Still no rear brakes

hoobby

Yes the little inserts are in there.found a hydraulic pressure gauge for £8  0-2000psi going to make up a line test tool if all this still fails at least I can see what pressure I actually have only problem gauge has 1/4" BSP thread not easy finding an connector to convert to m10x1 may have to have something made up but still going to be cheaper than buying  the wilwood tool £90 and probably never use again.the Flexi I had replaced with braided during the tests.made all the rear lines up...I find something relaxing about making them:).IMG_20190831_131758.thumb.jpg.79211c36623dec7fb76b2c796744496a.jpg

Was going for M10 and whatever the bleed nipples are then can check the master output and rear brake valve cut off as well.as you say will be interesting as drums apparently need about 500psi to work and calipers 1000psi.

I had a similar issue on a series 3 109 ambulance. Couldn’t get the pedal to go hard after replacing two brake pipes. 

Get a G clamp. Clamp the rear wheel cylinders fully shut then bleed the brakes again. Do it for both sides. Report back what happens. 9 months out of action my series was. New rear flexi, 6 new brake pipes, new master cylinder, re-routed pipes, new cylinders, new drums n shoes, counless pressure bleeds, swear words and heart ache and all it needed was the cylinders clamping shut. 

Cheers Jess got it sorted now.

14 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

I had a similar issue on a series 3 109 ambulance. Couldn’t get the pedal to go hard after replacing two brake pipes. 

Get a G clamp. Clamp the rear wheel cylinders fully shut then bleed the brakes again. Do it for both sides. Report back what happens. 9 months out of action my series was. New rear flexi, 6 new brake pipes, new master cylinder, re-routed pipes, new cylinders, new drums n shoes, counless pressure bleeds, swear words and heart ache and all it needed was the cylinders clamping shut. 

Pedal is nice and firm but will give it ago.sounds like you went through what I am now. I'm up to 6 liters of waste fluid now.

Edited by hoobby

IMG_20190904_144000.thumb.jpg.c42efbbf7624d6c074cb9a6470222876.jpg.                                                                    One brake pressure tester total cost £11.38.if anyone is interested in making this search eBay for hydraulic gauge select the 0-2000psi 1/4 BSP one (£7.99) and metric male studs to BSP select m10x1 male & 1/4 BSP female (£3.39) and bit of PTFE tape.i don't mind spending that amount for a tool I'll probably never use again :D.t off the brake lines and fit rear entry dials for front and rear could be a nice feature on any rally build project? But will have to get proper seals for the joins as brake fluid will degrade PTFE.

Edited by hoobby
Brake fluid
  • Thanks 1

Ok just for the hell of it run a series of tests.

M/c without servo assist 850psi pumped brakes 1150psi

M/c with servo assist 1500psi    pumped brakes 1900psi

Brake valve output 750psi same on all tests so this must be its limit.

So m/c and brake valve are doing there job.

Going out tonight so will run the rest of the tests tomorrow.

Edited by hoobby
  • Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 15:21, hoobby said:

IMG_20190904_144000.thumb.jpg.c42efbbf7624d6c074cb9a6470222876.jpg.                                                                    One brake pressure tester total cost £11.38.if anyone is interested in making this search eBay for hydraulic gauge select the 0-2000psi 1/4 BSP one (£7.99) and metric male studs to BSP select m10x1 male & 1/4 BSP female (£3.39) and bit of PTFE tape.i don't mind spending that amount for a tool I'll probably never use again :D.t off the brake lines and fit rear entry dials for front and rear could be a nice feature on any rally build project? But will have to get proper seals for the joins as brake fluid will degrade PTFE.

That’s one excellent tool, if you can get a adapter can be used for pressure test on fuel lines 

Last test taken from the end of brake line at the wheel cylinders both show 750psi more than enough to operate the rear drums so I would say they now work but as I have striped out all the brake gear and new drums,shoes and fitting kit ordered as old drums badly scored should have it all back together by weekend and hopefully mot soon....ish.and now boing! time for bed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

It definitely would be good to know the root  cause

It wasn't the Flexi but all the old steel lines from it badly restricted and t- piece had  a lot of crap in it I also changed the valve to Flexi hose line tho this had been done think I'll replace all the steel lines up front as well due to the amount of rusty fluid I got out when I first flushed the lines.i just like to thank everyone for there help and patience with this problem it was extremely frustrating and I got really negative about the car but now feeling a lot more positive tho I still think this car has a soul (female) and is just pissed off for being left neglected for so long like a woman scorned :angry:.oh parcel force screwed up and sent the shoes and drums to Milton Keynes as a delivery depot 90 miles from my house but have promised will be delivered tomorrow.

• Like 2

In a way I am sorry you have solved this brake problem, I was really enjoying it all!! I'll have to look for something else to follow now!!! But as was said it would be great if you knew exactly what has caused you all those sleepless nights. Good luck with the MOT test.