Exhaust 79 Manta SRB auto

Dave1958

Hi 

I need an stock exhaust for a 79 Manta srb Coupe 100bhp) auto 

Every online seller seems to be in Germany and tell you that their product “should” fit  a LHD or RHD . When you press them for confirmation they just say they “can’t guarantee it fits”.so I’m wasting my time 

I don’t want to have to change manifolds or alter a LHD unit .

I also don’t really want a Sportex as I believe they are really loud and as the car is stock a 3” tail pipe would probably look a bit boy racerish ( no offence meant ) 

So can I source one in the UK for a RHD car ? . I also need the M9x 1.25 bolts as they either bent when they came out or snapped off ( took hours to drill 2 out ) 

Aprreciate any help , please 

David 

Hi 

Sorry didn’t understand . I have the RHD manifold on the car which runs north south on the car as you rightly say .

My question is why can’t you buy a stock exhaust for a RHD car ? 

I assume you meant buy a LHD manifold that runs side to side . 

If I did do this will it fit when turned and fitted on the steering wheel side of my RHD car 

Just don’t understand why you can’t buy a pattern exhaust for a UK car .

And the bolts are impossible to find . Any suggestions on sourcing ?

Anybody got a used presilencer section that I can buy as the other boxes are obtainable as they are not handed 

Dave 

Hi

You will need a RHD manifold. The reason for the pattern LHD manifolds being readily available is Manta s were more popular in Europe  and have a larger spares availability. 

Your best hope is to find a good second hand RHD manifold in Britain.  Your on the best site to find one.

Hi. Yes the standard replacement exhausts are now very hard to find. Front pipe can be fitted from a 1.6,1.9 or 2 litre depending on what you find .only difference there is an additional silencer on the 2 litre ones otherwise fully interchangeable.

a few years back you could get them at any of the exhaust centres or on line but now it seems to be only old stock by asking around or a good used one. 

If the actual pipes up to the manifold after the y joint are ok you may have to fabricate a centre section yourself if no one has one.not too complicated a shape ,basically a straight section with a slight bend at the rear. Add an inline box if you wish.( sounds better/ quieter with it).

Hi 

I don’t have the downpipes as they were rotted out so I need a replacement set .

Do you know if I need a specific set of downpipes to suit the autobox clearance ? 

Nobody seems to know if there is a difference ? 

If they are different then I’m looking for a rare used set and off an autobox car .

I must say I’m close to selling the project on as sourcing parts is much more of a problem than I ever expected .

So Auto/manual any difference in downpipe set ? 

No difference

Il keep a lookout. Surely someone must have a front section that’s ok. The double pipes that run up to the manifold rarely rust it’s usually the lower bit after the y joint but a lot will have been thrown away because of that.when realy that bit is easy to mend.

I could but would have to trailer the car to the workshop . 

Works out quite expensive when I’m just doing a standard restoration .

I will see if a used one turns up , if not I will use a Sportex and adapt it .

Next time I will know to repair the old one !!

thanks 

I found Sportex very helpful, I also didn't want the 3 inch tailpipe so asked them to make it look OEM and they obliged, however I did go for the standard system it is quite loud when accelerating hard but not too bad when driving "normally". Maybe worth a call they might be able to add an additional silencer !

IMG_3912.JPG