Headlight refectors for square lamp Manta B's

IanMc

Morning all,

It has been suggested to me by a contributor on another forum that the headlight reflectors from a Mk2 Cav / Ascona B (or is it the C?) are the same as the Mk1 Cav / Manta B.

This sounds a little far fetched to me, but does anyone else know if this is true or not and could please comment. If it is true, it could be a game changer for some of us. I suppose I could just buy one to see, but I didn't want to risk throwing money away for the sake of just asking you gurus a question.

Thanks in advance.

Also looked at novas and mk2 astras, think they are all close but not the same, i did extensive research on this, it is expensive to get gone, its called metalisation, very involved process. Either plastic or metal

Now there is a new breed of chrome paint, its a chemical process. But again very expensive, you can chrome anything!  Was thinking full face chrome with a flocked head of hair! 

There is a new breed of model chrome paint, problem is it needs lacquered, and it goes milky! 

Ive at least 6 squares, and 8 round cibies that need sorted. 

Could we work out a club discount or club batch, 1, let company know there will be two manta lights landing. 2. Let them tag them so we all get the right lights back, pay them individually, get company to pist them back! Sorted. I can try and sort this if no one else is up for it? 

Edited by ®evo03

If it's anything like the original Lucas plastic refector types then they don't seem to last long. We had a set of them on a friends car years ago and they lost their shine when the car was about 8  years old.

i will have a look Ian to see what I have or found that fits . How many do you need ?

43 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

How much is it to rechrome a set of squares?

The whole process is multi-step and very labour intensive, therefore it is very expensive. Most chrome shops charge by the Kg now, so you can throw all kinds of bits and bobs in.

A few months ago, a buddy at work and myself sent a bundle of bits (including a pair of my square reflectors) and it weighed around 5-6 Kg. They wanted over £700, so we politely asked them to return the parts...

I have also investigated getting them done in China, but that is at best, proving difficult to arrange.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

i will have a look Ian to see what I have or found that fits . How many do you need ?

Hi Chris, it’s just the OS / Drivers side that I am looking for. It seems way better with the new reflective tape on it, so I might just bide my time and see what comes along.

I am in the VW Corrado club (have just sold it)

The is a posting  about headlights going dull 

This was back on July 2015 

He was in lreland 

The email address is         www.vmclimted.co.uk

The cost in July 2015 was £75.00 per light 

May not be there anymore 

• Like 1

Ian. 

What does the beam pattern and illumination look like when shone on something .like your garage door or a wall? There should be a resonably well defined horizontal line / cut off with a flick upwards on the left side.This is what the tester will be looking for.

and also as a basic alignment you are looking for the beam to drop off below centre and a small amount left as you reverse away in a straight line. 

I usually set mine on a local country lane whereby the n/s beam can be seen just on the edge of the pavement at what I call a reasonable distance away for good illumination and the o/s light set towards the centre of the left half of the road .and level beam height to the other.

ive always set mine this way and never had a failure .

however. Do as you suggest and see what happens mot time.if it fails or you think it will beforehand I will have one or keep looking on ebay.a new light or pair will show up. Eventually. 

I know I keep putting my faith in ebay and mentioning it but seriously,everything I’ve ever been stuck for has eventually popped up. 

Virtually my entire house ,and spare parts have come from ebay !

all the best mate

Yeh nivlek, its expensive to buy, plus equipment needed, it yellows after time and it isnt heat resistant. Tried it! 

Its a pity the mot guys dont look at the other end of the scale, new motors with eye burning beams driving towards you, especially 4x4s on b lanes.

Driving a lowered manta towards them, might as well close my eyes. 

What i did wonder is could the metal ones be polished to a inch of its life and uv lacquered.

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Yeh nivlek, its expensive to buy, plus equipment needed, it yellows after time and it isnt heat resistant. Tried it! 

Its a pity the mot guys dont look at the other end of the scale, new motors with eye burning beams driving towards you, especially 4x4s on b lanes.

Driving a lowered manta towards them, might as well close my eyes. 

What i did wonder is could the metal ones be polished to a inch of its life and uv lacquered.

What about

Something like this?

I wonder if the heat issue could be addressed with colder bulbs. Can you get LED headlights?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't polish a metal reflector. Access might be difficult and I'm not sure how well clear coat would stand up.

A possible option.  Both of mine need done so I've got an interest in finding a solution.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Length-MIRROR-ON-A-ROLL-Instant-Fit-Self-Adhesive-DIY-Boat-Caravan-Horse-BN/261160631734?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575403800&toolid=10001&campid=5338364430&customid=11700&icep_item=261160631734&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=1910073041162&rvr_ts=b6e96e251690a8600b03c076fff3ebf8&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=e79d7a9c-3f4b-49f7-b599-bf05e0066d87&epid=1291077359

Ok, sent a email to a company, requested a price for twenty lights, thats 10 sets, 10 members, 10 cars. 

See what they come back with, if they come back! 

We could work it as send our lights to them, with cheque of your own, let them tag them, and let them return to correct owner.  

Or if they can work, with individuals, will keep yous informed.  

Just in case someone doesnt know, the glass comes of, a dremel will cut the bond, the lens comes out by removing adjusters, and plastic back is removed by 4x8mm nuts.

Also got company to price round cibies, the lens cuts off also.

This company may want the lens cleaned and sanded, finished with wet and dry, not a major job, as scratches or imperfections will show in final finish.

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Do you have a link Wayne?

Don’t know how to how to do a link 

if you to eBay.  ,Opel manta parts,    used,    Lowers price.       its near the top 

item number is 153427125169.    

Pjbat50 is selling the headlight 

Edited by 1200bandit

7 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Don’t know how to how to do a link 

if you to eBay.  ,Opel manta parts,    used,    Lowers price.       its near the top 

item number is 153427125169.    

Pjbat50 is selling the headlight 

Ah yes, OK - many thanks.

Sadly, that one seems to have a reflector in worse condition than mine.

Thanks for sharing though  :thumbup

On 24/03/2019 at 21:17, 1200bandit said:

I am in the VW Corrado club (have just sold it)

The is a posting  about headlights going dull 

This was back on July 2015 

He was in lreland 

The email address is         www.vmclimted.co.uk

The cost in July 2015 was £75.00 per light 

May not be there anymore 

Have you given this a try