Horn not working no or little earth

hoobby

After fighting with the horn (single wire live) and it's unwillingness to obey the laws of physics finally worked out I cannot get a good earth from the steering wheel or the steering column nut or shaft. works fine if I give the button an earth from the door light switch.where would this assembly get it's earth.

Edited by hoobby
Single wire

It gets its contact from the brass ring under the steering wheel onto a spring loaded pin under the steering wheel.this in turn gets its earth from the steering shaft itself. In theory it goes through the top bearing to the bearing carrier and via the nuts that hold it to the top of the column.check for loose. pretty sure it also can electrically travel through the lower u joint as I don’t think it’s got any nylon inserts ?  Into the steering rack and through the crossmember . I’m trying to think if wether the actual crossmember is electrically insulated to the body though through its various rubber mountings .try it and see.  maybee a linking strap across could be added.

hope this helps

Edited by cam.in.head
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hoobby said:

IMG_20190707_154211.thumb.jpg.57ebcb7363f9bd99581b13ee9c6e1644.jpgcontact pin and brass ring both covered in  dirt and non electrical conductive grease.had a volt meter on this and definitely where it breaks down.

So is it now working then Graeme?

Hi ian....no it's not that photo is the live feed contact still chasing for an earth.the steering rack is earthed but this breaks down on the lower flexible joint and the upper uj.so going to put a loop of wire over both of these with a little slack should sort the problem.

17 minutes ago, hoobby said:

Hi ian....no it's not that photo is the live feed contact still chasing for an earth.the steering rack is earthed but this breaks down on the lower flexible joint and the upper uj.so going to put a loop of wire over both of these with a little slack should sort the problem.

Yes it does :D.

• Like 2

"make and mend" story of my life . Just on crock clips with a bit a wire at mo that will do for the mot then got to drop gearbox out to replace that tube will pull the rack out with the upper and lower joins.upper earth straps easy two pinch bolts but lower only has one pinch bolt and riveted together with a rubber cush drive bung thing will have to drill and tap something in.

• Like 1

Ah yes forgot about the lower flexi ! Doh 

so the only possible way it gets its earth is actually through the grease covered balls in the top bearing and through the bolts to the top of the column. 

How about some linking wires across each side of the uj clamp to clamp and the same at the rubber flexi too. That would help I would think ?

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's sorted now.the reason it wouldn't obey the laws of physics was I have a twin horn set-up 1 air horn the other a standard round one this was defective and causing a dead short just gave out a dink noise and sometimes works.still shows no earth on steering wheel on the avo but still it works all I can think is the voltage load overcomes this.