WHERE DO THESE GO?

Hi All

Putting the last few bits on the A series and have some springs that i have no clue where they go as it was so long ago that i took them off. I know they must go back on somewhere as they were in my box of to keep parts 🙂

I know Andy C would have had them labelled and catalogued! but im no where near as organised as him 🙂 I also like to have that "It wont be long before i get it back on the road" thought so no need to make a note of where it goes as i will remember!! I have been taking pics to look back on as i build stuff up as it can be a few years in between strip down and rebuild!!

Thansk

Andy

IMG_20190726_1002049.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

The long ones look like the spring for the handbrake and attaches to a slot in the rear subframe.

Been a very long time since the A series had drums so i think Mike could be on the right path with the handbrake cable, seems to look right, will check tonight.

did the end of the handbrake adjuster thread have a spring off of it?

Andy

Ok, so the big one goes from the end of the handbrake threaded part and connects to the cross mwmbwe that hold the prop. The small ones fit to hold the hand brake cable out of the way, not 100% sure they are the right ones, but they do the job! if anyone has a pic of the ones that hold the handbrake cable that would be great.

Andy 

My only thought for the handbrake cable was that for some reason i thought the end that held the cable had a bigger end that went round the cable? these only just fit over it. Its not an issue as i can open them out a bit, helps to keep it away for the exhaust which i think when running will be capable of melting anything that get close to it 🙂

Andy

Like I mentioned above its hard to determine the scale of these compared to the tile they are sat on . If the big Spring is about the size of a aa battery and approx 6" long ish then it will be from end of handbrake lever pull rod to crossmember .at least it would be on a b series but why 2 springs ? .    The other again similar but shorter would hold the cable away from the exhaust to the chassis but again I'm only familiar with b series and why 2 ??

43 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

Like I mentioned above its hard to determine the scale of these compared to the tile they are sat on . If the big Spring is about the size of a aa battery and approx 6" long ish then it will be from end of handbrake lever pull rod to crossmember .at least it would be on a b series but why 2 springs ? .    The other again similar but shorter would hold the cable away from the exhaust to the chassis but again I'm only familiar with b series and why 2 ??

The big one does fit the handbrake cable end to cross member and i had probably just been saving springs and ended up with 2! so one spare, looking at the Haynes manual there is one each side holding the cable away from the exhaust. Will measure these but have  test fitted them and the length looks ok, just though the end hook bit was a bit bigger, from what i remember?

23 hours ago, 611 said:

The big one does fit the handbrake cable end to cross member and i had probably just been saving springs and ended up with 2! so one spare, looking at the Haynes manual there is one each side holding the cable away from the exhaust. Will measure these but have  test fitted them and the length looks ok, just though the end hook bit was a bit bigger, from what i remember?

thats ok then seeing 2 was confusing me and it doesnt take much !

b series only have the spring on one side to pull away the cable from exhaust too so sorry not too familiar with a series cars. 

On 28/07/2019 at 20:24, Mike. said:

The hole in the end of the threaded handbrake rod is a really tight fit for the spring, you are right.

Managed to craw under and finally get it on 🙂

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

thats ok then seeing 2 was confusing me and it doesnt take much !

b series only have the spring on one side to pull away the cable from exhaust too so sorry not too familiar with a series cars. 

Ha ha. I have a box of bit to go back on the car so just working my way through them, always going to end up with some left overs! just hope they are not the important bits 🙂

Hi ya pal. 

Well done  for asking .

Nice to see you  are having a  go at rebuilding  your car  😉

Rather than open cheque  booking  it to some cock who doesn't  care how it ends up or if all the  correct  parts are there. 

Good look and enjoy  all your  hard work. 😉

On 29/07/2019 at 21:16, BIG STU said:

Hi ya pal. 

Well done  for asking .

Nice to see you  are having a  go at rebuilding  your car  😉

Rather than open cheque  booking  it to some cock who doesn't  care how it ends up or if all the  correct  parts are there. 

Good look and enjoy  all your  hard work. 😉

Yep, nearly every bit i have tried to do myself and only get work done by other people if i know they are good or its something i really cant do! probably why its taken so long to finish 🙂 The cheque book restoration would have been running about 5 or more years ago 🙂