Black not so Beaut coupe

Jessopia74

(Edit 08 August 2019) LINKS FOR REFERENCE.

https://opel-forum.nl/forums/topic/mijn-saabscona-b-400rr/ 

So I have been meaning to get this thread started for over a week, but just been so busy with work, school holidays and generally wanting to get wishbones back on my other project Jag XJR.

I purchased the coupe in the following thread 

I managed to strike a deal with the seller off ebay, for a good dea,l less than it was advertised for. Considering all the extra bits it came with and lots of original parts to get it back to its sleek looks and full interior, I was happy. 

However, that paint job in the plastic is shocking 🙈

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

We got it back to my good friends  garage last week, and managed to get a good look at the underneath. 

Its solid past past the front jack points, but has some large bits that need attention. The swan necks are patchwork of repairs and whilst solid, it will all need to be cut out to be replaced.

Last friday I managed a good afternoon to get some junk stripped out of inside so we could see what task awaits me 😂

A few more of where I am up to now.

The Sunroof is corrosion free 🤗

Edited by Jessopia74
Adding reference links
  • Like 2

So it came with a fair amount of potential upgrades, not that I have decided yet. No rush, shell needs a fair amount of work.

I have still not 100% decided yet, but I am leaning towards chemical dipping the whole shell. That rubber paint is probably pushing me mostly, but the underside whilst has some decent welding completed, it also has black silicone sealant all over the place.

Interior is trashed, very dirty, it is deep into the cloth and sagging.  So that will need to all be redone too, open to recommendations here...

1 hour ago, Yogi_thegrizzly said:

Looks like some work to be done, but a nice looking car! Looking forward to see this develop. That redtop looks like it may have been fettled with? Is that what you're going to drop in?

I don’t know the full history, only it’s tweaked. But no, I will be going the Saab route. Don’t tell the Saab forums but I intend to butcher a 2.3 aero . But will leave it standard to implant with loom and ecu etc.

i have sourced an axle from a Scimitar Se6 (4ha) already, just need to decide about gearbox options now.

i feel gearbox will dictate the dash too, with digital speedo something that needs to happen with all the modern reliable gearboxes that can manage the 250bhp daily. Not sure I can bring myself to use any ford bits on this though, so T5 out of the question. 

But no rush, will be next year before I need that.

might have to get a little side project to use up the engine& box 🤪

Edited by Jessopia74

This is one topic to follow. The Saab way is nice, google Rik Ophuis Saab. He drives a Ascona-B with a Saab engine but not sure what gearbox he uses.  He is from the Netherlands. My daily Insignia has got 310Hp (2.0NHT used by Saab also) and the GT gearbox fits on that engine so maybe an idea? 

Succes with the rebuild!

Yeah thanks for that info. The SAAB make a lot if sense, plenty about and 235R stage 1 is 275bhp so plenty for very little outlay. Now I have settled on this, I guess I should sell this redtop.

I have 2 options now, rx7 5 speed or bmw. RX7 for the fitment needs 10mm milling off the bellhousing but is supposed to be a very nice

Both require adapters, the bmw options are a little on the expense side.

https://pmcmotorsport.com/swap-solutions.html

Still lots to do before, so I can just keep an eye out for the right deal.

Picked up the se6 4Ha axle & propshaft too yesterday, will post some pictures compared to the std. Manta axle probably tomorrow when I can get back to the garage.

• Like 2

Got a few bits done today.

main thing is getting the underside steam cleaned to remove al, the crud, and let me get a good visual of what I will need to do.

Then my lad and I started to get into the 4ha axle. We will strip a spare manta axle I have to get the spring hangers etc, and then make up the top 3rd link. For road use a 3link setup and watts linkage instead of the Panhard will be plenty.

The width is the same, just the error from the camera makes it look different. We tried to remove the hubs from the 4ha with some heat (map gas) and a puller - no chance! This will require an hydraulic puller and possibly better heat , oxy +acetylene I guess , that we don’t have currently. 

But manta axle half shafts pulled without any problem. Probably put the spares I now have from this axle up for sale.

as the weather ruined bad, we started some therapeutic pulling the rubber paint off for an hour or so. The help I had from my lad and another chap made light work of this! We have nearly the bulk off the os and roof already. 

Edited by Jessopia74

I would have saved that bit for myself 

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Got a few bits done today.

main thing is getting the underside steam cleaned to remove al, the crud, and let me get a good visual of what I will need to do.

Then my lad and I started to get into the 4ha axle. We will strip a spare manta axle I have to get the spring hangers etc, and then make up the top 3rd link. For road use a 3link setup and watts linkage instead of the Panhard will be plenty.

The width is the same, just the error from the camera makes it look different. We tried to remove the hubs from the 4ha with some heat (map gas) and a puller - no chance! This will require an hydraulic puller and possibly better heat , oxy +acetylene I guess , that we don’t have currently. 

But manta axle half shafts pulled without any problem. Probably put the spares I now have from this axle up for sale.

as the weather ruined bad, we started some therapeutic pulling the rubber paint off for an hour or so. The help I had from my lad and another chap made light work of this! We have nearly the bulk off the os and roof already. 

• Haha 1

It’s rubber paint, not wrap 😦 been sprayed on, but where it’s thin it’s tedious to remove, where it’s thick it’s like pulling rubber gloves, odd stuff.

wrap on rear spoiler and a couple of other bits though and comes off, but leaving a glue residue.

3 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Clean the glue residue off with brake spray as if you use sanding it will clog up 

Can you pressure wash the rubber paint off

No we tried the steam cleaner at 110deg and still would not get behind the rubber.

where it was applied as a normal coat thickness with the spray gun, it’s fairly easy to pull off in larger glove sizes bits, it’s where the reach of the painter was at their limit and the thickness is too thin to get anything other then small stamp bits off without it tearing is the issue.

So lower half, worse towards the sills etc, and mid section of roof are the worst areas. Probably have another couple of hours on this tomorrow to get the rest off the roof off.  Might order one of those vinyl removing wheels to try on the really thinnest area.

only progress today was clean up workshop, and cut off the old exhaust, that was shockingly cobbled together random parts between down pipe and back ox. All scrap obviously. But it sure does sound like a tank now 🤣

Well we had a good run today and managed to strip a lot, find a lot of rot, some semi repaired and learnt a few things along the way, mostly about these slide sunroofs. As this is my first Manta with a sunroof. Haynes manual was semi helpful, but not 100%, but we managed. 

All glass is now out of the car baring doors, boot lid off, stripped the spoiler etc. Upon removing the rear bumper I notice that on the OS it looks to have been bumped a little as the rear panel is not true, not a huge amount, but another task to sort. Inside boot is very solid, with only issue been the NS hinge bracket as snapped completely off (torn the metal) and the spring for this side snapped.

Trim was not a big issue, but due to its hard life, a few items are broken and will need to be replaced, will make a post in the wanted section, so please take a look and see if you can help me out with any bits.

doors to be stripped tomorrow, until then leave you with some more pictures.

• Like 2

Not at all, it’s had some work previously, and some cure rusting done. The main repair on os scuttle into window recess is not bad, just only half done. Just needs a bit more metal adding. The rest are easy bits to weld in. 

Also I am toying with swapping roof out too,.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-B-Coupe-Non-Sunroof-Roof/173990268940

8 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Also I am toying with swapping roof out too,.

Would be cheaper and a lot easier just to fit a Clio glass sunroof. I think we've seen far worse sunroofs than this one. That foam being one of the major causes of corrosion. 

What's the 3rd from last photo above showing. Can't quite figure it out. 

Was the plastic-paint stuff just applied over the bits above the fuel flap or have you been sanding/rubbing it? Just curious. 

• Thanks 1

Sunroof surprisingly is solid, no corrosion at all, but I prefer no sunroof at all. I certainly would not like a glass one, maybe just keep what I have..

picture you mention is throwing you off as it has a repair and not orientated correctly, but  I have highlighted below.

Edited by Jessopia74