Gauges and rev counter not working.

BIG STU

Good afternoon  everyone. 

I am hoping that  someone could kindly  help  me out. 

I have just replaced  a couple of  dashboard  bulbs on my 77 sr coupe. 

All the bulbs now light  up as and when they  should. 😃

BUT NOW....NO GAUGES WOKING 💩💩

But when putting the  ignition  on or starting  the car NONE OF THE GAUGES  ARE WORKING ,PLUS THE REV COUNTER HAS NOW STOPPED WORKING. 

Is there a chance I have  killed  the voltage  stabiliser whilst  messing about  in the clocks.

All the fuses are OK. 

As always any help  and support  would be really  appreciated. 

Cheers 👍

Try to remember connections, there is a half moon connector for the rev counter, it can become loose, feed is of coil, light green wire.

There is an electrical strip that feeds the circuit board, 

Cant think of any other connection, its been a while, but i think im missing one. Its pretty easy to swap a dash out of you have a spare, do your self a favour, remove cables from heater controls leavers. 

Q, didnt know the dash has bulbs in circuit board, thought bulbs are only on binacle.

Sounds too simple but have you checked the fuses?. If you still have the bullet type, rotate them as they can oxidise.. Then, could you have dislodged either plug to the PC board - the half moon plug or the round main plug?.  Again, possibly slightly oxidised connections - or loosened by pulling sideways on the wiring?  Had you managed to pop the voltage stabiliser, you should still have readings, but unreliable, e.g. fuel reading higher and temperature low.. I take it you were  replacing the warning light bulbs as the instrument light bulbs are on a strip over the top of the panel.. If you replace the warning lig bulbs, it may be best not to use LEDs as they have minimal current draw and so could upset the instrument voltages.

Al just thoughts: hope you come right!

Thanks for  your  advice. I will  go back to  it tomorrow. Changed the warning light bulbs.but did disconnect the main plug to give some movement  to get to the bulbs holders..

I know  it's something  simple  but it's really  pissed  me  off.

I shouldn't  have  done it  today. 

Sat in a red hot car ...

Head was up my arse dealing  with  twisted ex misses causing problems  for my little  lad.😠😠

Thanks  again 

Hi everyone. 

Just spent  some  time trying to  get my gauges  sorted. 

All fuses OK. 

Power to multi plug is all OK and good  earths.

Still no gauges  working including  rev counter. 😭💩💩

Am I right in saying  that  if the voltage  stabiliser  is knackered  all the gauges including the  rev counter  won't work. 

I hope  so. As that will be  an easy fix. ..

Please can you let me know  if iam  barking  up the right tree😉

Cheers Stuart 

Has anyone  got a spare  multi plug  and rev counter  plug that I could  buy including  a few inches of  loom for each plug.

As the plugs aren't very tight on the pins on the back of the  instrument  panel  .

Could well be a  shitty  connection. 

Just trying to  eliminate  potential  causes as to why gauges aren't  working. Cheers 😬

Hi Julian. 

I have  bought  one of the modern  replacement ones  off eBay. Fingers crossed. 

Don't know  what it will be like. 

Had about 10 original  ones in my tool box back in the  90s. Got one  or two everytime I  went to the  scrappies. 

Had a clear out late 90s before  eBay  and chucked  them all away. 😠

Never thought  I'd own  another 😉

Did your cav  have the rev counter..

Thanks for letting me know. 

Had the same problem with my spitfire voltage stabiliser.

found this useful may help someone 

http://www.triumphclub.co.nz/?page_id=962

Worked for me picked up a regulator from maplin when it was here for a couple of pounds.

Probably easier to buy one of these though 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283484890348

23 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Hi Julian. 

Had about 10 original  ones in my tool box back in the  90s. Got one  or two everytime I  went to the  scrappies. 

Yes the cav does have a rev counter.  As for throwing stuff away, we have all done that!!!!  I hope you are sorted by now.

23 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Hi Julian. 

The only things that the voltage  regulator supplies are the fuel and temp gauges. If there is no live coming to the instrument pod then nothing will work except main beam light,or maybee flashers.  it sounds like either a bad connection on the main round plug or you have cracked a track or connection .although I’ve never personally seen or had this happen. .if i were you I would pull the instruments out again and confirm 12 v to plug.make sure pins are clean and not falling out and that the locating peg is correct.

i am very sorry.i used to have the PIN number and wire colour for the taco dash and non taco dash but cannot seem to place my hands on it now !.

basically you are looking for a pin that goes live with ign on..this feeds the voltage regulator,tachometer ,ign lamp oil lamp,handbrake lamp.if you find which pin this is there should be a circuit from the corresponding pin on the back of the instruments to one of the voltage reg terminals and to one of the 3 tachometer terminals.

Hi everyone. 

Thanks for  all your help and support. 

Now sorted and working  fine. 

New voltage  stabiliser  arrived  and now fitted  and  all is well  in the world. 

All polished  and ready for classic car  show in Mawdesley  on bank  holiday  Monday. 😃😉

Take care  and  enjoy  your motors😀

• Like 2