I240r build

ANDY ABBOTT

Just now, Jessopia74 said:

I dread to think what I will find when I get the body flipped over and start cutting the crap repairs out😲

6 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

I dread to think what I will find when I get the body flipped over and start cutting the crap repairs out😲

It makes the job much more difficult cutting out old repairs 

• 1 month later...

After a lot of thought I've finally settled on a colour for the i240. Some may not like it but I think it'll look the business. We just did a spray out in a light bezal 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

It looks Ok to me, but its still hard to visualise how it would look on the car.

I have always liked the Porsche baby blue, so will be interested to see how it looks :)

Just pulled the bezel out into the light outside. I agree it's hard to visualize it on the car, but I think it's going to work well with the satin black, and the super oscars 

• Like 2

Managed to squeeze a couple of hours in yesterday. And now all the welding is complete I thought I'd get the under body protection on. I used a U pol product on this occasion. Turned out ok. It's not a show winning job, but this is only being built for my own use all year round so not after perfection. As long as it's solid and reliable I'm happy 😊

Next job is to strip and figure out a bracket to suit flexi hoses to rear callipers. They are sliding callipers but have been hard piped with copper straight to the calliper 🙃

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 2

9Decided against messing with the rear callipers as I've not yet got the parts I require after having a look at it. So instead I dug out a spare timing cover due to my old one being damaged internally. So I'll concentrate on getting this along with engine block, 0lus a few other bits cleaned, prepped, primed and painted today 😀

• Like 1

Starting to lay stuff out ready for rebuild. Only just noticed this oil pump setup, longer gears with spacer to suit. Anyone else come across one of these ? I've never seen one like this. I'm also fitting new chain and guides 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 2

WOW Lovely hi-flow upgrade kit, I used one a very long time ago, but not as smartly CNC as that.

That is a very nice upgrade part, About £300 from Risse.

Might have a stronger relief spring for higher pressure too.

Back to engine, coming along nicely - have you balanced it at all?

Edited by Jessopia74

10 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

WOW Lovely hi-flow upgrade kit, I used one a very long time ago, but not as smartly CNC as that.

That is a very nice upgrade part, About £300 from Risse.

Might have a stronger relief spring for higher pressure too.

Back to engine, coming along nicely - have you balanced it at all?

Bottom end was built by quasar in Stockport. Crank been 're ground, polished and balanced by them. I'm just building the rest 

24 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Lovely mate, will make all the difference.👍

Thanks mate, I had them do it as the bore on number 2 was water damaged so had to have a liner. It's had pretty much everything new or recon now lol

So that's it for tonight. Got the the block pretty much built up. Just waiting on the rebuild cylinder head coming back now with the new valves in that I sourced. Happy days 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Would it be possible, to stick up parts supplier and rough idea on price, would be helpful to alot of us, searching, ie gasket set etc.

Great job, liking the colour, brave! Was gonna say a non original opel colour, but didnt they do orange manta b's,  great job.  

Chassis parts was klockerholm, sourced from a facebook member, all bottom end engine parts was supplied by quasar in Stockport who built the short motor, gasket set was sourced via Ebay, most other parts was sourced via club members and some bits I had to make, like the battery tray repair section, inner chassis rail and upper chassis sections. New chain came with the car and I found the guides in our stock. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Thanks 1

Pushed the shell into our body shop last ting today. Now my body man can get on it inbetween other jobs, this bit takes an absolute age. But the finish is in the prep. I'll update with some pictures in next few days 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 3

Thanks for the parts info, it helps other too, and gives a few ideas too! Tnks!

Didnt think that gasket set would be available on ebay?  Will need one, as im refreshing a 60k mileage engine thats been sitting for 20 years! May need a waterpump too me thinks, anything else i should change, or check, all new gaskets will be a must, would be great to find a weber carb inlet and 4 branch, as i have the carbs. 

Edited by ®evo03