Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

Silly name, but fits aptly.

Since ^not so black beaut ^ will be a longer project to get how I want it, this is going to be an interim project so that a) I don’t rush b) we have a car I can bring to some shows.

got it up in the air today, it is pretty good. Think we will tackle the swan necks now before they get too bad. Already have the repair parts for these from Germany, so can get them done. Quick look about with my Mate (mechanic) and we had to se the static timing as it was about 3deg after TDC, so runs nice now. Will need new front discs and callipers, so might do Carlton discs mod, and all new brake lines.

Needs a full service as it’s not been done for a while, still had a GM oil filter on it 🤔. Service manual is present, and stamped upto a few thousand miles ago, but about 15years in time 😀. one thing we could not get is an air filter from the two local factors, not even listed now, so might need to think about a k&N.

Had a little drive on the trade plates to the petrol station to get some fresh gogo juice in it, lovely drive. It has been over 20years since I drove a Manta on the road so I was absolutely chuffed 😁

Bad bit that annoys me already is a Cellular aerial in the front screen! So it will a new one at some point, brown tint with blue strip if anyone can help with this, msg me 🙏

So hope to get it to MOT whilst I away with work, then can have a little drive about in it before the bad weather comes.

Pictures attached.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

Thanks evo.

I have got. Spare quad headlight kit, so will be adding them as that is the look I genuinely love.

also going to fit the 17” rims I got with the black coupe, so not too dissimilar to those in the pic you posted 👍

My mate called me to say after steam cleaning off the car, they have found rear oil seal and camshaft oil seals need to be replaced. So that all the oil leaks front. Rear is diff case seal. But it at least has some oil in it left , so not run dry.

Jess, you should ask a few questions on protection against rot etc, to prevent it, and best, suitable products to use. 

There is a drain hole in each chassis leg, allowing water in, in engine bay, below battery, and below brake servo. Plug them

I used a mix of heated wax oil and motorcycle full syn, oil for chassis protection. Stone chip for body protection, you can use garden hose cut to two inch lengths to temporary plug chassis holes, to allow product to do its job. 

Main think with these cars is to protect them. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 1900SR said:

Isn't the aerial just stuck inside and out? If so surely it can be removed without damaging the screen. Certainly the ones I've come across in the past have been.

will take a look, I assumed it was drilled.

Not much going on as I am at work , BAH!

What I have decided to do, mainly down to the crap carb that is fitted to the 1.8s, is change to fuel injection.
I was looking at fitting a inlet manifold to the 1.8 engine, then thought I may as well just put the STD redtop I have in it, makes sense as its a 1.8
Will use a GTE fuel tank, pump etc.

Going to dump the Motronic injection though due to issues with the distributor positioning on back of the head; de-dizzy the engine and run a Megasquirt ECU from http://www.extraefi.co.uk/, (ordered) with a Bosch Coilpack from Ford or VW.:)

• Like 1

Just incase you change your mind, a dissy sticking out the back will work, split the heater box, leave matrix where it should be, the fan can move right, untight with standard battery. Been running it for years, no probs. Fitted a redtop on sfi box to  a 1.8 hatch years ago, running standard ecu.

A wee bit harder to wire, but think all you will need is a wire to fuel pump, you could fit a swirl pot and run your return to it. Use your carb tank. 

On 13/09/2019 at 11:23, Jessopia74 said:

will take a look, I assumed it was drilled.

Not much going on as I am at work , BAH!

What I have decided to do, mainly down to the crap carb that is fitted to the 1.8s, is change to fuel injection.
I was looking at fitting a inlet manifold to the 1.8 engine, then thought I may as well just put the STD redtop I have in it, makes sense as its a 1.8
Will use a GTE fuel tank, pump etc.

Going to dump the Motronic injection though due to issues with the distributor positioning on back of the head; de-dizzy the engine and run a Megasquirt ECU from http://www.extraefi.co.uk/, (ordered) with a Bosch Coilpack from Ford or VW.:)

If you are looking for a 2.0 inlet manifold with all the bits on l have one 

And the name fits the car (as sticky fits my car)

Not much happening as I am on rotation with work at the moment, however a few bits have arrived that will give me to go at 😀

ECU arrived, all set for the most std installation on the Redtop (dizzy removed)

little water outlet for the rear of the cylinder head

fuel pump and filter housing.

• Like 1

Really like silver in this model , mostly remember white gte's from the 80's ( what I can remember of the 80's 😂) . I'm taking inspiration of buying a manta to drive whilst doing one up. That's pure genius  😍

3 minutes ago, Buz said:

Really like silver in this model , mostly remember white gte's from the 80's ( what I can remember of the 80's 😂) . I'm taking inspiration of buying a manta to drive whilst doing one up. That's pure genius  😍

Genius or stupid (my Mrs view anyway).

but it’s from lack of patience if I am honest 😂

• Like 1

When my 1.8 failed mot on emissions, it was a rocket! Anyway, the two mot test guages where off the clock, took it home fitted a redtop, back to mot, next week, only retested emissions as that was the only fail, it wasnt even registering, the tester guy was confused, asking how did you do that!  i just smiled.......... think it was the rubber block that carb sits on that was leaking on 1.8, are you breaking 1.8 engine, would this block be available? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Brakes and welding, not a massive job then! 

20 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Rear brakes and a couple of small patches, it took more than the 1pint to prepare me haha.

I am there tomorrow afternoon so will get a look and post up the evidence and come up with the game plan 🙂

Sutty you have a gift 

Well I certainly have the two extremes between Silver and Black!

I am great full I have both, and I suspect one will cost me well over average to restore, and the other well under.

But! They will both be cared for and outlast my chassis, fabric and leather 😂