Spring pan and windscreen

Nivlek2525

Hi,

A little advice please. I broke my windscreen while trying to remove it as part of the restoration. It had a small crack in it before so I was half expecting it. 

I'll need a new one at some point although there's no rush.

I'm just wondering if they are available new or is it just a case of waiting for a second hand one to come up.  If it's the later are they generally available or are they getting rare. I.e should I grab the first I see or will it not be an issue?

Finally is it worth keeping the cracked one perhaps as a template? Or can I get rid? Assume it would be a fortune to have one made.

Also, now the axle is off the car I can see one of the spring pans (think that's the right name) is pretty rotten. It's ok where the spring makes contact but the hole in the centre is really thin and I wouldn't want to put it back on the car like that. Again, theres no rush as I'm a long way off needing it but what are my options? I've seen some replacement pans on a German site for about £100 but I'm thinking a good second hand axle might be just as cheap???

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Kelvin.

If you are happy with the welder no reason to change the axle especially if it’s a quiet one !. If I were you I would just make some replacement circular seats for the existing axle. 

Make 100% certain you have a good clean earth to the actual axle when welding them on so as not to have any voltage spikes through the bearings. Do not use the body earth.

not sure about the rarity of windscreens .i have a spare here if you want it. From a hatch with blue top tint . Slight lamination separation ( white patch in corner) otherwise ok. 

If you are stuck 

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

If you are happy with the welder no reason to change the axle especially if it’s a quiet one !. If I were you I would just make some replacement circular seats for the existing axle. 

Make 100% certain you have a good clean earth to the actual axle when welding them on so as not to have any voltage spikes through the bearings. Do not use the body earth.

not sure about the rarity of windscreens .i have a spare here if you want it. From a hatch with blue top tint . Slight lamination separation ( white patch in corner) otherwise ok. 

If you are stuck 

Thanks for the reply. I've had another look and I think it probably can be saved. It's just the very centre that's rotted out so I should be able to form something around the good side and then weld it into the bad. 

Bad one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F6CzPGHVogDbSoxH7

Goodish one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nmwe8Z6NEYL2mrbo7

No idea if it's quiet though as it's not turned a wheel in 10 years as far as I know.  It's off the car now so shouldnt be an issue getting a good earth.

Really appreciate the offer of the screen. I'm not ready for it yet but good to know they are out there. It sounds like the one you have is the same as the one I have broken.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v9xvtKGWdbUGWStY7

I'm based in the north east but if you still have it when I'm ready for it I'll happily collect. I'm up and down the country all the time with work so shouldn't be a problem. 

Thanks again.