New swan neck

H-400

Yes I know Jess, but when I didn't need the towbar I just dismantled the hook of the towbar and fitted an oval plate with a Belgian "B" on it so it was hidden.

Gonna rebuild the truck, lowered the roof 18cm and looking for a one piece aluminium new roof skin. Must fit a new floor and reinforce it to fit a car in it. So this will be something like a RV truck/service truck. The truck is allowed to load 2000kg so it must be possible. Used to drive these trucks so this one will go just fine:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Retirement is still strange for me, worked always with deadlines cause those tanks had to be ready... Thanks for asking Ian.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Retirement is still strange for me, worked always with deadlines cause those tanks had to be ready... Thanks for asking Ian.

Well if you are bored, maybe you want to take up a hobby 😂 like manta gearbox overhauling ? 🤣🤣

(PM me the address lol)

• Like 2

Hi everybody. Done some work on the front wings, the left side had some rust cause of stonechip but after repainting I noticed the colourcode was completely wrong! Used paintcolour of a silvermetallic Opel colour from the late 80's and looked ok on the coloursamples. 10 years ago the car had a total respray but yet I noticed the colour is the same as my 2009 Insignia. So again some sanding but this time I will buy the right colour.

And I started with the other wing, cleaning and let it dry under the sun so my lovely wife sended me this pic with her phone:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Think you all can translate her comment... ( Gardendecoration)

Have a nice weekend!

• Like 4

Doing a lot of bits but they don't show any progress, trying to fit the "400" boot spoiler but there is always some spaceon one side. So gonna use small wedge with a hole on the inside between the screw and the body to force it to the right direction. Looking for electricity to feed the electrical fan with a relay, switched by the front fog light switch. Some stone chip protection on the inside of the wings:

Sprayed and varnished some pieces that needed attention, this spot was rustfree (??) but to check it out you need to hurt the car:

It's beginning to look as a car! The front outer lights have some particals of corrosion fallen from the alu bulbholder, blastet some away with air. Would washing with destilated water be a good idea? 

Grts, Herman

• Like 1

Looking nice Herman 👍

I have flushed headlights out in the past with deionised/distillate water that you can buy for battery top up, but they was much bigger light units with larger openings. I used to dry best I could with gentle heat with hairdryer, then pack in a sealed box with dry rice to help get the remaining moisture out.

Thanks Jess, got a canister with 5 liter destilated water in my garage. Gonna try that. And yet I'm 2 months retired and I need the brake tester (on the rolls) and that thing to check the adjustment of the lightbeam😁. Should I sign in again? Think they won't let me, too old...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Thanks Jess, got a canister with 5 liter destilated water in my garage. Gonna try that. And yet I'm 2 months retired and I need the brake tester (on the rolls) and that thing to check the adjustment of the lightbeam😁. Should I sign in again? Think they won't let me, too old...

I just used to make my own pattern board using some white backed cont-board, surprising how good a job you can do  with it. You can probably do the same with a whiteboard if you have one, that way you can change the pen lines to suit.

• Thanks 1

One of the secrets of a wide body "400" is how the Capri indicators are fitted. I am a member of the German "Opel400Club" so some members have a wide body "400". Looked under the front spoiler/bumpers but it is hard to look at that place. So more than 25 years ago I fitted them as you can see this way: Fitted them under the screw that holds the inner metal frame and on the other side I fitted a bolt and made that on the outside invisible with filler. Used also some construction glue, the inside. You can see I used original Opel paperweights on the grills I gleud in:

And the outside:

And  the car is back on his wheels! Some pics of the rear where I fitted original GM/Opel shocks with air suspension. Was a rare option but you can buy them also from monroe:

And up:

Drove the car outside to check the clutch and brakes but noticed a sucking sound when I used the brakes. When I stopped the engine the sound was after some pushing away so I was thinking there is something wrong with the brake-servo. Then I realised the bottom side of the dash is removed, also the covers around the steering collumn and the fuses...

Maybe I am imagine things... Have all a nice weekend!

Edited by H-400

Fitted a damping mat on the floorpan, the insulating mat is after 38 year looking as a patchwork. Some pieces are fixed with insulation of trucks etc.:

The carpets on their place, repairing a kickpanel and wanted to fit the rather new pioneer stereo. Gets power on all the needed wires, mass also but stayed dead. Checked the fuse behind the Din-plug but was good. So I tried the old stereo of my Vectra and that one worked ok, one speaker is failing but that can not be difficult:

Today I had enough of wires and looms, sealed the thin gap so I I hope the back of the lights stay dustfree:

The GSI has got a face again 😄, had to use shims between the brackets of the frontbumper. The gap between the bumper and the wing was left 3mm and right more than 10mm, and fiddled a bit with the black trim to let it look acceptable. Repeaters work also:

With closed bonnet, needs also some adjustment:

Have a nice evening all, Herman

• Like 4

I use long bolts to fit the front bumper, they are easy to find with a spanner If you need to remove the bumper. I can recommend that when your Manta needs to be towed away:

Checking for rust, spraying some Dinitrol after fitting the skirts:

Painted the trim that surrounds the windows, and fitting them:

Cleaning before putting the rear window in the car:

I needed that special tool to put the plastic trim into the rubber, made it myself with thick steel wire and a vise-grip:

Grts, Herman

• Like 4

Had some work on the Corsa of my son, one of his friends slammed the door and the glass fell down. So my son was rather angry, and when we opened the doorcard and I said him we would  solve this problem in the morning. I showed him how to fix something like that, he workes in a Mercedes garage but some times he needs his old man... 

He always wanted an oldtimer for himself. I said to him you can drive the GSI when I take the "400" to meetings and have together fun with those two Manta's. So this is what he bought: A Nissan Sunny Coupé '88! He even asked me to give my opinion so what can a dad do in this case? That car looks ok, the chassisrails also and the interieur is as it's just out of the showroom. Engine runs nice and the car has got 120K's on the klock... 

The GSI: The interieur is back in the car, looks nice:

Fitted the widscreen wiper engine and wipers and some other things:

The rear bumper on it's place, together with the black thing (?) between the rear lights:

Did this years ago and also with my "400", cutting the rear "400"bumper so it doesn't touch the body:

Grts, Herman

• Like 6

Thanks Ian, the car had a complete paintjob about 10 years ago. Still looks good but has got some minor "patina" after that time. And my son is happy with the Nissan, needs MOT so made an appointment together with the Manta. 

• Like 1

I had a Sunny when I was a student, paid 80 quid for it, lasted me a full year and didn't spend a penny on it....bought a newer car (mk2 Cav) which failed on me right away, couldn't figure out what was up so got the mechanic out who spotted the Sunny and asked if I wanted rid... he gave me 80 quid off my bill 😁

• Like 4

This was my first car, beginning of the eighties! Was already in the army and also a spanner monkey but I solled it cause it spend more time in my workshop and not on the road:

A Datsun Silvia! Next foto of today: We both father & son working in our cars, I noticed the Nissan has got a full independed suspension at the rear but has got some flyrust so work has got to be done before MOT!  ( I took the pic, you'r all looking at my son, I'm not that thin anymore 😄)

Gonna use the upper switch of the front fog lights to activate the electrical fan in front of the radiator. That will be used to switch a relais on that will power the fan with the source of the electrical heated rear window. Hope my English is good enough to explain... 

Fitted 10 years ago a 21W bulb in the light cluster as a rear fog  light but this time we go LED:

Everything works but not happy with the dim ligts. Cleaned them with deminerilised water but the corrosion looks too bad, hope I can find a solution but more about this later:

Enjoy your weekend, grts Herman

• Like 7