CIH How much oil for initial fill?

Hi Guys

Just want to check what is the right amount of oil for first fill after rebuild for a CIH 2.4 Frontera engine with 1.9 steel pan?

Also should i fill the oil filter before fitting?

Thanks

Andy

Must be something as 4 liter with oil filter, and yes fill the oil filter.

Before first start you have to fill up the oil pump by opening a plug with a 7mm inbuss key. (must have a pic somewhere...)

After that you can drive your oilpump with something as a long screwdriver fitted on a electrical screwdriver  into the hole of your distributor, and don't forget to oil your dis-chain, that needs oil before starting. 

Succes!

Edit: forgot about your dipstick issue: Manta 400 has got also a 2.4 with the same steel oilsump: first filling 4,1 liter, oil change 3,5 liter, with oil filter 3,8liter. Between min and max on dipstick is 1,5 liter.

Grts, Herman

Edited by H-400

Thanks Heman

The workshop manual said 4.1 for initial first fill but the Haynes one said 3.1? I thought the workshop was right but though it best to check.

When you say dis-chain? do you mean timing chain?

Dont think i filled the oil filter last time so that might have caused me a few issues. Making sure i do it right this time as not doing this again 🙂

Andy

Hi Andy, if you forget to fill the oil filter that is not an issue, is better to do...so the engine will turn a few rounds dryer.  The oil pump first filling is important. Than the oilpump wants to pump something that is'nt there. Oil! Is like you need to fill a water pump on a farm before you can pump water on... 

I mean timing chain, sorry for the misunderstanding. Sometimes the package of a new timing chain says to oil it before starting the engine. This to lubricate the inner parts of the chain. 

Grts, Herman 

Thanks Herman

This time im going to check that the oil flows fully around the engine before it goes back into the car and then when its in the car and then before i start it for the first time 🙂

Going to be extra careful this time!

Im almost ready Herman! Just waiting for some new bolts to arrive to attached the box to the engine and then its back in the car!

IMG_20190525_1818316.jpg

IMG_20190525_1818231.jpg

IMG_20190525_1819069.jpg

IMG_20190525_1818395.jpg

• Like 2

That is a nice engine! The ignition looks updated, and those cables are from Magnecor? 

I want to do the same update with my "400" engine but with oldscool-look, but that's again another project... Pic of the "400" engine:

2w3s037.jpg

Keep up the good work!

6 hours ago, H-400 said:

That is a nice engine! The ignition looks updated, and those cables are from Magnecor? 

I want to do the same update with my "400" engine but with oldscool-look, but that's again another project... Pic of the "400" engine:

2w3s037.jpg

Keep up the good work!

Hey Herman

That 400 engine looks awesome . Don't know if i could squeeze one of those in the old A series 🙂

You are right, Magnecor leads, custom made! and distributor less ignition with fully programmable engine management running twin throttle bodies with an ENEM cam!

So once we are all up and running it off to have it fully mapped and to see what power it puts out! just got it get it all fired up and running! 

I will post you of a pic when its back in the engine bay with the throttle bodies and manifold all fitted. Hopefully i will get time to have a go at getting the car up in the air and the front sub frame out so i can fit the engine and box to it and roll it back under the car and connect it all up.

Andy