New swan neck

H-400

Herman, just where i am at the moment, building a rear axle. It is a 1981 manta b, needs some welding, but rebuilding it also, needs complete new brake equipment, fittings kit, shoes, drums, cylinders, i have removed half shalfs to remove backing plates for rust treatment. I have manual adjusters, but are ceased, will not budge, also are these held with circlip? 

Great work as always, are spring seats replacements are covers, new over old? 

Will have a look at them, got also manual adjusters. First of all a lot af WD-40...

The spring seats are covers, and look robust. So gonna clean the old ones and treat them against rust and weld the new ones over them. Got another axle in stock 

but I'm not sure about the condition of the bearings. 

Looks like the adjusters are held on the inside with something like a circlips.

Have removed the rust with a grinder, the inside of the rail looks OK, not as the front chassis-rails:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Made a template of it in cardboard so wil copy it in metal, did this on both sides:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

Made some nice replacement patches of 3mm steel. This because there are 2 layers af steel where I grinded the hole. I grinded those patches with an angle so the welded seem goes till the inside. But as you all noticed the car is outside, yes under a carport but the wind is blowing and no, not welding. Tried but the result after a few seconds was bad, so sorry, no updates...

No winds day today, would Winnie say to master Robinson... How does that come in my head?? 

So took my welding tools and tried again with succes:

and after :

Did this also on the other side. Time to begin on the rear axle!

• Like 3

Today it was again a windy day, so no welding on the rear axle... Did some other work, the diff cover needed some straightening after hurting with a jack,

and made a new gasket , sorry Thomas (Edelschmiede):

Refitted the brakes with a new set of springs and brakecilinders:

Had some time over so began with the feul pump, took this pic so I can remember how to rebuild it:

Grts, Herman

• Like 1

The rear axle; I have those spring seats to cover the old ones but I noticed they are as thick as the original ones. Thought if I cover the original spring seats water and debris will stay in the space between them and rust gets a free game. So I did this: Grinded the rotten metal away and fixed the new one as a template:

Cutted with the grinder the new one a lot larger so it just fitted into the original one and gave it some spot wells:

After that I welded the other side, not gonna win a price for beatifull welding but it is good for more years:

Need to drill the water outlet hole and some fresh paint...

• Like 6

Great work herman, i honestly never thought of this, i had to make rear section that holds shock and tie bar. This was difficult, 3mm steel, one piece, from axle to bottom of spring seat, complete with 4mm strengthing plate, i really do need my own project thread! 

Great work, i wonder can i make and form the section you replaced? 

As i am on a budget, broke, eager to learn, and willing to try! I an thinking a round steel ball? Em..........

Hi Evo, I think with help of a hydraulic press it must be possible to make that section that I needed to repair my axle. 

Problem is how to make it...As you wrote push a steel ball into a metal plate that has got the shape of the last turn of the spring...

Edited by H-400

Some more info: The rear axle is painted and looks OK:

Did some things on the engine, waterpump is ready to install, adjusting the camshaft and fresh paint. Was looking for those last three screws of the waterpump and

at last I found them in that special plastic box we all have to keep our golden engine parts.

@Andy: I'v got two dipsticks! 😂(joke) Gonna use the original pipe for a breather. The alu-rocker cover needs cleaning . Want to spray it in black wrinkle paint with 

the "Opel" in alu, project for "later".

Had some time over so, I painted some other parts of the rear axle. First cleaning, derusting with steel brush and grinder. Same as the rear axle, after that treating 

the naked steel with rustconvertor and painting it with hammerite metal paint:

Grts, Herman

Edited by H-400
  • Like 2

In a few mitutes we are going for a weekend out to the "Ardennes", south east of Belgium. (Where the poeple talk strange as you are in France...)

So no updates for a few days... Said to my wife I have enough to do on the Manta but she says "Than you didn't had to work so much on others car".

She has got a point, have a nice weekend all.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, H-400 said:

Some more info: The rear axle is painted and looks OK:

Did some things on the engine, waterpump is ready to install, adjusting the camshaft and fresh paint. Was looking for those last three screws of the waterpump and

at last I found them in that special plastic box we all have to keep our golden engine parts.

@Andy: I'v got two dipsticks! 😂(joke) Gonna use the original pipe for a breather. The alu-rocker cover needs cleaning . Want to spray it in black wrinkle paint with 

the "Opel" in alu, project for "later".

Had some time over so, I painted some other parts of the rear axle. First cleaning, derusting with steel brush and grinder. Same as the rear axle, after that treating 

the naked steel with rustconvertor and painting it with hammerite metal paint:

Grts, Herman

Hey Herman

I thought you had one dipstick for the full line and one for the empty 🙂

I just had a weekend away to take the girls shopping! Could have got mine all finished if not! still there is always next weekend as they say. Enjoy your trip.

Hi Andy, maybe I got to keep it this way untill the first meet, always people curious with questions 😉.

Meanwhile: We had a great weekend in the "Ardennes", had a lot of fun and had some beers (burps) so I was sure I had a good sleep...

The Manta: The rear axle is done, ready to build in. Did a lot of work on the chassis, 10 years ago also but it looks as time was nice to my car. Some surface rust above the silencers of the exhaust, as also above the crossbeam where the drive shaft fits. And above the feul pump. 

The bummer: I checked also the spare wheel well, and found also some rust and treated it. Noticed there was more than expected because 10 years ago I delivered a new well. The reason was clear: There was no primer used and saw that someone even took no time to clean the burned paint on the tow-bracket after welding:

After welding I grind the seam, use rustconvertor and special anti-rust metal paint primer... Maybe I am too punctual.

Grts, Herman. 

• Like 3

After using a putty-knife and a steel brush on a drill to remove the undercoating I used this to this to remove the surface rust:

Work in progress:

Normally we do the chassis first, I am doing it all wrong...Thought my work of 10 years back was still good. But under the surface rust everything looks OK.

• Like 1

The surface-rust is removed. Treated those spots with rustconvertor and painted with hammerite metal paint.

But this weekend we have our springmeet with the Opel400Club so had to do some work on the "400", the rubber boot needed to be replaced:

Than I had to check my engine, wanted to stall. Noticed some greasy spark plugs so after almost 40 years the stemseals  will be the next winterproject. The Ignition was too late on idle so set it a bit earlyer. Normally a "400" engine needs to be set at high rounds so there must be something that needs attention, but not today! 

Pics of the meet will follow, have all a nice weekend.