Black not so Beaut coupe

Jessopia74

On 03/10/2019 at 19:51, Jessopia74 said:

How times flies!

Time has come to send off to Enviro Strip tomorrow, so loaded onto the transport this evening, mate will take tomorrow.

My booking seemed like a decade away when I got the car 🤔

A few weeks and the truth about the amount of work will be truly known 🤪

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

....and spotted on the M1 earlier today. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well back from my Holidays, Cuba was interesting if you like old American cars, but OMG the fumes!

Anyway, the shell is back from the dipping, and I will go down and look at it tomorrow, told it was ‘not that bad and is red’ so we shall see 🙈🙈

• Like 2

21 hours ago, IanMc said:

Fingers crossed Jess!

It is looking more like an old dish cloth now 🤔😂😂

Nose - over lamps is now exposed and as bad as I estimated. Full replacement that is fairly new sourced, just will need 4slot grill moved over.

A-posts, much as expected, replacements for both already sourced.

swan Legs- again as expected, shock here is the repairs are actually worse than I thought. Other parts of car that been repaired are better done, seems someone else must have had a go at these.

lots of patches about floor/bulkhead area that I could see before. Probably cut them all out and start again anyway.

for this shell, it was worth dipping to see the issues, but it would have been cheaper to re-shell for sure. However, that would mean another one bites the dust 🤯

Interesting to see the results of the dipping as opposed to blasting. No surprises about the front grill panel. I had that replaced under the Vauxhall-Opel 6 year anti-rust warranty back in 1992 when my GTE was coming up to its 5th birthday. Was well chuffed! 

Edited by Monaco Blue

Thanks chaps.

yes will be replacing repaired panels where possible salvaged from donor vehicles, or after market, NOS etc.

Anything else I don’t like I will cut out and make repairs. 

In 2minds If I should just remove the repair sills though, as they are not bad jobs, but thinking it might need some repairs behind like I found on the Silver Dream Machine.

I was concerned with the sunroof as there was signs of a little filler, and we know how bad these usually are, but I am pleased it has a tiny hole where corrosion was eaten away. 

I read a massive amount of the pro’s and con’s of the acid in comparison to the blasting. But I am definitely happy with the result. Some areas worse than expected, other much the same, and a few positive surprises. For me I know there is no rot now on this Hole shell ( pun intended 🤦🏻‍♂️)

😎

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

Indeed Ian. I have a couple of months off over winter, but I still have a bit of work to do on Silver Dream Machine too, so that will break it up a bit.

Need to invest in a spit next, if anyone has any recommendations 

Edited by Jessopia74

On the plus side all the bodgy patching kept the car alive long enough to end up in your hands rather than being scrapped years ago, only down side is its harder to chop out lots of patches than just rusty panels.

Hopefrully the acid eat away all the foam between the sunroof tray and roof skin (which is what holds the moisture there and rusts it from the inside) so it will just need a sealant squirting up there between the 2 to reduce vibration from the skin.

• Like 2

Hi Dom400,

my garage ceiling height is 2.4m the jig required no alterations to height, I just bought the jig in flat pack form, just meant  I had to weld it together following instruction manual then mount the Manta shell. 
my Manta is now just about complete so it’s off the jig but as can be seen from photos it doesn’t take up a lot more length, just the feet at the bottom would require more room.

Edited by Mike.

4 hours ago, mantasrme said:

On the plus side all the bodgy patching kept the car alive long enough to end up in your hands rather than being scrapped years ago, only down side is its harder to chop out lots of patches than just rusty panels.

Hopefrully the acid eat away all the foam between the sunroof tray and roof skin (which is what holds the moisture there and rusts it from the inside) so it will just need a sealant squirting up there between the 2 to reduce vibration from the skin.

Indeed David, they have been done over a fairly long time period, so you can see it been chaing the rot and kept it going. Most of the worse sections I will be able to chop right out and fit new or salvaged panels anyway.

Good point about Sunroof, did not think about the foam :) 

Great to see the acid at work, this is something I've been thinking on myself for a while now. Heard mixed reports on it. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking ? It will be interesting to see if the acid and protection made it to all the hard to reach areas  once you start to cut out the previous repairs to reveal behind them. I've head about air traps in chassis etc stopping acid/protector getting to some areas. Not sure how true this is. Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT

No Andy, it’s on previous page, 2nd post as Bandit asked too.

I did read a lot about pros and cons of it prior, so it’s a learning curve for me. I guess once I start to cut some bits out, it will become apparent if any was trapped, or not flushed properly.

I don’t finish work till end of Nov and then I want to get some stuff done to the Silver coupe first, so I doubt much going on till new year if I am honest. 

• 6 months later...

Started collecting some more panels for the car, new front nose and a pair of inner wings are sorted from a couple of omoc members. However We decided to start putting some stuff into order as my storage area was slowly Turning into a mess by just having stuff just put into any space available.

Big tidy up needed and a sort through, more of a reminder of what I had purchased more like 😂 what can’t be seen is the 5different engines, or all the stuff hung from roof 🙈

I must stop buying stuff now 🤔

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Started collecting some more panels for the car, new front nose and a pair of inner wings are sorted from a couple of omoc members. However We decided to start putting some stuff into order as my storage area was slowly Turning into a mess by just having stuff just put into any space available.

Big tidy up needed and a sort through, more of a reminder of what I had purchased more like 😂 what can’t be seen is the 5different engines, or all the stuff hung from roof 🙈

I must stop buying stuff now 🤔

no keep going looks like a little bit more buying and you can build a car from the spares

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hoobby said:

no keep going looks like a little bit more buying and you can build a car from the spares

To be fair a lot if what is there is for the Black coupe and Manta400. 
It’s the smaller bits that I keep forgetting I have, I should create an excel spreadsheet as my memory is full of other useless info 😂

• Like 1

I have just been doing this at last! Two sheds and loft done, just the garage to do and then enter it all in to the data base. I use MS Access from Office 97 which still surprisingly works with Windows 10! For extra nerdness, I have even given the boxes numbers so I know which box the part is stored in :lol:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Exclusive Opel said:

I have just been doing this at last! Two sheds and loft done, just the garage to do and then enter it all in to the data base. I use MS Access from Office 97 which still surprisingly works with Windows 10! For extra nerdness, I have even given the boxes numbers so I know which box the part is stored in :lol:

That’s excellent, fancy sharing 🙏😁

• 1 year later...

Been a while but finally moved the black couoe shell onto the roll-over jig I purchased a year ago 😀

Minimal fabrication needed for the brackets onto shell from the Jig and balanced very well for first guess 😎 Although it has the threaded rods to lift the shell to different heights, I would not have liked to have to set it up off axles stands. It's was still quiet a bit of faffing about off the ramp tbh.

a little bit of space gained in the lockup.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 5