Sign in to follow this  
bris jas

Full Restoration + 400r Build 83 Coupe.

Yet again, wow! :thumbup

• Like 1

OK so shell is now completely solid, fitted new o/s cill and finshed off the rear inner arch and front lower a pillar

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I had a couple of small repairs to do on the top of the front panel above the lights, strangely both side had gone in the exact same place, anyway cut out treated with hydrate 80 and new pieces welded into place

I took both the doors and boot lid to my blasters on Friday as i want them to just blast the insides around the frame, this way i can see more easily what needs sorting. I know both doors will need some repair to the bottoms but hopefully only a small patch to the inner boot lid.

Next job while i wait for those to be returned is to start trying to fit up the Volvo 240 rear axle, not sure yet how far away the mounting points will be but its a good 5 link set up including panard bar and comes 5 stud with disc's as standard.

One thing i will have to over come is the fact the spring and shock are the different way around to the Manta set up, could always go coilover i guess!

• Like 4

This is quality work mate. Great to see what you can do when you know how to.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Can't believe i haven't updated my thread since April, where does the time go!

Next job now that the shell is rust free and solid was to fit the Volvo 240 rear axle, this is how it was

And after i had removed the bits i didn't need for fitting

So first i offered it up to the car to see how far away the mounting points were compared to the original manta, yep no where near and nothing i could use apart from the body mount for the panard rod.

Once the axle was cental between the arches i then took loads of measurements to ensure the axle was square and in the correct position, once happy with that i then went about making up new mounting sections

The nut will recess into the chassis leg as i want the bracket to fit flush for maximum welding

I tacked them in place first then refitted the axle to make sure all measurements were ok, all good so welded them in, also added a strengthing plate between the 2.

For ease i removed the panard rod mount from the manta axle and fitted to the Volvo axle, this way i can just use manta bushes on both ends. As the mount on the Volvo axle is closer to the centre than the manta one i made up an adjustable panard, this will also help to get the axle set up later on. (i forgot to take any pic's of this but will once back from the power coaters!).

As i want to fit rear seat to the manta i didn't want box sections inside so for the upper arms, after lots of thought alignment i managed to position the mounting points so i only had to make very shallow covering sections.

Final fitment of the axle to make sure all clears and sits where it should.

I couldn't get the spring and shock to work as they are located the other way around to the manta and the chassis was just in the way so i've had coilovers made, they will mount in the original shock inner arch mount position, i seamed welded this for extra strength so should be ok as my track manta is set up the same (although does have a cage) never had an issue there.

The rear and front axles have been completely stripped, all bushes removed ready for superpro bushes after its all been powder coated, just to mention the rear anti roll bar goes around the rear of the axle and attaches to both lower arms and not the body.

Once all happy i then finished prepping the underbody, checking all seems with sealer before masking up and spraying in Upol Raptor.

Just got the newly dipped and treated bolts etc back today, so just waiting on the suspension parts back from the powder coaters then i can fit them both suspensions up and get them back on the car.

Next stage after that will be to drop the car onto stands and start to fit the kit!!

Hope your still awake after reading all this 🤞.

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 4

Superb work - yet again....

This is all waayyyyy beyond my skill set!

• Like 1