Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
IanMc

Window winder handles - aarrggghhh!

Recommended Posts

I’m quite a patient person and I can usually figure most things out given enough time...

However, I’m beaten on this one. If getting them off isn’t hard enough, how the devil do you get them to stay on?!

I’ve tried several different techniques and they have all ended in failure - usually when  I slam the door and they throw themselves on the carpet with their middle finger raised to me   :lol:

Please give me the benefit of your collective wisdom to allow me to solve this seemingly simple task - I’m beaten lol   :thumbup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aha! - so is this a well known ‘thing’?

I did wonder if the clips were holding their shape OK.

Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure it's a known thing, but it seems to me (assuming they are being fitted correctly)  it can only either be the clip, or the groove in the spindle, and the clip is the cheap option. I bought a pair of the clips as I lost one from my A.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you can bend them with a pair of pliers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had this happen personally and I’ve been working on mk1,s for a long time so can only assume the clips got bent upon removal. Sometimes they can be a bugger to get off .

when fitted to the handle they  should protrude into the bore and not be a loose fit . They then get opened up once you push the handle back onto the spindle and snap back into the groove further on the shaft.

there are also two different known to me types of handle/ shaft style with differences in the number and thickness of the grooves but it’s a very obvious difference if yours has had a mechanism changed.

if I were you I would remove the clip.     Try the handle on first to get a feel of how far it goes on given for the spring trying to push it back off behind the door card ( if you still have this spring. It’s a bit like the end cap battery spring in a d cell torch .no real detriment if it’s missing thou it’s there to stop rattles in the shaft.)

then bend the clip if required and push it back into the handle.  Then push the handle back on. 

The only way it can fall off is if the clip doesn’t fall into the groove,the handle not far enough on,

 

the clip is bent/ weak or if the groove is very badly damaged

 

im sure you with fathom it out ian .

Ps.

 There are special forked tools to remove them and I havnt got one but I use a strong but thin hooked wire to pull the clips out 

pother owners may well have their methods. But mine works for me !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To remove i use a light aluminium piece with a hook on the end.

If you are removing it alot, trial fitting, worth tying a piece of string to it.

To finally fit it, put window up full, place spring in handle, then plave handle into splines, then push, it should snap into place. 

There is a funny story of someone removing a spring, loosing the spring, searching for hours, and wifey telling him later that evening, you've something weird in your hair........ they do ping off! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone, as always your advice is greatly appreciated.

I think I will try Steve's idea of some new springs and see how we go - as I've pretty much tried everything else  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tryed to post this yesterday, but couldnt, anyway, think novas and mk2 cavaliers had same winder, different splines but same clip if that makes life easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks lads, much appreciated!

I’ve been thinking about this a bit more - I have been trying to fit Cav wonder handles to Manta spindles... I wonder if they are different? - I am going to have to measure them to see if the grooves are in the same place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Renault traffic has inner door handle clip for the N/S  side door don’t think you can get them without the handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Thanks lads, much appreciated!

I’ve been thinking about this a bit more - I have been trying to fit Cav wonder handles to Manta spindles... I wonder if they are different? - I am going to have to measure them to see if the grooves are in the same place.

Later mantas have a different spline to early mantas and cavaliers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snowy said:

Later mantas have a different spline to early mantas and cavaliers.

Aha, many thanks Snowy - That has to be the problem then.

I will try the Manta handles on then and see what happens. Unfortunately the Cav ones have a Silver piece on the main arm, but the Manta ones are plain Black.

A small detail I know, but I think I could learn to ignore that lol

Thanks again Snowy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IanMc said:

Aha, many thanks Snowy - That has to be the problem then.

I will try the Manta handles on then and see what happens. Unfortunately the Cav ones have a Silver piece on the main arm, but the Manta ones are plain Black.

A small detail I know, but I think I could learn to ignore that lol

Thanks again Snowy.

You can get cav looking handles with the manta spline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it is worth, I've always used the angled end of a scribe to extract the clip.. They are easy to replace: put the clip in first then slide it onto the spline.. The key issue, howeverh, is to ensure that the window is in such a position that the curved side of the clip is upwards - the last thing one would want to do is drop it down the hole and inside the door card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2019 at 09:13, Snowy said:

You can get cav looking handles with the manta spline.

You can cos 1 of mine is but cannot remember what car it came from.late ascona  maybee but yes they do exist. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

You can cos 1 of mine is but cannot remember what car it came from.late ascona  maybee but yes they do exist. 

 

It is the late cavalier mk1 and ascona b. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

OK guys, a little update on this tiny problem - its solved, well nearly.

As you clever people had intimated, I was trying to fit my original Cav handles to a Manta door - assuming all of the splines would be the same, when they are not.

This evening I tried the Manta door winder handle that I got with one of the doors and naturally it fitted first time - excellent news. The problem that I have now is that I only have one Manta door winder handle... Snowy mentions differences between early and late Manta spindles, but as the doors were used I don't actually know what year of car they came from. All I can tell you is that they were Red and had Black 'Berlinetta' wording at the front edge of the door, just above the swage line.

Hopefully that vague description might narrow it down - then of course I need somebody to sell me another handle please.

Thanks again for your help with this one people :thumbup

Edited by IanMc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IanMc said:

OK guys, a little update on this tiny problem - its solved, well nearly.

As you clever people had intimated, I was trying to fit my original Cav handles to a Manta door - assuming all of the splines would be the same, when they are not.

This evening I tried the Manta door winder handle that I got with one of the doors and naturally it fitted first time - excellent news. The problem that I have now is that I only have one Manta door winder handle... Snowy mentions differences between early and late Manta spindles, but as the doors were used I don't actually know what year of car they came from. All I can tell you is that they were Red and had Black 'Berlinetta' wording at the front edge of the door, just above the swage line.

Hopefully that vague description might narrow it down - then of course I need somebody to sell me another handle please.

Thanks again for your help with this one people :thumbup

If you look at the two different types of handles you have you will notice one has a course spline and one a fine spline. 

I won't assume your cav had the correct ones fitted. So which ones are fitting your doors now.

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowy said:

If you look at the two different types of handles you have you will notice one has a course spline and one a fine spline. 

I won't assume your cav had the correct ones fitted. So which ones are fitting your doors now.

Thanks 

 

Thanks Snowy, I will check later and report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Snowy I have just checked this and I can report as follows:

The original Cav ones have splines spaced at approx 2.0 to 2.5 mm - whereas the Manta ones (that I now need) are approx 4.0 mm spline spacing i.e. course as you have already said.

Thanks again for your help with this, much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IanMc said:

OK Snowy I have just checked this and I can report as follows:

The original Cav ones have splines spaced at approx 2.0 to 2.5 mm - whereas the Manta ones (that I now need) are approx 4.0 mm spline spacing i.e. course as you have already said.

Thanks again for your help with this, much appreciated.

I had a mk1 cavalier with course splines. The door handles were black with a chrome inlay.

I will see if I can find them. The cav has long gone but I'm sure I have the handles. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...