Make and mend manta

hoobby

The bulges do reduce a lot in size (see pics) so had to dig more foam out going to use tape to pull these areas straight when I bond the frame back in.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As these frames rust they leach into the foam and make it expand.

Edited by hoobby
Pics

1 hour ago, hoobby said:

Going for tiger seal for flexible and bonding already tried out on two bits of off cuts 24hrs later only got them apart because the foam failed

Great info mate, will be waiting to see the final fix once your SS parts are back 👍

Have a slight bulge on one of mine 

Thinking if l used a hole cuter to remove the stud ,then use a stainless steel captive nut ( bounded into the trim) then use a stainless bolts 

Make the securing holes a bit bigger for adjusting 

16 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Have a slight bulge on one of mine 

Thinking if l used a hole cuter to remove the stud ,then use a stainless steel captive nut ( bounded into the trim) then use a stainless bolts 

Make the securing holes a bit bigger for adjusting 

I did think of doing something like that myself but the frames were far to rotten and will put  the load in one spot if not part of the frame  which might make it bulge.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Well it's been over a year since I started the repair on the spoiler fins

problem 1 the replacement frames tho exactly same dimensions as old ones will not fit back in the spoiler so will have to remove more foam thus losing the alignment will have to fit the frames while fitted to the car using the rear spoiler to line up.

Problem 2 boot will never sit where it should due to the badly damaged n/s hinge but thanks to Vince have got a replacement in fantastic condition.

Problem 3 main rear spoiler bulging badly at fixing points so will stop the boot closing or push the fins out creating a horrible gap this one I'm really not looking forward to doing have been wire brushing and spraying with aerokroil so far three of the nuts are moving so if I can get away not shearing any of these off and the fixings are not too rotten will just dig out enough foam to get the bulges out treat the rust,paint and refill with tiger seal....well that's the plan.

Will update before next December ...maybe :D.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

having not had a car with this type of spoiler i assume its the same issue as occurs on the rubber overiders on chrome bumpers. the metal inside the rubber rusts and swells and the mounting stud falls off.you end up with a  crumbly mess !

Pretty much mate, yes. They are just a stud on a larger head(washer/hex, seem to be various styles but all are basically same thing). They are cast into the rubber, but over time as they are ferrous, water ,wicks up the sides and the starts the corrosion process. Same thing on the GTE hockey sticks too. Such a shame they did not use galvanised studs, but at the time if manufacture, life was ~10 years max.

You can cut them out and rebound new ones back in. Need something like Sikaflex522 and a retained stud.

https://www.hall-fast.com/bighead-mild-steel-male-threaded-studs-m6-x-50-213528

https://gbr.sika.com/en/industry/transportation/sealants/adhesive-sealants/sikaflex-522.html

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Is there anything you can do to to the original fixing to protect from this happening, 

Eg, I have new unused overriders, never fitted, can I do anything with the original stud, obviously don't want to remove stud or disrupt over rider in any way. 

Seal it when fitting to stop water going up the threads/getting behind the captive stud. 

• Like 1

exactly.

not sure of the internals of the spoiler but the overriders are rubber moulded over a metal frame which the stud attaches to internally.

the rubber itself should be watertight ! so anything that you can do to stop water getting up the stud and on it should help.especially on a new one .

p

• Like 2