New swan neck

H-400

Thanks Ian, and yes a good health is the most important. Together with family & friends. But I had also good news, my vanes are very clean. So the blood pressure stays good also when I do exercises. 

• Like 3

Assembled the feul pump, cleaned new filters and rubber silentblocks together with new lines. Some fresh paint and looks as new. Sad to put this away under the car in a dirty envirement where it will never see the light of the day:

Before:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Also new feul lines to the pump unit:

And my son took care of the propshaft, clean and fresh painted:

Noticed the metal feul lines were blocked with residu of white stuff. So I'm going to use them to copy them and install new ones.

Grts, Herman

Edited by H-400
  • Like 5

Thanks Andy, today it is also raining in Belgium. And yes it is one of those days... Spend a few hours looking for the clamps and bolts together with the security/locking plates to fix the propshaft on the axle. But they moved to a very secret place in a box on the North-side of the Himalaya. Finally I found them together with a lot of bolts that were cleaned in our workshop of the barracks... So no new pics, but Mike (topic Mikes Manta) showed us some pics "before and after" and that was great to see the progress:

and after:

Grts, Herman

• Like 3

On 2/11/2019 at 16:24, H-400 said:

Sad to put this away under the car in a dirty envirement where it will never see the light of the day:

Have you thought of fitting it in boot, right hand side boot, support from floor for quarter panel support. It would save your pump also.

Looks too good to hide and destroy. 

• Like 1

Hi Jess, the pressure regulator is fitted on the fuel rail on the engine. This is a regulator to compensate the pulses of the fuel pump, and they are hard to find.  I cleaned it and gave it a fresh paint. The pre-filter is still available at Dr.Manta, I fitted a new one. I remember when I googled the Bosch partnr. of the compensator they are still for sale somewhere but not cheap. Must have that partnr. somewhere... Will look for it.

OEM number: 90067820  Opel:8 18 545   Bosch:0 280 161 006

Edited by H-400
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Hi Jess, the pressure regulator is fitted on the fuel rail on the engine. This is a regulator to compensate the pulses of the fuel pump, and they are hard to find.  I cleaned it and gave it a fresh paint. The pre-filter is still available at Dr.Manta, I fitted a new one. I remember when I googled the Bosch partnr. of the compensator they are still for sale somewhere but not cheap. Must have that partnr. somewhere... Will look for it.

OEM number: 90067820  Opel:8 18 545   Bosch:0 280 161 006

Thanks Herman,

part number works a treat, but you are correct over £150. (https://www.autoteiledirekt.de/bosch-677418.html)

I do wounder if the compensator is even needed with modern pumps, something to check out I guess.

pcGOof0.jpg&key=0bf81324261620b160c75b6794ff52b890f0d5802c407949e45b0f6b52cddfd1

If you look at the operation, fuel enters damper, then pump, pump pressurises at 3.0bar, then pressure valve set at 3.0 bar,  then filter, up front it enters T piece, feeds injectors and is returned by the pressure regulator. 

I think the damper is not needed? Maybe opel used it as a 90˚ elbow. 

Cant see why if pump is 3.0bar, as pressure compensater is needed? But if it is, maybe an artmarket part is available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Feul enters first in the pre-filter (black) then into the pump. From there into the puls-damper en so into the fine-filter (silver). From there to the front of the car where the pressureregulator sets the pressure to 2,5 (LE jetronic) or 3,0 (L jetronic grey injectors)bar. As Evo mentioned there are discussions about the damper, my first Manta was a carb and I rebuilded to injection and I drove years without damper and never had problems...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Propshaft is on it's place, aswell the fuelpump. After some searching I found yesterday what I was looking for: Copper line 8mm with rubber insulated, they used it years ago with LPG autogas systems. Yet they use flexible hoses made of fibre. Those lines copper lines are ideal to use as fuelline cause the rubber protects it against corrosion. I used the old lines as a template. Made them longer under the seat so I can adjust the lines to the chassis:

As you all can see the garden furniture is allready in wintermode😥

Grts, Herman

• Like 3

Hi Ian, wintertime is ready to stay. So I got to move the cars to keep warm, the "400" stays in my garage but I also rent a garage 10 yards from my garden. But yet we have some nice dry days and a long weekend so the carport (5x6 meters with 2 closed walls) is also nice to work. Allways moving cars to work😁...

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Interesting, and a big thank you, very much appreciated. It is almost like industrial, commercial LPG gas pipe, 8mm copper with pvc coating. 

I thought that, well not gas, but the micro-bore central heating pipes I have in my walls, also soft enough to bend about easily. Think they are 10mm or 8mm, but maybe ideal too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wednesbury-pvc-coated-copper-pipe-white-10mm-x-25m/34388?tc=BT4&ds_kid=92700020952479226&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9Oenrnl5QIVSrDtCh2eFQw6EAQYASABEgJox_D_BwE

Had some time to work on the Manta, but you all love pics so the feul pump clean under the car, MOT rules in Belgium are very strict so it stayes there till after MOT:

The propshaft on its place:

And the new feul lines yes on their original place but this job is not ready yet. Needed a pipe cutter but a friendly neighbour lend it to me after  I ended working at the car. But thanks anyway!

Filled the gearbox with oil and because I had no pump to use (I use them from the workshop at the barracks😁) I did what we do in emergency's: Take a silicone hose and cut it in an angle, drill a hole in the cap of the oil bottle so the hose fits tight in it. Put the hose in the bottle untill it toughes almost the bottom. Then you can pump the oil in the gearbox, keep the bottle vertical, after pushing the oil loosen the cap to let air again inside and pump again.  If you are somewhere in Africa we do not always have the tools to work but the army learns to be inventive:

This one is also for Andy Abbott cause he 's got the same rocker cover: I had in the past some oil leaks from that cover, so I ordered a gasket of a 2.4 frontera/omega and it looks ok. The chape of our cover is a bit different so I had to cut a small part at the front:

The rubber gasket fits nice:

And this is the partnr. to order it, the brand is Victor Reinz so can't be a problem:

Don't order them right now, still got to test it with a running engine! 

Grts, Herman

• Like 3