Manta GTE Oblong Headlights getting hard to come by

MSGManta

In the last 10 years I have lost 4 drivers side headlight broken by useless drivers bumping into my lights whilst parking tight. 

Luckily one light was only broken in 3 pieces that I was able to glue together and apply clear tape in front and it had no impact on beam direction, so passed MOT, however the problem is reflectors, if they become tarnished or lose the chrome plating, then it is a real problem getting hold of new ones,

Sending it away from re-chroming is so expensive, I was quoted £135 plus VAT, not worth it.

Better solution is to buy online Hydro Chrome kit, which would cost half as much and give good results.

But a cheaper solution is to use Emergency portable plastic blanket that mountaineers carry with them to wrap themselves to preserve all body heat, as reflective surface bounces heat back ,  or gift wrap roll  you can get from gift shops this highly shiney film can be glued in sections on the reflector, use spray mount or something that will stick these plastic pieces to it, you need not worry too much about how hot it gets, it doesn't as all heat is reflected away, aluminium tape will get hot though, and it is not very reflective like mirror.

Alternatively even better solution, get Cavalier Mk3 headlights, a pair i just bought on ebay ( NOS ) being sold for just £50.00 and it has brand new reflectors that will fit in the manta though you may need to improvise a little.

Avoid falling for Chrome Spray, that they claim can give a mirror like finish,  no they are no different to silver paint and when it dries it gives a dull shine, which is no good for headlights as the beam does not reach far enough on the road, except the headlight glows bright, and it passes MOT rather falsely as it deceives the tester since he sees the lights are bright and aim reasonable, but the reach is short, and MOT testers only place their measuring or test jig close to the car.

However, if you must need good reflectors you may get them from German Ebay, reflectors are not beam diverters, it is the front glass pattern that deflects the beam. 

So Manta's have not yet reached the end of the road yet, some parts are hard to get by, but sooner or later someone will start moulding front headlight glass using Clear resin, I am in for that, I saw this video on Youtube, once you make a mould you could make a few of these and flog it on ebay for manta owners needing a  new glass. 

Check this how this guy made his own lenses from one original glass.  

under a

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MSGManta said:

Alternatively even better solution, get Cavalier Mk3 headlights, a pair i just bought on ebay ( NOS ) being sold for just £50.00 and it has brand new reflectors that will fit in the manta though you may need to improvise a little.

Very interesting! - can you please tell, or better still show us photos, of how this is done please.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...