New swan neck

H-400

Some work has done at the workshop, must take some pics of it.

At home I cleaned up the front axle, degreasing and used rust converter before painting with hammerite:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Some nice things arrived from Germany, thanks @ Thomas from Edelschmiede:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

First I wanted to clean up the bolts and let them passivate them, but later I noticed the whole set was cheaper to buy 

then passivate the old stuff and transport it to the firm, buy new self-locking nuts and so on...

Sometimes the easy way is cheaper.

Noticed this on the upper wishbones, never too old to learn:

Usually I check the rubber bushes to check what side the wishbone fits, but with cleaning I saw R and L.

Wanted to share this.

Grts, Herman

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Some work has done at the workshop, must take some pics of it.

At home I cleaned up the front axle, degreasing and used rust converter before painting with hammerite:

Some nice things arrived from Germany, thanks @ Thomas from Edelschmiede:

First I wanted to clean up the bolts and let them passivate them, but later I noticed the whole set was cheaper to buy 

then passivate the old stuff and transport it to the firm, buy new self-locking nuts and so on...

Sometimes the easy way is cheaper.

Noticed this on the upper wishbones, never too old to learn:

Usually I check the rubber bushes to check what side the wishbone fits, but with cleaning I saw R and L.

Wanted to share this.

Grts, Herman

Can that be standard with the L and R?

I have a brand new set of upper wishbones bought a long time ago from billing and they aren't marked L or R

Hi Snowy, never seen this before so thats why I posted it. And it is also the first time I cleaned those wishbones that firm.

But if you look at the wishbones you can see there are some parts out of the centre, but to be sure I wil have a look at it 

tomorrow and take some pics of them. 

The other wishbone had also a "L" stamped in it, can always check it on my other Manta...

Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

The wishbone left is the left side of the car, ofcourse the right one belongs on the right side of the car,

the brackets of the shocks are out of the centre. To make it us easy, if you look at the wishbone and the bracket is 

more to the right side of the wishbone it is the right-side upper wishbone.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

the GSI is still at the painters workshop and ready to paint but the man has got a busy agenda. So nothing special to report.

Using my time to paint the front axle parts with black hammerite and the new rubbers of the lower arms arrived from Holland

together with the new bump-stops.

So I began (with my son so he can learn) with the engine.

Hystory of the engine: Bought it in a box, brandnew.(1993) Only the block with turning parts; this is the crankshaft with pistons and rods.

The last few thousends km's I heared a strange noise in my cilinderhead. Was something like a hydro valve had to much clearance, only at idle with a warm engine.

Oil pressure as new, changed the hyd. tappets to mecanical ones but the sound stays.  Checked the camshaft, looks ok. Went to France on holiday no problemo...

So gonna check the whole engine: Got that stuff of "Plasti-gage" (used it also in the past) to check the bearings, check the pistons (tumbling?) so we can go on 

holiday with this car without any problems.

The engine ready to open

a few hours later

engine open,

ready to check the bearings

The distribution chain is still ok, the rubber blocks are a bit worn but gonna replace them with new ones.

• Like 3

Well I have some good news and some bad news...

Checking the bearings of the crankshaft is the good news:

This is the string of "Plasti-gage" (green) on one of the main bearing of the cranckshaft, make sure that is degreased with something as brake-cleaner.

Also the bearing before putting it again on its place. This because the "plasti-gage" will mix itself with oil.

Then you torque the bolts  (11kgm), then you dismantle the bearing cap:

You can check the width of the "plasti-gage" and compare it with the paper marks on the wrapping.

As you can see this bearing has got a less than 0.050 mm, so still good. 

I checked also the bearings of the conrods and they are also good.

The bad news is that there is 0.25 mm space  (pistons without rings) between piston and cilinder. 

And the inside of the cilinders are at some places glased, so they need honing...

So I need another set of pistons, bigger than the standard width of 95.00mm.

Just ordered this set of pistons, normal Mahle pistons suitable for 95,50 mm cilinders.

The "old" pistons (95mm cilinders) are still in good condition (but the cilinders of the engine are worn) so I can use them to put them in a 1,9 engine after 

boring the cilinders.

• Like 1

Engine is completely naked, ready to bore to 95,50:

The crankshaft is waiting till she will be surrounded with new metal:

The new pistons will arrive wednesday and  ordered the new bearings (glyco), then I can bring the engine-block to the workshop 

to bore and hone it.  Maybe I can put new stem-seals in the head tomorrow? Sunday, will wait what the missus plans. 

• Like 1

Did a lot of sanding this week, but yes they started painting!

The first part was the bonnet, first in primer and then the inside with mattalic silver so we coold check the paint with the rest of the car.

And today there was a package from DHL:

The pistons landed! With rings and shafts. So we (my son also) threw the naked engine in the back of the Insignia together with the pistons and went 

to the engine reconditioning firm. They said end of next week the job will be done.

Next thing to do: New bushes in the lower arms (suspension)

I went to the barracks to press them hydraulic out and went rather good with the first two.

Then I looked to the last two and thought this needs a special way, just look:

It has got to go out, but the collar is in our way, the left side is smaller so it has got to go out to the right.

To be sure there is something like a special "Opel tool" I checked the Tech. Manual and thats the answer:

"Saw in the border and hammer the border to the inside"

I Gonna do it "My Way" as Franky said, gonna grind the border away, will be faster:

So very carefully and with a lot of smoke (rubber) I done it. Took some time, but well done.

So I thought gonna do it the Opel way with the other arm, took the cutting blade in the grinder and "sawed" in different places as Opel wanted:

Than hammered the edge to the inside and look:

Think the "Opel Way" is the better option, and yet the penetrating oil will work better. 

Sorry Franky, love "My way" but sometimes you got to do it another way...

Hi Evo, nice I could help you with this. Sprayed them with penetrating oil and gonna press them tuesday at the barracks.

Some pics I made today, the fresh painted hood:

Happy me! No more sanding. Then they said sanding with a block and "400" untill all the minor faults are gone.

Then sanding with the air-tool with "600" and then again with "800". Arrgh... 

Better news: The bearings arrived today:

Pict them up when I came back from the hospital, yeah going 56 and still want to follow those young lads without warming up...

A big muscle strain in the upper leg.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Today we are 29 years married, ordered a table at a local restaurant, so no updates. 

Not gonna push my luck...

How often do you buy tables Herman, are you having it delivered?!!!!!! Congratulations mate.

Edited by Julian
  • Like 1

Thank you all, will tell the Missus.

She went shopping with our doughter so I installed the L & R top wishbones on the frontaxle with the new goodies from Thomas (Edelschmiede).

We are having an apéritif at this moment and ready to go to that table! 

Hmm, lets say the Insignia had some influence on my plans:

The right rear brake caliper got stuck on the highway and heated up the whole disc/caliper/bearing.

So I had to take everything apart:

The discs and the pads were not completely worn, the electric handbrake does his job so after resetting the cilinder of the 

caliper with that special tool I will check everything. The whole system was filled with a lot of debris and rust, maybe that was the problem?

So no Manta-update.

Typical, that's cars summed up really isn't it?

The moment you think you are winning and getting on top of things, one of them kicks you in the nuts and reminds you who is really in charge of your life  :lol:

Look on the bright side though, at least you had the time, skills and the tools to tackle the job yourself :thumbup

Hi Ian, looks as it was planned. The things with the GSI were looking good but want this car running to take it to GB for summerholiday.

So I hope time is on my side...

The Insignia will be no problem, I will order the parts tomorrowmorning. 

Got some days over to take free cause I am 11 months from retirement. Maybe it's time to take them...

Well, been at the bodyshop last friday. Nothing happened.😡

Had a clear talk with the manager, said if I'm back from the barracks his shop is allready closed. So I can't use the evening time to work on the car.

I see a lot of cars going in and out and mine stays untouched, and I have too much work to take free...

If the car would be at my place I could work the whole weekend on it. Lets say ther was some tension between us, so he promised the car would be 

painted at the end of the next week...

Done some work on the front axle, and the last 2 bushes are pressed in the lower arms.                                                                                                                                                                              Next thing to do is cleaning the springs but there is something strange with them: One has got a white mark so it is a 20S/1.9S spring. The other one has got a partnumber and is a 2.0E spring with airconditioning? Noticed this cause they are different in hight. 

And than the news came in the engineblock is ready!  So the engine is hanging ready to complete but first I will complete the front axle so I can get the car from the bodyworker.                        Boring to the next size, honing, plane the surface of the block and drilling an extra hole was 300€! Think this is cheap...

• Like 3

After work done some cleaning and painting:

Think this part is made in 1987!

And I thought only to fix that chassis rail:

Front axle is almost ready, "Danke Thomas fur die schöne schrauben"

And because with the refitting of the axle the dust-plates of the brakes are easy bended, the discs and calipers together with the hubs make it heavier, 

so I made a high-tec solution to protect the shaft:

"The Paris Hilton version is also available with a gold split-pen..." 

• Like 3

Tried friday to install the springs of the front axle while that thing was laying on a workbench. With a professional spring compressor ofcourse... Lets say it is not that easy as the axle is under the car. So did this today; the man gave me the keys of his workshop and I had time on my side. Wake my son so he could help me a hand. Hmm...Clean engine-bay:

The axle was fast installed, yes I know the steering house is not done but it will;

The "400" lookalike bonnet looks great, hope this time it doesn't crack around the scoops:

And the car arrived !! So I can work on free time. My son behind the wheel and go! I connected tamporary a battery to the circuit that feeds the hazzard lights and used my tow-bar. Was only 2 km's to home:

And now I'm going to drink a beer, done enough today. Enjoy jour weekend all.

• Like 3