Manta back on the road

Sie willetts

Hi all don’t think done up date on my manta A 1.9 auto it back on the road after 10 of storage had tuned up by guy near me who’s a mechanic with krypton tuner ,so now the timing is correct it does not cut out when you brake and the put your foot down to pull out of a very busy junction (I live in village near where the  new Hinckley point power station is under construction)loads of lorries and coaches so this could have been the end of the Manta and me hair raising and being an auto no chance of bump starting a case of coasting into the nearest turning . Ps a few photos now it’s had a  good clean up a 4 new tyres 

regards sie will

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

etts 

• Like 7

Yes sounds good but auto box working ok ,had  it been no good I probably would go down that route, but there are not many automatic left and this one is so original it’s a shame to butcher it to much had it been like the one on sale in Poole I think I might be pinching my son’s engine out of his Mi40 BMW  3litre straight 6 . Do you know of any better auto boxes that will fit ,

regards sie

Yes that’s how I feel now it’s been tuned up it makes driving it quite nice you can sit back and enjoy the ride ,it sounds all right as well I got ride of the small back box on the exhaust and put a straight piece of stainless steel ,the last manta I owned the previous  owner  had done this  . If anyone knows of auto box that would fit with more than 3 speed it would be worth knowing since that would help drop the engine revs , cheers all its helpful to have so many manta brain experts to get advice off,

regards sie 

Not driven an auto A so not sure what its like but the 4 speed was not great on the top end compared to the 5 speed, so much nicer to drive, but as you say if you are in no rush then the auto is probably the best option. The 5 speed is a getrag 240 which was also used in the old BMW's (although the bell housing was different) so im not sure if there are any options that might be workable using a BMW one if they did a 4 speed auto. If you went the 5 speed route in yours you dont have to touch anything on the car to fit it, its the gear stick mount on the 5 speed that needs to be altered, nothing to cut or change on the car.. I even had an A series gear stick modified to fit the 5 speed (instead of using the B series one) so from the inside it looks totally standard as no need to move or modify the centre console.

I suppose it depend on the type of driving your are doing and how often.

Andy

Thanks for info ,not doing loads of mileage so see how it goes if i end up with problems with auto box I might reconsider, do you have to chance flywheel and is it easy to put clutch pedal in, 

regaerds sie 

ps any one know is there a way of refurbishing the wood look strip on the inside of the front doors is there a wrap wood look that is any good or do people stain and varnish them ?( I will include photo)

Im not sure on the flywheel and clutch setup on the auto. I will have to do a bit of reading up.

Found this place when i was looking for some wood look vinyl for another project. I dont have the fabric interior so not had the problem as they are different.

https://www.vinylwarehouse.co.uk/medium-walnut-fablon-handypack-346-8070-67cm-x-2m-740-p.asp

Andy