New swan neck

H-400

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Had some time to work on the Manta, but you all love pics so the feul pump clean under the car, MOT rules in Belgium are very strict so it stayes there till after MOT:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The propshaft on its place:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

And the new feul lines yes on their original place but this job is not ready yet. Needed a pipe cutter but a friendly neighbour lend it to me after  I ended working at the car. But thanks anyway!

Filled the gearbox with oil and because I had no pump to use (I use them from the workshop at the barracks😁) I did what we do in emergency's: Take a silicone hose and cut it in an angle, drill a hole in the cap of the oil bottle so the hose fits tight in it. Put the hose in the bottle untill it toughes almost the bottom. Then you can pump the oil in the gearbox, keep the bottle vertical, after pushing the oil loosen the cap to let air again inside and pump again.  If you are somewhere in Africa we do not always have the tools to work but the army learns to be inventive:

This one is also for Andy Abbott cause he 's got the same rocker cover: I had in the past some oil leaks from that cover, so I ordered a gasket of a 2.4 frontera/omega and it looks ok. The chape of our cover is a bit different so I had to cut a small part at the front:

The rubber gasket fits nice:

And this is the partnr. to order it, the brand is Victor Reinz so can't be a problem:

Don't order them right now, still got to test it with a running engine! 

Grts, Herman

Herman

Used one of these on mine as never could get the cork one to seal on the GT rocker covers and had the engine running up at the engine tuners and never had one drop of oil leak out of it so definitely the one to use on these alloy covers. 🙂

Hi Andy 611, thanks for the confirmation. Had also always problems with the cork seal, leaked on the front where the two inbus-bolts are fitted. So Andy Abbot (thanks for the comment) can try this seal too.    Am just home, went to see "Le Mans 66" with my son, movie for petrol heads!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Andy 611, thanks for the confirmation. Had also always problems with the cork seal, leaked on the front where the two inbus-bolts are fitted. So Andy Abbot (thanks for the comment) can try this seal too.    Am just home, went to see "Le Mans 66" with my son, movie for petrol heads!

Herman

There is also a very nice rubber sump gasket for the old steel pan that replaces the 4 part one that works just as good as the rocker cover one, have you seen that one?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andy, thanks for info. I saw it also so it is hanging in my garage ready to use !

So it has been a while I posted something, an update: The radiator is delivered and looks very nice. 50mm thick core with 43 cooling channels. Costed me with mailing 180€. 

Last week I took the decision the "400" has got to go...😥  To the winter storage in company of a lot of other old-timers😊.  Need also the space to work on the GSI. So the day I wanted to drive to that location the car didn't start. Like the car knew it had to leave my garage. Checked some basic things and I had no ignition! The low voltage circuit was ok, also the resistors and the coil also. So got to check the wires that come from the "hall-sensor":

Problem is this distributor is rather rare, got to check if the hall-sensor of a GSI is the same and so on...

I will keep you all posted... 

Grts, Herman

• Like 3

On 05/10/2019 at 00:22, H-400 said:

That's it as you wrote:

At Opel they have a special tool for it, sorry it is in German. This is tool KM-330 and the large side is 9" clutch (120mm). The smaller side is for the other ones(109mm):

Hey Herman

As mine is a hydraulic setup its quite hard to adjust as i have set all the lengths to be set for the standard setting in the book and its all set in place with loctite. What issues could i come across if i leave it set as it is? and do you know why the distance was more for the bigger clutch?

Andy

shouldnt do any damage providing there is still some free play in the lever when released.and not hitting the front when pressed either.

i always thought the different dimention was because some clutches had the nylon / plastic thrust ring fitted on the fingers ? but then so did the later smaller clutch too.

or was the larger clutch fitted with a different (cast iron rather than steel )operating fork. was this longer ? hence the slight different adjustment ?

Hi Andy, sorry for the late response. Was late yesterday, opening of the new building of our athletic club. Bar is tested and proven as good!

The only thing I can imagine is the pressure plate is a bit higher? The 11mm difference on the top of the lever will be maybe 5mm on the release bearing so as cam in head wrote I think also it won't hurt your clutch. My clutch has got that plastic ring also but the "400" not, so I have to adjust them both identical but one without plastic ring... Think a lot of 9" clutch owners set their clutch to the standard 8,5" setting cause they just never heard about that difference.

• Like 1

Another update: The "400" is back alive! I reinstalled the old 'contact ignition' so had to search for that resistor wire and so on. When I installed that nice 'Eighties' electronic ignition I made the loom so it looked factory made. Had to cut all those wires out without damaging the original ones. Refitting the original coil and rewiring the original cables. 

And the engine didn't start... Checked the voltage of the resistor wire, voltage on the green wire with mass and without to be sure😵. So I was thinking what I did just before the problems: I cleaned all the mass cables of the engine, the big + cables on the starter-engine. I cleaned them all, but the inside screw-threads were cleaned with contact cleaner. So I took a thread tap to clean those and some minutes later the engine started and runs as new 😮.

So I changed that ignition set too fast, but yeah got to check that dizzy cause I think the springs are too weak...And what have we learned: Contact cleaner can leave a residu, very strange: the engine turns when starting, but no ignition. So I had a better look and a "400" has got an extra loom on that mass cable of the battery.  Enjoy your Sunday-evening, Herman

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

shouldnt do any damage providing there is still some free play in the lever when released.and not hitting the front when pressed either.

i always thought the different dimention was because some clutches had the nylon / plastic thrust ring fitted on the fingers ? but then so did the later smaller clutch too.

or was the larger clutch fitted with a different (cast iron rather than steel )operating fork. was this longer ? hence the slight different adjustment ?

Im running a chevy s10 clutch from Opel GT Source, so not sure how that compares the CIH 9" as far as height etc.. i will do some double checking on clearance but it all seemed fine when i had her up to be tuned.

http://www.theopelproject.com/?p=1464

6 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Andy, sorry for the late response. Was late yesterday, opening of the new building of our athletic club. Bar is tested and proven as good!

The only thing I can imagine is the pressure plate is a bit higher? The 11mm difference on the top of the lever will be maybe 5mm on the release bearing so as cam in head wrote I think also it won't hurt your clutch. My clutch has got that plastic ring also but the "400" not, so I have to adjust them both identical but one without plastic ring... Think a lot of 9" clutch owners set their clutch to the standard 8,5" setting cause they just never heard about that difference.

Good to know the bar is ok Herman 🙂

I never would have known that there was a different setup for the bigger clutch without your info and probably would just have gone on the standard setting. I will do some checking and keep a check on things when i finally get her up and running properly.

good news on the 400 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

The "400" is in his winterstorage, so I'v got some space free to work! The car stays nice & dry under the big carport but it is just too cold to work. 

Pushing the GSI on his place with the Insignia, my son helped me a hand:

And the car on its place: Warm & dry:

Enjoy your Sundayafternoon, grts Herman

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

The "400" is in his winterstorage, so I'v got some space free to work! The car stays nice & dry under the big carport but it is just too cold to work. 

Pushing the GSI on his place with the Insignia, my son helped me a hand:

And the car on its place: Warm & dry:

Enjoy your Sundayafternoon, grts Herman

Very nice Herman. My garage is dry but cold, so not much fun working on the Manta in the winter 😞 Im hoping for some dry and slightly warmer weather over the festive period so i can get a few bit sorted on mine. Have a great Christmas Herman 🙂

Andy

It is the reg.plate of the Insignia, I towed the Manta from the bodyshop with the Insignia. And in Belgium a car that is not able to drive on own power and pulled by another one (with tow bar as showed above) is considered to be a trailer:D.  I crossed a police car and they looked the other way...

Have also a great Christmas all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I survived Christmas but the Missus had a secret agenda so I had no time to work on the Manta. But today I went back to the garage to work on the car. Lot of parts need to redone, paint them and the worst is looking after all the parts and what screw is fitted in what place. Painting some parts:

Fitted the black insulation stuff, it cracks easy when bended so I used some cardboard boxes to keep them in shape in storage. Still it is a terrible job to fit them back again. One part (exhaust side on the bulkhead) was totally cracked and not usuable again cause of the heat. If you fit the ventilation piece behind the battery don't forget to use something to seal that part so no water (condens)or fumes can enter the interieur:

As you all can see my battery is on the other side😁.   Enjoy your weekend!

Edited by H-400
  • Like 4

Well Wayne they have ways to get things done when they want to. Tomorrow she wants to visit the old city of Antwerp with a girl friend, the husband of this girl is an owner of an Ascona-400 so both of us have fun. 

• Like 2

Antwerp was nice, the girls were talking their stuff and we were talking petrol head's stuff😁! So today we did some prep's for New-Years Evening but could steel some time in my garage. Again painting and varnishing but also fitting some more insulation and cleaned the screw-thread of the mass cables, also the one on the swann-neck:

About the insulation: When you build it out some parts must be broken to keep the soft insulation in good condition. So I broken a lot of those clips and springs and ordered some new again. The plastic ones are 7.2mm and fit nice, the metal starlock clips are 8 mm:

Noticed the 8mm starclips fit nice on a 10mm socket:

So they were easy fitted on their place, just push and ok:

Also pushed the old bushes out of the panhard-rod, no hydraulic press (not in the barracks yet) but did this the "do-it-youself" way. With my vise and looks as someone did some upgrades when we look at that tube:

Have a nice New Years Eve all!

• Like 3

@Andy: Never noticed there are rubbers with GM upside down😁, most important is they are stil in good condition!

@Wayne: Sharp eye, used it anyway to let the kit dry I used. Must have a nice clean one laying around. But you are right, details make the car!

• Like 1