Problem with front lights

IanMc

Hi all,

I have a problem with the front lights on my Cav Coupe. Basically nothing works - no side lights, no dip beam and no main beam... (The back lights are absolutely fine though).

But strangely when the light switch is turned to either position 1 or 2, the main beam indicator light glows - please see below photos:

ixdi0la.jpg

i8yC3vD.jpg

aDxK2e7.jpg

lcNpNXo.jpg

I suspect that something behind the dash is wrong - I had to take this out to do the speedo cable.

Any ideas please?

Does the Cav have the loom plugging into the back of the dash? The A series does and if i ever had the dash out to do the speedo cable it would work the socket loose and i would loose some things until it was pushed back in properly, might not be related but as you had the dash out it was just a thought?

Did they work before the speedo cable change?

Andy

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 611 said:

Does the Cav have the loom plugging into the back of the dash? The A series does and if i ever had the dash out to do the speedo cable it would work the socket loose and i would loose some things until it was pushed back in properly, might not be related but as you had the dash out it was just a thought?

Did they work before the speedo cable change?

Andy

Thanks Andy, good suggestion.

Yes, they did work before the speedo cable was fitted.

42 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Remember reading something years ago, the earth on the rear lights affected fronts. There is also two earths up front? If they are clean, i would beg borrow or steal a light switch. 

Thanks evo, I will try cleaning them all and go from there.

Just now, IanMc said:

Thanks Andy, good suggestion.

Yes, they did work before the speedo cable was fitted.

Sounds like it could be dash related, lot of stuff going on behind there 🙂 Would the switched have moved and maybe become lose? Mine use to work but the light on the switch would not work until i wiggled it about and pushed it in a bit and then it would all be fine!

Thanks again Andy, much appreciated.

It does feel like an earthing type problem, just because it’s such a weird thing to happen.

I think I might start by making up a jumper cable and connecting each earth point/connection back to the battery negative terminal.

Good morning everyone.

I am pleased to advise that I now know doe sure what the problem is.

Late last night I pulled the dash out again to check if everyone was connected and secure (it was). Naturally I did the obligatory wiggling of everything, but this didnt affect anything. So on that basis, I discounted any loose or failed onnections on the back of the instruments.

Next I turned the light switch to position II and took a jump lead and connected one end to the battery negative strap bolt head. I used the other end to touch the top inner wing headlight earths on both sides - nothing from either...

I then removed the plastic bulb covers and touched the bulb holders - both sides in turn immediately lit up. So this is most definitely an earthing problem. I think it fair to assume that perhaps some paint has gone down the earth screw holes behind the lamps and stopping a good earth connection from being achieved.

Hopefully that wont take too long to sort out - oh yeah and of course to put the instruments back in AGAIN  :lol:

• Like 1

the spade connector to the metal holder inside the headlight are usually a poor connection but this only runs the sidelights.

sounds more like you need to clean the inner wing earth and possibly replace or check carefully the lug.i would go for a nut and bolt with serrated washer to get a perfect connection.

• Like 1