Roof lining removal

jamie077366

Hi guys, pretty much got through underside of car but as usual, rusty roof. What’s the quickest way to remove roof lining? More than likely not refitting as having a roll cage and would like to locate to roof to help shell stiffness. Having said that it’s a good one and don’t really feel like ruining it. Thanks for any help 👍

If you are not using the lining again then its much easier. You will have to remove the screens, rear quarter glass, seals and grab handles. then its a matter of just picking away until it is hanging on the metal bars which bend out of the location caps along the roof.

easy job

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bris jas said:

They can go brittle and rip easily, so don't feel to bad😉

Only kidding, if it was a 10k coupe I might of got a bit emotional. Anyway, with the roof lining out it seams the roof is  totally , er, no polite word. Is there a roof of a Similar profile? The sunroof shaped hole iv cut out seems relatively flat! This is a track day toy, will never be sold, not a show car etc but does need to look presentable (from a few feet!) 😂

Eh, try parking a sunroof car next to a non sunroof, world of difference! Caution on welding a plate, worth checking, depends on the restriction on your track, and what level of trackcar, Think if it needs a cage, it cant be plated, but could be wrong. 

Mentioned before, depending on restrictions, a grp skin made from a mould, it is possible, if done right. If it is entirely safe, in redtape eyes is the question, but look at the front of a 400r, 90% is fibreglass. Or another make, model, some ferrari, nobles, monocoque constructions! 

Just now, ®evo03 said:

Eh, try parking a sunroof car next to a non sunroof, world of difference!

I am not so sure, I have done quite a few sunroof deletes with full removal of the inner cassette and all pipes and brackets over the years and never found them to look any different after, the B pillar roll over bar is not fitted to the sunroof cars so you need to put that in and its goes straight in and touches exactly where it does in a non sunroof skin, the rail profiles are the same and the overall curve is the same.

Its vital you do it using a section of roof from a non sunroof car and not flat sheet, the curve is subtle but its there in all directions. Butt weld the new panel in to the hole very slowly so as not to distort the roof and grind back slowly for the same reasons.

As I said I have done lots now and I would say that its impossible to tell if its done right.

• Like 2