New swan neck

H-400

Took the GSI out for his valuation report. Want to be sure the car won't be totall loss after a minor accident. Drove to the other side of Antwerp and showed the guy the pics on this forum.

When I drove home after a few km's the engine stalled. While I started the engine I listened and no click and no humming of the feul pump. So I tried the 2 cent trick and the car fired up:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

New feul relay is ordered at my carparts shop, happy this didn't happen on the highway

• Like 10

New feul relay is fitted and the engine does what it supposed to do, happy me. But the valve cover still leaks on one hole where it is screwed on the head. Makes me mad, want a dry clean engine and noticed cause of the "400" lookalike bonnet I need to dust of regulary the engine bay. 

The oil comes out through the bracket that holds the heating hose of the interieur heater, so closed/welded the 8mm hole and drilled it again to 6mm and going to use a rubber gasket when I fit it again:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

When I started this topic I found out an alu rocker cover of a GT (as I have) needs another kork gasket, not the same kork gasket as a CIH with the classic metal rocker cover. The holes in the gasket of a GT rocker cover are 6mm. After some searching noticed our friend Thomas (Edelschmiede) has got them:

https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Opel-GT-aluminum-rocker-cover-cork-gasket

• Like 1

Yesterday I had a postpackage of Edelschmiede:

I noticed when I drove 120km/h on my navy the speedometer showed 135km/h. Got a red plastic gear in my getrag240 and thought that type was standard. So did some calculating thanks Thomas his website and ordered the bleu one. After fitting this gear I tried the car again with the navy and when I drive 80km/h on the speedometer the navy gives 78km/h. When I drive 120km/h on the navy the speedometer gives approx. 123km/h. Rather important cause the French "Gendarmerie National" hides themself with speedoguns to check tourists. And the leak at my camcover looks to be repaired. 

Some other news came in: The GSI is valued at 23.000€, most important is that my car won't be totall loss after a minor incident. 

So Friday we leave with the Manta to the French Pyrenees, so what do I take with me:

That black box where you can keep stuf so it doesn't fly around in your boot. Spare bulbs, spare belt, module (ecu ignition), tie wraps, clutch cable, found a used but good feul relay, torque wrench, spare head gasket set, tool box with tipical Manta/CIH tools, multimeter, rotor, some HT leads, gasket sealer, rubber feul line etc... We are only with two so room enough in the car.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Yesterday I had a postpackage of Edelschmiede:

I noticed when I drove 120km/h on my navy the speedometer showed 135km/h. Got a red plastic gear in my getrag240 and thought that type was standard. So did some calculating thanks Thomas his website and ordered the bleu one. After fitting this gear I tried the car again with the navy and when I drive 80km/h on the speedometer the navy gives 78km/h. When I drive 120km/h on the navy the speedometer gives approx. 123km/h. Rather important cause the French "Gendarmerie National" hides themself with speedoguns to check tourists. And the leak at my camcover looks to be repaired. 

Some other news came in: The GSI is valued at 23.000€, most important is that my car won't be totall loss after a minor incident. 

So Friday we leave with the Manta to the French Pyrenees, so what do I take with me:

That black box where you can keep stuf so it doesn't fly around in your boot. Spare bulbs, spare belt, module (ecu ignition), tie wraps, clutch cable, found a used but good feul relay, torque wrench, spare head gasket set, tool box with tipical Manta/CIH tools, multimeter, rotor, some HT leads, gasket sealer, rubber feul line etc... We are only with two so room enough in the car.  

Many years ago i took the A series down to Hockenheim to see the German touring cars and took just about everything you could imagine, just in case! and the only issue we had for the whole week was my friend left the interior light on and flattened the battery!! I bet if we had not taken all that stuff something would have broken/gone wrong 🙂 You never can tell with an old car!

• 8 months later...

The Missus and me went to an art exhibition. She wanted to visit that place but I took the GSI out for a drive so we are both happy. The exhibition had also a part outside. But look first at some pics inside:

So if we all clean up our garages, sheds and shops we all are artists, we are as Picasso but with spanners no pencils 😁.

Outside I had the confirmation the nicest piece of art was standing on the car park:

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, H-400 said:

The Missus and me went to an art exhibition. She wanted to visit that place but I took the GSI out for a drive so we are both happy. The exhibition had also a part outside. But look first at some pics inside:

So if we all clean up our garages, sheds and shops we all are artists, we are as Picasso but with spanners no pencils 😁.

Outside I had the confirmation the nicest piece of art was standing on the car park:

I know art is subjective, but tat on a shelf omg 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Is it a McDonalds sign?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

If a tidy organised garage is art, what is a messy garage?  anarchy... I need to tidy my garage...

Russian fractured gas line, with McDonalds sign on top! Quick work, or prediction?

Natural order of things Chaos, so it must be beautiful 😀

15 hours ago, H-400 said:

They should  have involved the visitors by asking "which car have these parts come off".... so you could have hours of fun educating your wife or girlfriend!!!

• Haha 1

On 17/03/2019 at 18:04, H-400 said:

Some work has done at the workshop, must take some pics of it.

At home I cleaned up the front axle, degreasing and used rust converter before painting with hammerite:

Noticed this on the upper wishbones, never too old to learn:

Usually I check the rubber bushes to check what side the wishbone fits, but with cleaning I saw R and L.

Wanted to share this.

Grts, Herman

I've never noticed that before? Possibly just on 400s?

• 3 months later...

Today its the birthday of the Missus, so yesterday she arrived home from work and said she took the day of so we could spend some time together.   Me: Err Darling, tomorrow I'v got an appointment to get the GSI MOT'd.   But maybe we both go to the MOT and after that we do something together... 

So we did, we went to the MOT:

First stage is checking the papers of the car, vin plate and vin number stamped in the chassis. The same time they stick the exhaust tester in your cars ars and a minute later they test the brakes. (have no pic of this stage)

Next is the test of the lights, the MOT tester was so nice to show me there was one headlight not working so he gave me the opportunity to open the hood and fidle with the loom and yes all OK! Yesterday I checked everything no problems... In a mirror they test the rear lights, fog lights etc. Same stage they check the chocks, front & rear:

Last stage the car goes up on a bridge so they can check the chassis, the tyres and the suspension. You can see a wire going out of my car , that commands a solonoide piston that they fit between your front seat and the brake pedal:

The wheels are pushed to the front and back, left and right by the hydraulic plates where they are standing on. The front wheels are standing between "wedges" as you all can see and the same time they activate the brakes of the car with the solonoide piston. Not a nice thing to see your car is ripped to all sides... 

The MOT tester noticed the clean chassis, rear and front axle etc... He asked also about my white Manta (the 400) and I said him I went a few weeks ago on this place for MOT that car. Asked him if I was allowed to take some pics so no problem...

So the Manta is again MOT'd for two years, I'm a happy man cause France is waiting for us. The afternoon we went for a long walk and a fresh cool beer in a local pub. 

Grts, Herman

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Manta is ready to go, checked for oil leaks and looks like the alu rocker cover is dry. Noticed some years ago the 2.4 had too less feul at higher rpm's so yesterday I fitted a feul pressure regulator of a L-jetronic. The original LE jetronic is a 2.5 bar but the L jetronic is a 3 bar, so more feul and noticed it also on the exhaust CO test. 

Testdrive was also nice, engine revs better in the higher rounds . The car is loaded with lugage for 3 weeks in the French Pyrenees so we'll have some fun with the Manta.

We will make some pics I will post on this forum, so we will meet again end Juli...

Grts, Herman & Martine

• Like 8

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

The Manta is ready to go, checked for oil leaks and looks like the alu rocker cover is dry. Noticed some years ago the 2.4 had too less feul at higher rpm's so yesterday I fitted a feul pressure regulator of a L-jetronic. The original LE jetronic is a 2.5 bar but the L jetronic is a 3 bar, so more feul and noticed it also on the exhaust CO test. 

Testdrive was also nice, engine revs better in the higher rounds . The car is loaded with lugage for 3 weeks in the French Pyrenees so we'll have some fun with the Manta.

We will make some pics I will post on this forum, so we will meet again end Juli...

Grts, Herman & Martine

What was the CO % change Herman?  0.5Bar on the rail pressure increase static is quite a jump, but it’s a 20% increase, funnily enough same as the capacity increase from 2.0 to 2.4 👍

Still waking up, it is rather early... At the MOT I noticed the engine was too lean, 0,4% CO. After I fitted the other FPR the CO was 2,5%. Did the same calculation as you, 20% more feul. 

Grts! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, H-400 said:

Still waking up, it is rather early... At the MOT I noticed the engine was too lean, 0,4% CO. After I fitted the other FPR the CO was 2,5%. Did the same calculation as you, 20% more feul. 

Grts! 

That’s interesting indeed and a simple solution to fix the under fueling, great stuff mate 🍻👍

On 07/07/2022 at 20:46, H-400 said:

Is there a visual difference between the LE and L regulators? Is there a part number or pressure rating stamped on them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Moodoo, there is no visual difference, but they have partnumbers on them:

L-jetronic 3bar: 0 280 160 202

LE-jetronic 2,5bar: 0 280 160 205

0 280 160 239

Grts, Herman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something weird happened with the GSI on holiday in France. Didn't mention it in the story I posted a few days ago cause it's more technical. The Ford Mondeo of a friend had a flat battery so I jumpstarted him with cables to check the charge of the alternator. Charge was OK so after 7 years of life we went to the village to look for a new battery.

After a few seconds I noticed my RPM-gauge didn't work, as also the ones of the battery, temp and feul gauge. So something went wrong when I jumpstarted the Mondeo... Stopped the car to check the charge of my alternator but luckily that was OK, still got to drive to Belgium. The only gauges that work are ofcourse the speedometer and that stupid econometer. 

So in modern cars the alternator stops charging when the battery is 80% full, this cause of feul consumption reasons and envirement. But when the car (engine) decelerates the alternator will give 100% charge. Was talking about my problem the other day with a friend (mecanical at a dealer garage) and he said this charge can go up to 18Volt. So this will killed my gauges...

I knew my engine never overheated in those hot days thanks the special radiator I fitted, knew the consumption of feul so I checked my km-counter to fill the tank. In Paris we had some traffic jam so I started the electrical fan I fitted on the radiator. Arrived home without any problems so mow I already found some dashboards to repair mine... 

So if one of you guys want to jumpstart a modern car, think about this story.

By the way, we found a new battery for the Mondeo. After fitting the owner felt a bit guilty about my problem...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good advice @H-400, I’m glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing.

I’m having similar issues at the moment due to having the wrong alternator fitted to my car. There is a diode in the back of the volt meter as pointed out by @Jessopia74  but it doesn’t protect the warning light. I installed a separate diode in the light circuit and solved the problem. I don’t know if the diode I used was the wrong rating or there is some other problem because the warning light is back on again 😬

Is there a sequence to jointing jumper cables? + To + and - to - in that order. Reverse sequence when disconnecting. Making sure both ignitions are off when connecting.  Or am I wrong? 

Sounds like it wiped out the voltage regulator which points to fuel, temp, oil pressure. But the rev counter also? 

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Is there a sequence to jointing jumper cables? + To + and - to - in that order. Reverse sequence when disconnecting. Making sure both ignitions are off when connecting.  Or am I wrong? 

Sounds like it wiped out the voltage regulator which points to fuel, temp, oil pressure. But the rev counter also? 

That’s right mate, otherwise you could short the love to any part of the cars steel body

When I disconnect the cables I let both engines run, the Mondeo had an earth connection on the body. But noticed when I fitted the new battery that is simple connected with the earth of the battery. Was already checking the wiring plan of the Manta (on internet) and the + of the dash comes from the same + that feeds the fusebox. All the warning lights (indicators, handbrake, highbeams etc...) do still work. The voltage regulator feeds only the feul & temp. gauge but the voltmeter & rpm gauge get direct + and they don't work also. Think there is a possiblity my voltage regulator is burned also, it's an electronical one I fitted later. Didn't had time to take the dash apart, but will keep you all posted. Am invited on a BBQ to drink someones fridge empty 🍺

• Like 2