when putting a window in and then filled the entire void afterwards when window is in.

ive never removed a cav window and not found any sealer in there.

either way you should realy check all the seals afterwards for water entry as even a very small drip through a corner will eventually soak a floor and encourage damage to all your excellent work.

Never used sealer, always clean the rubber and remove any dirt and old sealer that may be in the grooves, if the rubber is supple then I wash it with very hot water and truck wash, then I dry it off.

Then I brush clear waxoil all over the rubber, in the grooves, everywhere and wipe off the excess.

I then brush waxoil on the car too, right in the corners and all up the a posts.  again, wipe off the excess but you want to leave a bit there.

With the screen on a trestle I fit the rubber and then fit the filler strips.

Use the cord method to fit the screen.

Fit the screen trim corners.

Been doing it like this for 25+ years and never had a leak yet.  In fact I have had my White coupe all that time and that's still got the original screen rubber and its still in great condition, because I drove that car so much that had at least 4 screens in it over the years, all fitted using that method.