What handbrake cable

peter evans

You can use manta cable, you extend the treaded bar on the handbrake assembly,  thats if calibers are sitting at 9 o clock.

I cut the threaded bar, used a hexagon spacer threaded on the inside, used locking nuts both sides, at least when you need a new cable, you will need a manta one! 😯

For the astra mk4 cable you need to lengthen the threaded rod for the handbrake yoke and add 2 stops for the outer cable under the car. Like this

596b2713b2dc5_reardiscs(3).jpg.6c0caf43b22a22018a59d345741b141b.jpg

Then the caliper mounts behind the axle and cable approaches from underneath.

596b27135db7d_reardiscs(2).jpg.099460196cc094200c6e50c658ed7693.jpg

For the manta handbrake cable the caliper needs to be mounted on top of the axle (which puts the bleed nipple at the wrong angle, but undo the caliper to bleed and then fit). I got a nylon piece made for the bracket to help the cable through a slight curve (must get some more made up). This is how i run them on my car as i do not want the cable under the axle.

IMG_20170516_144037782.thumb.jpg.92e53abb966bfaff16143bcfd8b254a5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2018 at 17:32, ®evo03 said:

Why do astra caliper need to be mounted at 12?  Who knew, i didnt 😬

I use astra mk4 calipers at 9, manta cable, extended rod, but forced bleed, furthest first. 

I don't like the look of calipers mounted at 12 O'clock — 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock look fine, this is where most OE calipers are mounted 

I have a set of Astra G calipers here that I intend to use for a rear disc conversion but I hope to be able to mount them at 

On 16/12/2018 at 17:32, ®evo03 said:

Why do astra caliper need to be mounted at 12?  Who knew, i didnt 😬

I use astra mk4 calipers at 9, manta cable, extended rod, but forced bleed, furthest first. 

Do you have a pic of how the cable runs through the caliper brcket to the arm? I can't picture how it would without turning 90degress and rubbing  :huh:

So with the calipers mounted at 9 o'clock the cable needs to come in from the bottom of the astra bracket and pull the arm downwards.

As its running horizontally back under the car how have you done the turn around the corner so the cable doesn't rub on the bracket?