Black not so Beaut coupe

Jessopia74

4 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

picture you mention is throwing you off as it has a repair and not orientated correctly, but  I have highlighted below.

Ah! That makes more sense! Thanks! 

Given you have a decent sunroof, I'd be tempted just to keep it as is after some TLC. Being an Exclusive, it would keep its originality etc. 

More progress today. Remaining roof lining out, door glass removed. Side skirts off, front bumper removed, and wings off. Heater box out. We finally had an hour left and use of a ramp, so we removed the gearbox/propshaft.

the loom is virtually all pulled back to the dash, so hope to remove it tomorrow.

Anyone got any top tips for the door hinge pin removal? We hit a snag today with these as they are solid, bar cutting the Hinges off completely not sure how I can get them out. Unless new hinges are available?

A few pictures of progress.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

Today’s update, will be last as I am back away with work for a week, so no more progress until a week on Thursday.

wirring loom removed completely, front axle off after a massive fight with the rear subframe bushing bolts, they had been welded into to chassis rail during a repair and rusted solid into tube, so it was a hard slog to cut and knock them out. In the end we had to abandon the NS and work around it.

rear axle came off easily in comparison, but this looks like it’s been off in the not so distant past, makes life easier. The back of the car floor on both sides past the rear jacking points seems good, but those swan necks on the right side is in a very bad way.

Made a wheeled pallet for the body, make it far easier to get onto the back of the recovery wagon to take for the acid dipping. A few jobs left to do in a week or so after I get back from work.

pictures to keep you all up to speed.

And the amazon nag bespoke dolly 😁

• Like 2

Good luck with the project...👍🏻

i like yourself have a Starmist black exclusive coupe and will be interested to see how your car comes out after the dipping, this is something I've considered..

im also using a Saab B204 and prob an omega box.

im only the other side of the bridge in North Lincs and the non sunroof roof on eBay is mine 👍🏻

lee

• Thanks 1

My adapter plate apparently has arrived so I can bolt a Saab unit up to a RX8 box. I will be using the 6speed variant.

Some nice chap measured the distance and it looks like I woll need to move the gearlever hole back by 2inches or so. Just a bit more welding.

• Like 2

Nothing so much happened on the car as such, but more preparation.

RX8 gearbox and propshaft is purchased and on its way

Shell is booked for the acid stripping and primer, earliest is beginning of October sadly 😔  so this will delay rebuild somewhat. So hopefully I can do a deal on another car 🤔

Saab donor 2.3T car sorted 🤪

Be good to see how easily the rx8 box and prop work. Wouldn't mind a 6 speed upgrade for mine. I've got the omega box fitted now and it sits further back as well.

Am I right in saying it's a carbon prop on rx8?

Yes they are carbon.

it will need to be sent off along with the se6 one to make one up.

however, I have been looking and think I may have an alternative to create a 2 piece. Using an IS200 manual propshaft, gearbox is the same I believe, just the mounting flange is different.

I will be able to make some measurements once it’s here as I still have the Redtop engine.

I'm definitely going to have to upgrade the prop as it's away too thin to take the torque of the Saab engine plus the welds are poor at the flanges so I'll see how you get on first with the rx8 one. I might upgrade to the same setup as yourself if it's easy enough.

Only a little work today as other life issues took this morning up.

1) fuel tank out, painless as expected. Hopefully I can get a new rubber for the filler neck. However I don’t think I will be putting this tank back in. I want something a little safer, so although I won’t be rallying, I will have a foam filled tank made to fit back in behind seat🤔

2) main task was to get the pins out of the doors and then strip them completely ready for dipping.

drivers side door came off with a massive fight, although both pins had bits broken and missing.

hiwever, passengers door, OMG, I had a 78 coupe doors that was red rusted previously, but this Was a whole new level of solid! Had solid slugs inside the hinge pings of a mix of crud and red rust that proved a challenge to get out. This was even though they had the plastic bungs in. Managed to break 3 pin removal pins. In the end nothing left to do but cut the hinges. I will have to get some measured, drawn and then machined once I get the A posts stripped for the new panels. Good job I did order these as now doors off the true nasty state of them is clear to see.

3) a large positive was the RX8 adapter. Dummy fitted to the red-top, and it’s perfectly machined 👍

Pictures as always.

• Like 1

Hmmm I’m liking the 6 speed box and adapter plate setup.... think I might have a bit of that for my Saab engine ... 

well done Jess 

ill have to get some details off you mate. If you get chance will you send me a message with what you are using?

cheers

Lee

4 hours ago, Dogbreath said:

Hmmm I’m liking the 6 speed box and adapter plate setup.... think I might have a bit of that for my Saab engine ... 

well done Jess 

ill have to get some details off you mate. If you get chance will you send me a message with what you are using?

cheers

Lee

Will do, think it would be good If I put into thread too. 

Did not think of that one, good call 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rx8-gearbox-Adaptor-plate-vauxhall-redtop-XE-Saab-B204-CNC-LASER-CUT-RWD/303126135788

• Thanks 1

No pictures today.

However made the last push to strip last few remaining bits out of the car. Completely ready to go off now for dipping in October.

sheer bolt in steering column was a pig, tried to drill/easy out it, in the end had to grind the head off. Will drill/tap once back from dipping.

all carpets are completely out, and front floors are going to need to replaced. They are patched but they need to be replaced for sure. Are all floor pans the same for lhd/ rhd ?

Just a few more bits arrived from M&M Dronten.

I will be able to start assembling the rear axle with the spring hangers 👍

i May strip the outer A post panels & make repairs/ weld in new prior to sending to enviro strip, not sure yet, see what time I have.

however, I ordered what I thought might be floor/ arch repair panel- however, now it is here I am not sure where it’s for ?? 🤔

Edited by Jessopia74
Pics

15 minutes ago, H-400 said:

The text sais it is a plate on the right side behind the front wheel. Must be a part of the floorpan and the inner arch behind your pedals.

Wow, thanks Herman, much appreciated.

I guess by sheer luck I need that plate anyway :D 

I guess I will check see if they do the LH too