Canadian Manta B

Limeysore

Thanks for the comments!

I bought those rails from Dr.Manta (www.dr-manta.de) and yet they go 146 € for one side.

With the inner section 314 €. Don't think you will need that, it is easy repaired or reinforced as I did.

Another web-shop: www.leidinger-tuning.de  They got an Ebay webshop. The same rail goes for 149 €.

Just check those two webshops, a lot of parts to find!

Don't mix those rails with other repair sections in different parts, those are thinner.

And the German that makes them is Eckhard Schneider, he sells them also. They will be scheaper ofcourse.

I found a shop via facebook:  "ESHandel"  One rail goes 110 € . There are L & R versions ofcourse.

And if you Google "Längsträger Manta B" you will find more pics.

Hope I could help you with this, 

Herman

• Like 1

Herman, many thanks for the information, I'll check out the sites you have suggested.  I am going to wait until I have the car stripped to the bare she'll before ordering any panels doing this in the hope that I might save some cash on the shipping if they are shipped as one lot.   

Also Thanks to Evo and Nivlek for their guidance and suggestions.  

Chris

On 17/04/2019 at 02:13, Limeysore said:

Mercury Marquis?  PM me with the details of the car and  list of what you need and I'll see what I can do.

Yes 89 grand marquis LS. I’ll get a list together. One item is the chrome trim piece round the right rear wheel arch. I can only imagine a very difficult part to send anywhere. 

Advice and guidance needed, I have been offered a set of 15"  7j, 4 X 100, ET40 alloys. There is currently no rubber on the wheels so tire choice is open, would these work on my Manta at B?  

Thx.

Chris

Edited by Limeysore
Remove quote

On April 25, 2019 at 13:30, Sutty2006 said:

Yes 89 grand marquis LS. I’ll get a list together. One item is the chrome trim piece round the right rear wheel arch. I can only imagine a very difficult part to send anywhere. 

Let me see what I can find.  I will be in the UK later in the year, so if I can locate the trim I could bring it across the pond for you.

10 hours ago, Limeysore said:

Let me see what I can find.  I will be in the UK later in the year, so if I can locate the trim I could bring it across the pond for you.

That would be very kind of you sir :)

Here’s a pic I took years ago. It’s that piece the arrow is pointing to 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The other set is ET30 with the same 205/50/15, so your ET40 is more to the inside.

Try the rim on the front to check it doesn't touch anything, also when you steer completely left & right (shocks,...) .

Hey Steve: You can sleep in that trunk??

• 2 weeks later...

Got quite a bit done on my car today,  I took a deep breath and set about removing the windshield.  Having seen some of the pictures of other members projects I was expecting the worst.  While it looks a bit messy the screen surround is solid, once the screen was out I removed the dash and all the heater trunking.  The only surprise here was the amount of toughend glass fragments that came out of the heater trunking.  Unfortunately the dash top us shot, so a replacement LHD one is required.

Chris

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Must have one laying around (LHD). Will check it in my garage-stock. 

And just had a look: Got one, but it is a dark-grey version. So it came out a B2 model.

They are identical just the color isn't black and they have the advantage the sun doesn't reflect on your windscreen cause the grey is matt.

Edited by H-400

Can anyone assist me in securing a couple of 105 Key blanks and cutting them to a factory code (I have the code from the original ignition lock).  A chap in the Opel GT club in the US thought he could help me out but his key cutting rig only does the earlier style Opel Keys.  I have no keys for the car and I need to replace the entire ignition lock assembly but would like to keep the original door and boot locks if possible.   Any help/guidance that can be provided would be much appreciated 

Chris

On May 8, 2019 at 08:06, H-400 said:

Must have one laying around (LHD). Will check it in my garage-stock. 

And just had a look: Got one, but it is a dark-grey version. So it came out a B2 model.

They are identical just the color isn't black and they have the advantage the sun doesn't reflect on your windscreen cause the grey is matt.

Thanks Herman,  grey would be perfect, I will PM you later today you to make arrangements.  

Chris

• 3 months later...

After a ten week lay off due to a shoulder injury work recommended on the Manta this afternoon.  First off I removed the headlining and sun roof to survey the rust damage.  Inside looks good just a couple of small holes and bubbles on the rear edge of the roof opening, should be repairable.

Next up was a good poke round in the boot, the spare wheel well looks pretty good as does the rear panel and seam where it meets the boot floor so I made a start on removing the sound deadening material on the boot floor. Pretty happy with what I have found so far.

Chris

Edited by Limeysore
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I spent the day stripping under seal and paint from the sill and wheel tub areas of the Manta.

The A Post on the drivers side looks good, couple of small holes blue other than it looks and sounds very solid.

One small hole is the side of the wheel wel and a second hole that looks like a burn through.

Burn through?

Sill and lower door all solid as is the rear wheel tub, I will need to fit a replacement wheel arch panel as the outer skin has some issues.

Lower rear quarter and spare wheel well also turned out well, just some rust on the  front lower corner that need some attention.

Chris

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

That is in decent condition for its age 👍

I am quite surprised with the overall condition so far.  That passenger side might prove to be a bit more challenging as the car sank into the ground on that side while it was sitting in a field for 15 years.  

Chris

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Looks very well, confirms my opinion the B1 models are robuster than the younger B2's. 

Herman, if you and Mrs Peeters ever fancy a trip to Canada I can offer free board and lodgings in exchange for guidance on the Manta.  Of course it goes witout saying tender steaks, cold beer and nice Canadian wine would be on the menu.

Chris

I believe this is something like the fate my car has suffered. It’s the offside on mine that seems worse, that is unusual for cars, so I suspect at some point in its life it was parked with the drivers side over grass.

quiet a difference in the rot between the two sides.

Well, even though I won't need them for a while I could not resist buying these Recaros for the Manta.  Cost me the equivilant of about £170 but they are in mint condition.  Not sure how old they are but the plastic side trims on the recline adjusters say "Made In West Germany"  Now I need to find mounting rails and runners to suit the car.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Limeysore said:

Herman, if you and Mrs Peeters ever fancy a trip to Canada I can offer free board and lodgings in exchange for guidance on the Manta.  Of course it goes witout saying tender steaks, cold beer and nice Canadian wine would be on the menu.

Hmm, sounds tempting. Don't forget I will be retired in seven months!😁

Hi Chris, am working on our gearboxes!   Just to inform our OMOC-friends: Gonna sell one of my 5-speed boxes to Chris.  And because I want to check the gearbox of my GSI I am doing them both. So I ordered new seals and some gaskets to be sure Chris will get a gearbox in good condition. 

What is done: Checked that all the gears do work, including reverse. The speedo connection turns and everything goes smooth. Opened the box to check that metal tube and it is still firm in his place. The bearings are fine but as expected the lipseal on the front is completely worn. 

I have more pics of the work but cause of non-working photo-uploader this one directly from my pc,

Grts, Herman

• Like 1

Thanks Herman, your on going help and guidance is very much appreciated.  Concentrate on your own gearbox first as I will not be needing mine for a while, still lots to do before I start thinking about installing the drive train.

Chris