I240r build

ANDY ABBOTT

11 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Nice work Andy, 

checked the partnumber of the "P" bolt and the number still excists in the data-base of Opel. Can not say if it is still in stock somewhere.

Got to check this at an Opel dealer. 

Thanks for the info.i do need to locate this as it'll end up being a stumbling block when I come to put engine back together. Got z call from engine builders today, they are almost finished with the build. 😎 I'm getting excited 

32 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Very nice, great work!  :thumbup

Thanks, it's a lot of graft but I'm getting used to them now after doing so many lol so I'm also getting faster at doing it. This one is not perfect as I'm building it to keep for myself so I'm just happy with it being solid and strong 😀

18 hours ago, H-400 said:

Nice work Andy, 

checked the partnumber of the "P" bolt and the number still excists in the data-base of Opel. Can not say if it is still in stock somewhere.

Got to check this at an Opel dealer. 

Thanks for the info.i do need to locate this as it'll end up being a stumbling block when I come to put engine back together. Got z call from engine builders today, they are almost finished with the build. 😎 I'm getting excited 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Just now, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Last sections gone in on passenger side. Now I can get the same done on drivers side.

• 1 month later...

With the VBOA show out the way, I can now concentrate back onto this build inbetween doing our Monaco blue exclusive coupe. After a lengthy search for a RHD battery tray Nothing came up, so I desided I'd have a go at replicating it. I managed to knock something up it's not perfect but will do the job. I'll be down at the unit this evening finishing it's installation, then hopefully I'll get a couple of patches into the inner wing area too. Once that's done there's a small bit required on the front panel and that should be the welding completed. I've had a short motor rebuilt, it requires new shells, new mains, crank grind, polish and balance, piston liner, new rings, and and oil pump case. I also need to find some new over size valves as it turns out 4 are bent in the spare head I sent in for testing 🙄

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Good job Andy. Just buy a big battery and cover it up 

What you trying to say 😂

7 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Do you guys do restoration for a living?

No, fixing trucks is my daily business. Kevin makes teeth. 😁 this is a hobby, or is it an addiction 🤔

On 16/07/2019 at 12:46, Jessopia74 said:

Was you not tempted to get the body dipped to strip it completely?

No, I've heard horror stories about dipping, acid getting trapped in crevice etc.. and not being able to gain access to all awkward areas to 're apply any paint rust protection etc..  Plus I'm billing this for myself to use so not looking for perfection with this one.

Andy, Thats all old news on the dipping. The shells are complete submersed theses days to kill the acid and then you have the shell e-coated which again is total submersion so will get in everywhere.

Do three acid dips now and not had any problems

• Like 2

SPL (Surface Processing Limited) Dudley, west midlands

Manta Shell including panel with e coat approx 3.5k but you would need to call them to confirm as mine were a couple of years back.

Have a look in any of the classic car mags and they usually have a add in there

Andy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyc said:

Andy, Thats all old news on the dipping. The shells are complete submersed theses days to kill the acid and then you have the shell e-coated which again is total submersion so will get in everywhere.

Do three acid dips now and not had any problems

Thanks Handy to know, but sounds expensive lol. Maybe on a future build I'll look into it, on this one however I'm on a budget and I've blown a lot of it on the engine rebuild, that was not planned as I was told the engine was fully rebuild when I bought it. But it turned out to be garbage, the shell was also ment to be solid, if you call making structural sections out of fibreglass and filler solid I guess it was solid 😂 but hey Ho this is my own fault for buying blind lesson learned, I think 🤨🤔

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT

Battery tray now finished to the best I could without a replacement panel, inner wing had a few holes, so rot chopped out and fresh zintec welded back in. I found a couple off new klockholm jackong point knocking about in the stores so i can get on with these next "dont tell kev" 🤫 ive also started to flat back some previous welds on the floor pans as the previous owner never bothered. I managed to locate the correct over size valves today via a helpful link from another member, they are now paid for and in the post so soon I'll be able to commence with putting the engine back together 😎

Knocked the old garage down at weekend, smashed out the old base, and begun the prep for new concrete base, hopefully once the new 20ftx30ft garage is up I can setup a nice man cave with some of my personal cars in including the i240 and on display 😎 this is going to slow me down a little over the coming weeks but I'll still chip away at it. Slowly slowly  

one thing which may be of use to you .

when you lay the new base is it worth the effort involved in making a very accurate level floor.i mean like as near to zero degrees as is practically possible.this would then be suitable for doing your own alignments.i certainly wished i had done the same a few years back and am considering topping the existing floor to create one. my floor at the moment is "level enough for a garage  floor"as the builder told me but its not even within 2 inch corner to corner or side to side .when i do my own alignments i have to shim the contact areas to get it level( within 1mm using a water level!) but its a farce to do.

just thought it was worth a mention.

On 23/07/2019 at 22:33, cam.in.head said:

one thing which may be of use to you .

when you lay the new base is it worth the effort involved in making a very accurate level floor.i mean like as near to zero degrees as is practically possible.this would then be suitable for doing your own alignments.i certainly wished i had done the same a few years back and am considering topping the existing floor to create one. my floor at the moment is "level enough for a garage  floor"as the builder told me but its not even within 2 inch corner to corner or side to side .when i do my own alignments i have to shim the contact areas to get it level( within 1mm using a water level!) but its a farce to do.

just thought it was worth a mention.

I'm holding the floor will be as near level as possible, however I'm not looking to do the full restorations from here. I'm going to be doing most the cab work at my business premises and will only be doing the easy rebuild bits here for my personal cars. I'm going to be having it more of a man cave than a workshop 😎

• Like 1

Is this a magic trick ! 

IMG-20190713-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.22a19e8ef5712ef1f5ec397d52b20e33.jpeg

How did you form this? Been wrecking my brain, all i can think off is a wooden template, im pretty handy with metal, so can raise and dip it, form original shapes, but cant see how you dipped and rounded the form at the same time! Magic trick?

On 28/07/2019 at 21:49, ®evo03 said:

Is this a magic trick ! 

How did you form this? Been wrecking my brain, all i can think off is a wooden template, im pretty handy with metal, so can raise and dip it, form original shapes, but cant see how you dipped and rounded the form at the same time! Magic trick?

I measured the humps into a square, then drawn rounded edges onto the template. I then went around the lines I'd drawn on my steel with a blunt chisel to start forming the shape, I then used a rounded rubber buffer from the back of a HGV trailer housed in my vice and began slowly beating it to shape. It wasn't ideal or perfect, but it did the job and was all I could come up with as I could not locate a new tray in RHD anywhere after a lengthy search lol

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few hours spare today, so thought I'd make a start on the jacking points, more double skin nasty repairs found, old crud cut out and I'll patch the floor, then fit the new jack points. Some real nasty previous repairs on this car 😮

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1