Sticky Manta

1200bandit

So here’s some photos of the epic paint runs 

Had a look on YouTube found some ways to remove the runs.

Had a quick go at scraping of the runs (Have a look on YouTube) 

Removed one run (by the filler neck is now gone). Just needs a polish 

No time to carry on with now may be on Monday night 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by 1200bandit

The runs by the filler neck have now gone, hopefully will get to the paint work on Monday/ Tuesday 

I think the runs will go and no one will ever notice 

Got a few hours today had a go of removing the runs , one on the door flattened ok

The ones on the lower rear 1/4 not so good, Now l run out of paint, going to use a rattle can on the lower bits 

Just a heads up on the removal of runs, you can use the dolphin glaze method. Basically it's a very fine filler, you just smeer it over the run and around the area. This way you are flatting the runs/high spots and the dolphin glaze rather than the paint around the run, it prevents you breaking through the paint around the run. There's lots of videos of this method on YouTube. Hope this helps. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1

Tonight espoused 

Flatted the panels ,polished the panels, 

The door and rear 1/4 has turned out very good 

Had a look a the lower trim, come up really well 

Refitted the lower trim, petrol flap

Adjust the the o/s rear brakes, 

Waxed oiled the inner sills, chassis 

Fitted the wheels back on with locking nuts 

Tomorrow’s espoused (If l get the time)

Fit the new aerial to the o/s wing , put it back on the floor and see if it starts (all has in the past)

Clean up the garage when sticky starts 

• Like 3

On 08/09/2019 at 19:58, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Just a heads up on the removal of runs, you can use the dolphin glaze method. Basically it's a very fine filler, you just smeer it over the run and around the area. This way you are flatting the runs/high spots and the dolphin glaze rather than the paint around the run, it prevents you breaking through the paint around the run. There's lots of videos of this method on YouTube. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the information, had a look at this on YouTube, looks like a good way to remove runs , but have got to get it done quickly as my time is not my own at the minute and has to be sold soon 

On 07/09/2019 at 21:31, Jessopia74 said:

At least you know plenty of paint is on.

i tried the scraper method some years ago, never got it to work properly.

My method is block it down with Wet 500+ grit and flat firm block, then a flash coat to gloss it back, and machine it back in.

I scraped a lot of the runs down then used 500 grit ,then 1500 (much used 1500) wet and dry 

I have some soft rubber sanding blocks which is very worn so finish off with that  , the paint looked shiny before l polish it 

Had to paint the lower rear 1/4 under the rear bumper, As l was painting it my arse turned on the tap in the garage when l turned around to turn it of the air line go’s in the wet fresh paint under the bumper 

To night fitted the aerial to the wing ,had to go into the engine bay ,that’s as far as l got as it’s raining 

All painting has now been done 

Back on its wheels, Started fist time runs sweet 

Sticky on the drive getting all wet 

Going to put it on some more sites tonight,Possibly on eBay on Saturday (hate putting cars on eBay)

• Like 3

Someone is showing up tomorrow afternoon to have a look maybe buying sticky 

It will be a sad day when it gets sold, but it has to go, as we all know Mantas don’t do well outside 

Replaced the rear drums, the ones on the car where a bit knackered

And to think l was doing 90/95 mph on the motorway 

Also tonight remove the o/s door trim, very surprised to find NO body filler in the door

Wax oiled the door when the trim was off ,door mirror fitted as well. 

Going to clean the engine bay tomorrow, remove the n/s door trim and check ,wax oil the door  

I know it may be sold tomorrow but l what it as good as it can be

Edited by 1200bandit
  • Like 1

When l check them l was a more than a bit lucky l got home ,

I heard a scraping noise when going in and out of the garage 

just happy that l have not used the manta as things may have gone tits up

But l know that when someone else has it the brake drums are good 

If Sticky gets sold tomorrow so be it , but this is something l always wanted to do 

• Like 1

Sticky looking very clean and waiting for someone to show up 

Back it out of the garage remove the n/s door trim ,

found the wiring to the central locking snapped, repaired the wiring ,

checked the door again NO body filler in the door ,waxed oiled the door 

Had a little test drive (the last time was in May) Drives really well 

Just got a text saying he can’t make today 

On Sunday check things on sticky, found the heater motor inoperative 

checked the wiring, wiring ok, checked the switch, switch ok

put 12 votes to the motor, motor working ok , 

Clean the wiring conditions,

Fit it all back together and now working great 

Always the way when selling anything