I240r build

ANDY ABBOTT

Few more bits prepped, primered and painted orange. Decided to 're do the rocker cover as it had a little bit of reaction. Probley a little oil residue bown out whilst painting. Also because I like to be different, and like the low, fat, sleek, euro look I've decided to ditch the 3 peice and go with the smaller GTE spoiler. Body work is taking forever. The kit needs a lot of work, a it's very rippled being fibreglass. Also had to sand off most of the paint. Because it's previously been painted In cellulose so am not going to risk it cracking/reacting with the 2k primer and top coat I'll be using. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 4

That engine will be an eyecatcher, I have the same "GT" alu rocker cover, gonna try to paint it with black wrinkle paint. With the kooling-ribs and the "OPEL" in alu. Will have to use the oven of the Missus so will have to remove the oil-separator sponge or our kitchen will smell the same as the engine of one of my tanks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing done on any of my cars for a couple of weeks, due to a heavy workload at work, and what bit of Spare time I've had I've been spending on getting my new garage sorted. So more of a garage update than a manta update. 😀 got the doors on. Walls painted, roof insulated, floor painted. Now just need to board out the trusses, some more insulation, get hhe wiring done lights etc.. then i can start moving stuff in. Its been stressful but should be worth it in the end. 😊

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Seems a really big space, till you get tools, benches, shelf’s full of spares et al 😁

But it looks a nice space for working in, still putting ramp in ?

Yea it looks smaller every time i look at it. 🤨 I'm still planning on a ramp although it depends on the smallest span I can squeeze in. I'll soon fill it 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Yea it looks smaller every time i look at it. 🤨 I'm still planning on a ramp although it depends on the smallest span I can squeeze in. I'll soon fill it 😀

Yeah I bet mate, it’s amazing how fast these spaces fill up with stuff ‘you NEED’.

mine is like one of those sheds you see on American Picjers shows, the ones full of junk of zero value 😂

• Haha 1

looks a nice space :thumbup I'd love a ramp or even a pit would do! it's not much fun squeezing under the car with Axle Stands these days, was easier as a skinny rake of a young lad!

I had picked somewhere with what estate agents like to call a double garage this time (it's more like garage and a bit)  it looked great with just the Manta in there - added all my stuff that I 'need' and it was filling up but I could get round all sides of the car unhindered. As ever though it's become a dumping ground for boxes and allsorts of non-manta related gear :angry: I need a Manta only garage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/12/2019 at 21:10, ANDY ABBOTT said:

What sort of ramp are you going for?

On 09/12/2019 at 08:19, H-400 said:

Well I'm jealous of that garage, I rent another one 10 yards from my home just to store my stuff. 

It looks so much smaller now that I've painted it all and panel out the roof. 🤔 I have a couple of other units too Herman, and 2x 45ft HGV trailer and the back half of my office too. There never seems to be enough room, no matter how much storage you have 😂 I really could have done with the concrete being grind down to a smooth finish, but the damn thing has taken sooooo long and been stressful so just want it finished now. 

• Like 3

On 07/12/2019 at 22:37, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Will be looking for a 2 poster in the new year, as small as poss lol

I've got one of these scissor lifts in my workshop. It can be moved around when not in use and is very handy for doing nearly anything on a car. Only issue is it blocks the floor under the middle so no access for gearbox or exhaust. But i made 4 tall wheel stands so i can drop it onto those to be sat on its suspension up in the air so i can get bellow it.

Its great for access to the sills/ or inside while still in the air

Might be another option as i would think a 2 post ramp in a small(ish) grage would get in the way a lot around the car and it doesn't look like you'd be able to use its full lift height with the roof.

You can also pull the ramp outside and use it there if the floor is fairly level.

• Like 2

Andy, garage looks the part, yeh i know the want to just get it finished.I was two months every evening breaking 200 blocks by sledge, and moving two 8 wheeler tripper loads of wacking stone in place, i could walk on my arms by the end of it.

Good examp!e of a lift too, and could be wall hung when not needed.

• Like 1

So in English that's a "scissor lift" I'v got. I'm pleased with it. As David wrote you can move it on retracteble small wheels and yet the lift is standing against a wall cause I putted an engine in a car. I lifted that "scissor lift" with an electrical hoist that runs with a trolley on a metal beam. Maybe an idea for your garage Andy, now your garage is still empty. The trolley gives you the possibility to move the engine left/right and when I lower the engine (with gearbox sometimes) I push the car on its place. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 09:13, mantasrme said:

I've got one of these scissor lifts in my workshop. It can be moved around when not in use and is very handy for doing nearly anything on a car. Only issue is it blocks the floor under the middle so no access for gearbox or exhaust. But i made 4 tall wheel stands so i can drop it onto those to be sat on its suspension up in the air so i can get bellow it.

Its great for access to the sills/ or inside while still in the air

Might be another option as i would think a 2 post ramp in a small(ish) grage would get in the way a lot around the car and it doesn't look like you'd be able to use its full lift height with the roof.

You can also pull the ramp outside and use it there if the floor is fairly level.

Hi david the main reason for the ramp is for car storage 😀 so i can lift one and stick another under it 😂 can't do that with a scissor lift. I've actually been looking into a single post 2.5t so should lift a manta with ease and saves me some space. My roof height is 9ft so shouldn't be to bad, and I could always adjust the roof slightly above where the ramp is going if I find it difficult to work under, as there's plenty of space up in the attic area 😊

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT