Full Restoration + 400r Build 83 Coupe.

bris jas

• 2 weeks later...

OK so shell is now completely solid, fitted new o/s cill and finshed off the rear inner arch and front lower a pillar

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I had a couple of small repairs to do on the top of the front panel above the lights, strangely both side had gone in the exact same place, anyway cut out treated with hydrate 80 and new pieces welded into place

I took both the doors and boot lid to my blasters on Friday as i want them to just blast the insides around the frame, this way i can see more easily what needs sorting. I know both doors will need some repair to the bottoms but hopefully only a small patch to the inner boot lid.

Next job while i wait for those to be returned is to start trying to fit up the Volvo 240 rear axle, not sure yet how far away the mounting points will be but its a good 5 link set up including panard bar and comes 5 stud with disc's as standard.

One thing i will have to over come is the fact the spring and shock are the different way around to the Manta set up, could always go coilover i guess!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Can't believe i haven't updated my thread since April, where does the time go!

Next job now that the shell is rust free and solid was to fit the Volvo 240 rear axle, this is how it was

And after i had removed the bits i didn't need for fitting

So first i offered it up to the car to see how far away the mounting points were compared to the original manta, yep no where near and nothing i could use apart from the body mount for the panard rod.

Once the axle was cental between the arches i then took loads of measurements to ensure the axle was square and in the correct position, once happy with that i then went about making up new mounting sections

The nut will recess into the chassis leg as i want the bracket to fit flush for maximum welding

I tacked them in place first then refitted the axle to make sure all measurements were ok, all good so welded them in, also added a strengthing plate between the 2.

For ease i removed the panard rod mount from the manta axle and fitted to the Volvo axle, this way i can just use manta bushes on both ends. As the mount on the Volvo axle is closer to the centre than the manta one i made up an adjustable panard, this will also help to get the axle set up later on. (i forgot to take any pic's of this but will once back from the power coaters!).

As i want to fit rear seat to the manta i didn't want box sections inside so for the upper arms, after lots of thought alignment i managed to position the mounting points so i only had to make very shallow covering sections.

Final fitment of the axle to make sure all clears and sits where it should.

I couldn't get the spring and shock to work as they are located the other way around to the manta and the chassis was just in the way so i've had coilovers made, they will mount in the original shock inner arch mount position, i seamed welded this for extra strength so should be ok as my track manta is set up the same (although does have a cage) never had an issue there.

The rear and front axles have been completely stripped, all bushes removed ready for superpro bushes after its all been powder coated, just to mention the rear anti roll bar goes around the rear of the axle and attaches to both lower arms and not the body.

Once all happy i then finished prepping the underbody, checking all seems with sealer before masking up and spraying in Upol Raptor.

Just got the newly dipped and treated bolts etc back today, so just waiting on the suspension parts back from the powder coaters then i can fit them both suspensions up and get them back on the car.

Next stage after that will be to drop the car onto stands and start to fit the kit!!

Hope your still awake after reading all this 🤞.

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Hi Jason,

got any more pics of the roof skin cuts you did, looking at all the different ways of doing this for when I tackle to coupe soon.

No i don't mate, give me a call when your ready and i can talk you through how i did mine.

Do you have anymore pictures on your axle job? 

Did rear seats fit ok again after that little cut out for top link?

I have similar idea to mount the 4haaxke, so any advice on how you got/ what you would do differently would be very welcome.

On 03/08/2019 at 21:41, Jessopia74 said:

Do you have anymore pictures on your axle job? 

Did rear seats fit ok again after that little cut out for top link?

I have similar idea to mount the 4haaxke, so any advice on how you got/ what you would do differently would be very welcome.

I haven't fitted any seats in as yet, car is long way off from being finished, the small raised sections shouldn't cause an issue though.

Here are some pic's of the rear axle, fresh back from being powdered coated

I'm using adjustable top links for ease of setting up, all new bushes installed ready to fit back into the car.

All fitted back in with new or treated bolts/nuts etc.

Coilovers installed, this may need a shorter spring but i'll wait until car is on the ground with wheels before i play around with that.

I made my own adjustable panard rod, i used the fixing from the manta axle onto the volvo which was pretty straight forward, this way both ends are manta bushes, just makes life easier.

Hope the pictures help!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As the bottom of the car is finished and the rear axle installed i then started on the front, again it was fully powdered coated and new or treated bolts used.

New bushes and steering gaitors. The springs are 40mm lowered, i have fitted these before and have liked the stance of the car.

Just a heads up on the rear axle, if you ever get one powdered coated and blasted make sure you removed the crown and pinion and ball bearing races, i removed the half shafts and axle cover then masked all open sections, the guy who blasted it then masked again just to make sure.

When i got it back the the crown and pinion were very hard to turn, i washed out the axle but it just got worst and wouldn't turn, nightmare! I stripped it right down and found all the bearings full of the fine blasting material, took me half a day and 6 cans of SAS spray to clean out the bearings, all back in now and turning freely:rolleyes:.

So onto the doors, the n/s just needed a small plate and forgot to take a pic of that.

O/s door was shot along the bottom, i did see a few doors for sale but all were around £100 and needed small bits of repair. So decided to fix mine, it fitted so well on the hinges and the gaps were good so worth trying to keep it.

First i got hold of a donour door, only one i could get was a n/s, removed the lower frame, o/s and n/s lower inner frames are very similiar apart from the front and rear sections where they curve up around the corners

With lower frame removed

New lower frame istalled and outer skin cut back to solid metal, this is where the fun begins. So i had to make my own lower door skin with retun flange. Above is a piece of metal i removed from the donor door, 10mm bigger top and bottom, the 10mm at the bottom will be the returned flange and 10mm at the top will stepped as below.

I then clamped the metal to an old spirit level and carefully planished the bottom lip around to make the start of the flange

Once done checked the measuremants against the door and welded it in place

Welding about an inch at a time to stop any heat distortion, i would also after 10 welds planish the area using hammer and dolly just to help keep the panel straight, anyway all went to plan and came out a treat.

I then planished the bottom flange around the bottom of the frame and added welds about 6" apart. Then put the door back on and kept my fingers crossed🤞

Couple of raised areas to address but looks great and gaps spot on!

I have a few more pic's of the door on the car but ran out of MB's space and can't seem to add any more even if i do a new reply!

Anyway panels all finished now, just refitted the boot and all fit well, next job it onto fitting the bodykit. Never done one before buy quite looking forward to it!

38 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yes they do help, thanks!

have you had to strengthen the shocker turrets for the coil overs as that is very interesting idea 💡 

Oops also, who did you get the rods off ?

Yes i seam welded them all around and also the small cap on the top, my track manta has the same set up but the tops are connected to a cage, never had any issues with that and the project car will never get anywhere near the stress that the track one does.

When you say Rods?

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

Wow can't believe i haven't updated this for so long! Although i have been cracking on with the car.

So metal work all finished, i then i had to fit the kit properly, although it fitted well there was still a lot of fettling to be done just to make sure the kit fits where it should and gaps are spot on.

Heres the full kit i bought

First test fit to see what was what!

I used a different bonnet that i had as this fitted a lot better, the other would fit but needed a lot more work.

As i had decided to fit the lamp pod, (always had a soft spot for spotlamps). I picked up a pod but really should of looked into this more, the one i got was in 2 sections but the mould quality was poor so took me a lot longer to fit how i wanted it.

First job was to cut out the front upper panel between the lights

Then offered up the lamp pod, well that was a laugh almost welded the front panel back in again😡.

Well after lots of shaving twecking etc i got it fitting well

This was only half of it as i now had to fit the lower section into the bumper, can't recall how many times i measured to make sure it was spot on, once cut and fitted just with tape at this point.

It would take lots of prep to get it looking well with the bumper, before that i fibreglassed it into the bumper.

Here it is fitted with just i pair of lights to see all was ok, don't get me started on the fabrication needed behind to get these lights fitted!

Fitted the rear end back up and the Irmscher spoiler sections to the top of the 1/4s, always do a test fit before paint as easier to put things right now if needed.

Then it was onto a case of getting the first coat of 2k primer on.

So first coat on with a good dust coat to show up any imperfections when sanding down.

Ok so after spending ages flatting the whole car down including the kit etc i then gave it a 2nd coat of 2k primer. I haven't done the engine bay as yet because this will need a bit of fabrication work for the engine, intercooler etc and new pedal box.

This is the engine i'm fitting!!!

I'll update the thread sooner next time🤞

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

I did hope to update this thread quicker this time !!!!

So first job with the engine was to do a trail fit and make a new n/s engine mount, as its a turbo lump the n/s mount would be in the way

Just taked in so i could make any adjustments if needed

I also decided to make a mod to the bulkhead as i didn't want the rear water outlet from the head hitting and also to make it look as if it has always been there,

Bit hard to tell from the picture but i recessed it back about 25mm.

Next i tried the radiator in place to see what room i had which was plenty, the top hat is facing the wrong but i fabricated it to face forward, will be in a later pic.

I couldn't get the servo to fit so went about fitting a bias pedal box, as its not for a manta i had to fabricate the bulkhead where the original fitted to accommodate the new set up

Making sure the steering column fitted between the pedals, the 2x master cylinders would now be inside the bulkhead and the reservoirs would sit just outside.

I had to then make a removable panel to cover the cylinders.

The small recessed section to the right in the picture is for the wiper motor.

Engine etc back out and engine bay prepped and primed

I wanted to paint the car a rich darker grey, only problem was i hadn't seen the colour on any other car, off to the paint supplier and looked through their Valspar paint chart and found the colour.

Listed as grey funny enough, so here is.

Different light different colour, it is a solid.

Shell now painted

Interior with soundeadener

Engine and gearbox getting ready to go back in

Had new from hubs made to five stud to match the rear Volvo axle, Saab calipers. cosworth discs.

I'll update soon once the engine is running, hopefully end of the week all being well!!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Nice work 👍

what was in the way for the std manifold? Booster, reservoir or whole thing?

Could of squeezed a Polo servo(booster) in but the master cylinder was hitting the inlet manifold so no go.

50 minutes ago, bris jas said:

Could of squeezed a Polo servo(booster) in but the master cylinder was hitting the inlet manifold so no go.

Thanks for that info, I did wonder if the std XE manifold would fit myself, but without trial you never know I guess.

What sizes are your master cylinders?

54 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Thanks for that info, I did wonder if the std XE manifold would fit myself, but without trial you never know I guess.

What sizes are your master cylinders?

.625 front and .750 rear

• Thanks 1