Headlight refectors for square lamp Manta B's

IanMc

4 hours ago, eldoradoCoupe said:

Why is everyone looking for a fudge fix? I also posted several days ago but reading this thread, its like my post isn't there.

Call VMC. They did both of mine for £140+p&p and they are a great job.

Any before and after pictures. I agree with you. 

I have been mulling this over for the last couple of days and I think that something like this kit has some legs: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262643564218

It could be fitted into the standard light housing without any mods (adaptors are supplied), provide dip and main beam, plus (almost certainly) provide a useful increase in light output.

The reservation I have though is how the existing glass pattern would affect things...

Thoughts peeps?

Do you mean, fitting one per square light. Cant see why not, lets face it even a top spec manta headlight in new condition are nothing to right home about. 

All mot are after is a pitch identical to original light. 

If you where to l7ne a car up with a wall, trace the light beam, fit these and try to get similar match? 

If i understand right we could remove bulb holder from reflector, fit one of these, reflector will basically be  unused but could be retained, paint it high temp black! 

Wonder if they could be used for quads also? 

6 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Do you mean, fitting one per square light.

If i understand right we could remove bulb holder from reflector, fit one of these, reflector will basically be  unused but could be retained

Hi mate,

Basically, yes and yes to the above. If it works, nobody would need to worry about dodgy reflectors ever again.

Your set up idea seems like a good idea.

Hi ian. The lens is what creates the beam pattern so would not work.also if they are fitted with actual hid bulbs ( not just zenon filled filament bulbs)like the listing mentions then you would need an hid ballast to run them too. The law changed recently as far as I know and these would be illegal without type approved headlamp units and headlamp washers and maybee even electronic beam levelling.which obviously will never exist for our cars. 

This is to prevent dazzling oncoming cars and is the same reason why higher wattage bulbs are illegal too .

dont spoil a fine restoration by Chavving it up ! Lol

see what happens mot time and if you need a reflector I’ve got plenty here 

An interesting idea evo, that feels like a lot of work would be required to make it work though.

I ‘m not sure I have the necessary skills or patience to see that one through lol 

My Manta is a 1986 one with H4 bulbs and Bosch Headlights  .
Both reflectors were gone.
I found two NEW reflectors cheap cause there weren't for H4 bulbs
I stripped everything apart and i removed the h4 bulb holder from my old reflectors and placed it  to the new reflector.
You need patience and precision its not an easy job.
I also cleaned them and paint the front piece...

Now the outcome is like New headlights with a sharp strait cut line when light hits the wall .

Search the FB page i have uploaded many pictures from the process

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IanMc said:

That’s really good to know, many thanks for sharing that Martin. 

Its always nice to have a few options. :thumbup

No problem Ian. On a different subject, seat fabrics, you might find this of interest. Saw a link to it on Facebook:

https://westtrading.nl/en/car-upholstery/seat-upholstery/brand/opel/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought a pair of mk3 cav lights made by Lucas and a pair of mk2 cav lights made by Hella.

I Dismantled both right hand units and a right hand Manta unit and laid it all out on the bench.

In conclusion I cannot see how it is possible to fit either the mk2 or mk3 reflector bowls to the Manta housing.

Mk2 reflector is physically larger

Mk3 has a big extra bit at one end and is a smaller bowl and is at an angle the means it wont look right when fitted and might affect the beam.

So. Im carefully putting them all back together and going back to the drawing board,  the two pairs of lamps are going back on ebay !

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:23, eldoradoCoupe said:

Why is everyone looking for a fudge fix? I also posted several days ago but reading this thread, its like my post isn't there.

Call VMC. They did both of mine for £140+p&p and they are a great job.

I am investigating it because the Cav ones are readily available on ebay for around £40 a pair, cheaper than recon and appeals to my diy ethic.

Mind you, its looking like I need to get something sorted soon so I will probably have to get them to do a pair.

A mate is going to 3d print the plastic adjusters, they seem very brittle on all my spares units.

• Like 1