Manta Hatch

Bonga

Well here goes. Bought this car 3 years ago on a bit of a whim. Had just built a garage and knew I wanted a retro resto project. Seen the manta on gumtree n thought, ideal always fancied a manta.

Here's a photo from the ad.

It's started off as a 1.8 hatch previous owner put a c20xe in it and fitted a 400 kit, home made half cage and gave it a quick spray. It had an MOT when I drove it home but the brakes didn't work luckily it was only 20miles. The engine started cutting out due to the battery not being secured and earthing out. 

1st things 1st. The brakes. I got a big brake conversion and rear discs from mantasrme. Renewed all the brake lines. Renewed the seals on the cylinder reservoir which were actually causing the problem. Still not fully fitted the handbrake cable. Get that another day.

The wiring was a mess from the bulkhead forward so I chopped it all and made a new loom also wiring in a heater, nodiz ecu, shift light, wiper washers, water temp sensor.

Fitted R1 carbs for that retro sound. Added a choke cable onto the dash. Wired the throttle cable although in not happy with it as it only takes about an inch movement to give it full throttle. Drilled the jets to 1.8mm. Added a small expansion for the water while was at it.

The exhaust was made up of a standard c20xe fwd one that had been altered to suit a manta. I got hold of an Ashley one off of eBay. Miles off fitting 1st go so this was my 1st weld project. Chopped it and extended it, hit it with some rust convertor and paint. Looks good and fits ok. Also bought a 2.5 inch kit off eBay and made my own system and also fitted an Ashley 2.5 backbox.

The back end of the car had these weird round led lights I wanted rid of through time. This was promoted to needing done asap after I pulled it out the runway with no brakes and the handbrake cable snapped and it hit my other car/ wife's car...great 2 for 1. So I sourced a rear end full panel off here. Was a bit rough but with help got it welded in tidied it up now that's had a coat of primer. Ready for the next step.

The latest thing is the condition of the shell. As I mentioned before it had an MOT. This and my eager urge to have a retro motor in my garage made me look at the car quickly and I never really gave it a good going over that I would now if I was in the same position...you live and learn I suppose. I made a start to the driver's floor. I should have just cut the lot out but I butt welded and patched another bit and then gave it a coat rust preventer. See attached.

Yesterday I cut another bit of the footwell out and the piece of the chassis leg below that was corroded.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 7

Nice looking car and well done on mods so far, throttle cable sounds interesting, always wondered why GM never rallied a hatch to begin with, they where lighter, and hatch makes for more space, and ease to carry wheels, jacks, equipment etc.

They do handle differently to a coupe! Hard to explain.

Keep up the good work. 

Edited by ®evo03

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

trottle cable sounds interesting, always wondered why GM never rallied a hatch

I think it's to do with the point that the cable attached to the pedal. If I cut and weld the point where it attaches closer to the pivot point of the pedal then it'll in turn take more pedal movement to pull the throttle fully. Need another internal cable and more solder ends to do this so can put it on the to do list 😂😂

Few more of it tonight

Looking good. Unfortunately you are going to find rust on most manta's. I never like welding its one of the least favourite jobs of mine. I did learn that the more you cut out the easier it is rather than trying to patch in bits, seems more to do but welds easier in the long run.

Good to see the post on here and reminds me i have to do a spot of welding on the front valence on mine that i have been putting off 🙂 I should get cracking now we have an extra day with the bank holiday!

Keep the pics coming so we can keep up with the progress.

Andy

About handling this is something strange... If you want the best take an Ascona B. Like a go-car.                                                                                                                                                                       If you realy want a Manta make sure the heavier head does make the handling something like understeer untill you step on the gasspedal.                                                                                            But this makes the car better on fast long curves and let the Ford MK2 behind.  

@Billy: you are doing great, keep us informed!

I like the look of the 400 kit on the hatch, i was tempted to put one on my V8 a few years back but never got around to it, how easy are the carbs to set up as these save so much space compared to webbers etc and you can keep the servo etc?

12 hours ago, garymanc said:

There's not much movement  of the throttle cable with R1 carbs 

i got used to it now but  maybe awkward till your used to  it 

Gary did you put something in place to stop the tension on the cable as even at full screwed out the screw on the pedal doesn't hit the floor when on full throttle.

I actually think the 400 kit looks pretty good on it as well. It's weird you always want a coupe but when you see the hatch beefed up it looks good as well.

Was hoping to get a night this week to make a metal bending brake (videos on youtube) to help make the sections of the chassis legs and outriggers I need. Got the metal yesterday.

The car starts and runs but I've never drove it. I think they'll need proper setting up along with the nodiz ECU. It does seem to take a few turns to start. This could be because it's needing a run.

12 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Do you prefer the handling of a hatch over a coupe, after driving coupes for years found it a little strange, lighter, almost felt fwd, maybe its the less length, less weight. Running same setup, bilstein shock, springs etc, still felt different.

This would probably suit me better as it's only really fwd car that I've drove hard. I do like my cars to feel nimble but I've always wanted to learn how to drive rwd properly. This has got bilsteins and heavier springs as well so hoping it'll be good fun when I get out with it.

2 minutes ago, Bonga said:

I need to get one one of them wee 90 degree corners for the cable as well. Is yours set up Gary. Does it run well.

yes i bought out of a car that already had it set up in but the cable snapped , i think the 90 degree part came off my old lawnmower 

i used something like this for a cable https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-scooter-Cable-Kit-set-Clutch-Brake-Throttle-cable/143088221814?hash=item2150b8fe76&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVsXUD4rgiB9oEKf828CPZWk6zTLwt15kXR8AEhRtjg6ZYdfJDRk9uMAJS6axoWFwSrMEOB9lGauPliG3NAw19E0VlwD3HCbPnseMvIROS2JNlcqKlkEtXqsTDdMa5VNYGxbnkBs1oBmr6M2HF%2F%2BlMv%2FTQ0DoeGK7ug4o6YshO%2Bvv1K3Hvm27aBL%2BKH2akh1IXo1Yfyuo7IPM%2By9zCT7wSbzjSLwdkeD36mHULf7r0GZN9I1G4tCioNErblZxIogowfRiFk7h%2F6MDMPAy8GqCa4ks%2BuDngs16iUc3hELeAU0nn9OO8aDiBQrmjfF9UyKqGh6fn3wVOJRATw9U0v%2FNUolhOxfZpHPWuylsoD1ZiowdKjHMdPzImi2xrs4r3z2zwlanjyqv7WxZsolMzmFvSgORM0txL4IMauuF3pkxjq4Wvwft%2Bu3CZimT1oIY3CVZHuSGL0kzBw6LfVnk00DTX7l5KkDvkRFjPwVbYZ4a%2FlpRqYDcpfqD0jrN8UdA4GEtv7dFQ0pBIAncz5U%2B5v%2FVN1K%2BWM1Ir7YxC%2Bcb3kZb7us5BIeVhfsq%2Fb49FM5E4Kc2xQUkg8fTz9y4OMPC%2BXv0J7C%2F9PXJfgBw73HAhNvQVD3b71wiTlfhmixh2lYj9TSmawFsT3c08WiUPT%2BB3B9C9l8%2B6y6B5BFQhx3aDnTwpCTIWKb3AET8gX%2B%2BL5SValjZF3g99PWqqUXYb3UrihHsFuoEdP%2Fwck9x4LZXI1i6shd1P%2BtJCpIaZgQLbmlxKss2IKFjHytbJqlI1TAOMNS%2BQPjAK3yCIMXBhDfyMwJJsm43zxyaiQ%2FRRgXMnTbJJH0N%2FeWdJCjeh93Yc%2FUVRJdJ43CWU8XKvHXDbBo%2BWez9QXIrzo4uXE5XWYWqtPz1XEzPvcW4mjdlsFXiILnvuQPs4Ku4JIr5%2FvNq3EuIkhDNavwQz9rbxzHjcp60rHkZ1LEfM4k3koEBI6QJVPgIjFBjSIw%3D%3D&checksum=1430882218149c89584b29454b31be9f4d478e68a5e5&frcectupt=true

this is were my engine came out of 

23 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Do you prefer the handling of a hatch over a coupe, after driving coupes for years found it a little strange, lighter, almost felt fwd, maybe its the less length, less weight. Running same setup, bilstein shock, springs etc, still felt different.

Iv had b coupe,  exclusive coupe and current hatch, I found b coupe to handle the best, hatch more understeer but put that down to heavy  v8 in front?? Also rotten shell probably didn’t help 😂

45 minutes ago, Bonga said:

I've seen photos of this car when googling but that's the 1st time I've seen the build thread. That looks a mint wee car. Really nicely done. What happened to it?

he was going to put a LS engine into it but hes busy with other things now 

added a picture of my old girl 

• Like 2

Few hours in the garage last night and got my metal bending brake done. Could have done a bit better started to rush it at the end as it was getting late. But it does the job, quite happy with the end product tbh. Did a small sample of the chassis shape but can make up to about 500mn long lengths 

• Like 3

Got a few hours today and cut out all the rot on the driver's floor. Going to replace the jacking point, main rail and the bottom rail corner where the bottom arm attaches as it's been bodged previously as well.

I see there's metal parts on eBay from Germany now. Anyone ever used them?

I can buy all 3 parts needed for 90 plus 17 delivery which seems really reasonable.

If you look at other projects, herman, its a silver coupe, H400, he commented above, you will see chassis leg replacement, they are expensive but worth it, saves loads of time. The inner chassis runs from before front cradle top bolt, half ways up the chassis leg under the bonnet, too around where your feet go! This can be made up from heavy U sections. 

This is best photo, i can find. Oh, dont worry its done for strength not cosmetic, it was to hold a 400bhp m3 engine. 

hpim0555-jpg.99961

Its below where it bends, think there are three sections, triangle shapes cut out and welded up, proper strength. If these where covered in your home made sections, it would be super, better than original. 

Floors are available, jacking points, sills, A pillars, i would buy these, make ur inner chassis legs, make your covers, as normally what you think is ten sections, it turns into twenty. 

• Thanks 1

That looks a proper beefed up job.

To do this job right I think the engine is going to have to come out.

I don't know if you noticed but the inner and outer sills are also goosed as well on the side I'm working on. This complicates things even more as the car has got the side skirts fitted.

If you can try and remove as many parts that may get in the way as you can, will make the job easier and make it a lot less frustrating trying to work around things and also saves them possibly getting damaged.

Outer cills you can get from TJM motorsport or Retropower, inners your have to make yourself. Chassis, as above looks good or if you check out my last build on D91 MOP you can see the ones i used.

• Thanks 1