New swan neck

H-400

Sprayed the whole chassis with stone-chip protection, makes the car look as new 😊:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Cleaned the springs, roll bar and also the steering rack. New rubbers and grease, a bit paint and looks factory fresh:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 3

Thanks Evo, at that time I will be as young as my dad so it must be possible! About the exhaust: The two silencers looked pretty good but I couldn't separate them without hammering them into the scrap-yard. So cause the rear axle was out it was not necessary, but I didn't want that they broke in two so I welded a nice tube around the connection. If you all look at the picture above you can see the new metal... This morning my son wanted to help me and I said to remove the surface-rust and yes he sanded a hole into the last silencer. All the work for nothing so took the grinder to separate the two silencers. Have a new one, 35 years old and original Opel, looks as new:

These are the rear shocks, they have an air chamber to lift the car to normal position with extra load. Always great when going on holiday with top box and extra bikes on the back:

Did this also with 4 bikes, the Manta can handle it.  And the rear axle is back on it's place:

Grts, Herman

• Like 3

Cleaned up the bottom dash in the bath-tub, the missus is used of those situations. Sometimes I put something in the oven to heat up or she finds an axle shaft in the freezer. First I removed the sigarette lighter ofcourse:

Noticed there was a plastic pin broken behind the glove-compartment, it fits in a bracket with a rubber on the bulkhead. Did some drilling and putted a screw in the rubber of the bracket:

So the missus can load the glove-compartment with heavy stuff to stay beautiful 😁.

In the afternoon I went to the bodyshop to get the last piece: The front bumper:

The steering rack on it's place:

Cleaned up the gearbox and sprayed it with metal varnish:

Some more pieces cleaned up:

Cleaned up the heater box and began with some brake parts. I am wondering how to make that insulation stuff back beautiful black again. Shoe polish? Or that liquid to make tyres black again?:

And the heater box back in the car:

Grts, Herman

• Like 5

Thanks Ian, did some work in the car so the dash is back where it belongs:

Gonna be realistic with the work the car needs, think our visit to the UK will be with the Insignia. The Manta needs a lot of work to be done so I have peace with that thought. Started with changing the new swan neck but there were more isseus with my car. But one day I will visit the UK with that car, did it already with the "400" and that was a great expierence. 

Because of the heat last days I fitted shades in our veranda. Assambled some rails in the top of the glass roof and I looked to the other side of our garden: She  is waiting :

Pic is zoomed in and going to make sure the car will be on its wheels to move it to a garage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, had a lot to do but also on not GSI related works. The most important is the 400 that got "oldtimer" MOT'd. This is cause of those low emmision environment zones in the major cities of Belgium. So all the years I owned the 400 I MOT'd it as a regular car. It is the most strict MOT so I can proof the car is safe. If you MOT the car as an oldtimer the emision test is not that strict but the brake and suspension test is the same as a daily as the test of chassis condition and lights .So with oldtimer numberplates we are allowed in some low emission zones but that has got more to do about the allowed use of them. No work traffic is one of the important bans.

The GSI: The brake pressure valve looked rusty but this one will be replaced by a bronce one. Looks much better.

The brake-servo and some insulation on its place:

Cleaned up master cilinder and brake pressure valve:

Everything in the car:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Had to take another set of dust-covers cause they were damaged. After making them rustfree and folding them to fit the Rekord 2.2E brakes I gave them some new paint:

After fitting them I noticed they touched the lower arm:

Cutting with the grinder, again some paint and yes it looks OK:

Adjusting the bearings after giving them new grease:

Cleaning the calipers, dirty vs clean:

New flexible brake hoses, you all saw I used the old brake pads but everything was tagged so it is on the same place as before:

And a new flexible hose to the rear brakes:

Next thing to do is adjusting the rear brakes, connecting the handbrake-cable and bleeding the brake-system. 

Have a nice weekend!

• Like 6

Thanks Bandid, the Manta is yet tucked away cause I had to valuate the "400" for the insurance and over a few days we leave for Scotland. Tomorrow got to fit new brakes on my truck so I can go to the MOT. This truck will be my project when the GSI is ready: Making a rallyservicecar/mobilhome. 

So this topic will be quit for some time, grts Herman

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm back. But didn't do anything on the Manta. What I did (of topic) do was preparing the truck for MOT. The new brakes are fitted and checked the lights and so on. But didn't pass the Belgian MOT. "Your speed limiter is behind date" (Don't know how to say that in English) Me: "Urh?" In the army I drive trucks that are together with the tank on the flatbed 100 tons heavy.  We have also speed limiters but they are never calibrated... Some of our armoured vehicles (25 ton heavy) are not limited and they do 70M/h, civilian truckdrivers look suprised when I overtake them at the highway😁. So the truck is in a workshop to check the speedlimiter, while I was doing that:

And for the first time one of my cars has got a "O" numberplate. I was always proud to have a regular plate on my oldtimer so I could prove my car is technical 100% save as other modern cars. But because of the environment rules oldtimers are only allowed to enter a city with "Oldtimer numberplates":

Friday we drive to the Nürburgring for our meet with the Opel400Club, we will take some pics of course! 

Grts, Herman

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Two gearboxes: 

One is for me and the other one for Canada.  I was some time away cause the work at the barracks, and have some health issues. 

And a new oil seal before fitting the flywheel:

• Like 3

Fitting the flywheel, for those that are going to do the same: Remind the "P bolt", very important. This is a flywheel of a 6-cilinder, because the clutch of a GSI 2.0 was not strong enough to handle the 2.4:

This is the 9 inch clutch: The same as a 2.2 and 2.5 and 2.8. And I opened once my "400" engine and it looked the same:

Filling the oil pump before starting the engine, also fitting a new oil filter (with oil) :

Driving the oil pump with a drill, till you see the oil coming out the rockers of the head. So you are sure the engine, crankshaft, camshaft is filled with oil before starting the engine:

Grts, Herman

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while I posted something, military doc sended me home cause my back is killing me. Needed a chair to get my legs into my overall...Yet I am watching Wheeler-Dealers and Car-SOS, checking this forum sometimes and looking for parts on internet... So I ordered two sets of ignition leads (Magnecor) on a Ebay shop. Those leads are hard to find in Belgium and a mate needed them. When ordering those two sets I noticed they charged two times the shipping price to Belgium while it was possible to send it as one parcel. So I sended a message and they replied very fast to order those sets and they will refund the extra shipping price.   So I ordered those sets (with paypall/master card) yesterdayevening and this morning I recieved a message the extra shipping-cost was already refunded! Thats service! The shop:  Race Spec Performance Ltd. 

Some pics a a few days back: New seal on the front:

New release bearing, still available in our carparts shop. Some copper past on the ball and on the shaft:

New rubber of Edelschmiede:

Grts, Herman

Looking good Herman 🙂

Opel GT Source in the US do a nice S10 clutch that fits the bigger flywheel which is very nice and seemed to work well on mine when it was finally up and running on Wednesday!

just in case any one is looking for other clutch options

http://www.theopelproject.com/?p=1464

A quick question for you on clutch adjustment. Im using a hydraulic master cylinder for the clutch and when adjustment should the release bearing touch the fingers on the clutch plate or sit slightly off? as it wasn't that clear in the manual and just said there should be no play on the clutch arm??

Andy

Hi Andy, I think the relaese bearing touches the fingers. If the bearing is worn you can hear it "singin" while the engines runs. Think also the weight of the clutch-pedal will push the release-bearing against the fingers. The special thing about the 9" clutch is the setting of the clutch fork. All the CIH's must be setted 109mm but the 9" 120mm. 

grts, Herman

7 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Andy, I think the relaese bearing touches the fingers. If the bearing is worn you can hear it "singin" while the engines runs. Think also the weight of the clutch-pedal will push the release-bearing against the fingers. The special thing about the 9" clutch is the setting of the clutch fork. All the CIH's must be setted 109mm but the 9" 120mm. 

grts, Herman

Thanks Herman. I thought that might have been the case but wasn't too sure. Interesting to know about the setting. Is that the measurement from the front of the bell housing to the clutch fork like they specify in the manual? I set mine to the standard so if its 11mm different on the 9" i might have to do a little adjustment!

That's it as you wrote:

At Opel they have a special tool for it, sorry it is in German. This is tool KM-330 and the large side is 9" clutch (120mm). The smaller side is for the other ones(109mm):

Happy I could help you. the only thing I done today that has to do with the GSI is buying gearbox-oil. Bought enough cause the "400" needs also new oil:

The rest of the day I was washing the "400", cleaning the engine-bay and yes, repairing a feul leak. Been a month back to the MOT and from there a trip to the Nürburgring and suddenly I noticed a wet trail in my garage after driving the car outside.  Later my wife came back from shopping and she said "The car was looking great again".  Tomorrow we are going to that "400-meeting" in Holland, just on the other side of the border. She loves to go out with me so she can meet again some other girls of piston heads.    You all love pics so this one of my engine-bay:

Will take some pics tomorrow!

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while that I did something on the GSI. Had to go to the hospital cause of my heart-condition, every year they calculate what the risk is to operate me against the risk that I will die cause of the condition. Again on topic: Did some work on the GSI, pushed the car into my garage together with my son to put the engine/gearbox into the car. A look at the naked enginebay:

The engine together with the gearbox ready to install:

It is a 9 inch clutch so it needs 120mm adjustment:

Always a strange look as you put the engine/gearbox into the body:

Me and my son, we have a lot of fun working together on those old cars. Today we went for a drive with the "400". He asked me if the GSI had also such a difficult clutch and gearbox. 

Engine almost fitted, had to install the gearstick knob and other things...

Engine & gearbox fitted: Ready to fix the wires and so on.

Grts, Herman

• Like 6