Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

Failure sheet attached.

all brake items are already done. 1 siezed caliper, new pads and rear stripped, serviced and adjusted. He also replaced the brake fluid as it looked more like liquid liquorice 🤔

just started on a couple of welding bits needed on sill. Started on O/S rear arch. It seems we have caught them early. Inner sill is in great condition.👍

swan necks are pretty bad though once I have started to grind. It’s like they are splitting down middle, very odd. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

19 minutes ago, markyspark said:

Whats the plan for sorting the swan necks then...patch or replace?

Going to strip the rear of the subframe off then decide. It’s only a section about 5” on the O/S and 8” on the N/S.

Will cut off out the top of the leg and decide I guess. I do already had the repair sections for the swan necks I purchased from Germany for the Black Coupe.👍

Edited by Jessopia74

6 hours ago, Buz said:

It's David Essex that runs round my head.  Even if I had seen him in concert , I wouldn't be owning up 😂. Went to a few Marillion concerts in the 80's  though.  

🥂😂

Great day today, with my Lad helping (and more importantly Learning!). 

Pocs are attached, but for those that don’t have the access to view (why not, it’s cheap to join!) 

1) investigation preparation to the o/s and n/s swan neck small sections that have signs of corrosion, and cracking the skin!

2) all front suspension stripped (not engine cradle part of subframe) although I might take this off too. All will be shot blasted, strengthened, pained and new bushes will be fitted. 

Man thing is from the investigation, the inner rails are solid. I will sacrifice the repair sections I had purchased for Black coupe, but will not be removing the spot weld flange from the floors. Instead I will take the new rail right into the corners and seam weld it there so MOT dude can see what he needs for the pass, then will tidy the welds, and under seal it all.

All the exposed-inner rails will be blasted with Cure Rust too.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2019 at 10:31, TheRealExile said:

Every time I read an update to this thread I end up with Hawkwind and silver machine going round in my head 😁

Last saw Hawkwind probably about 10 years ago at Bolton Town Hall of all places, they had changed the set the fairies and trip type stuff was all gone 😯

Was in the charts in 1967. The girl on the track was call Stacey 

Just a random thing in my head 

O by the way the chassis repair is looking very good 

• Like 1

Had a quick look with the repair panels for the chassis rail, seems if I reverse the part that is suppose to go upwards from the bolt hole, cut it and reverse it towards the jacking point - it will make perfect repair sections for the chassis rails 😀

ill make some pictures tomorrow as I prep them 👍

Have you ever used cereal box cardboard to make templates, give it a go, see how good it comes out, whats there to loose? 

Lay your cereal cardboard, printed side out, use a straight edge to form any creases, lines etc. Then lay it flat on body tin, see how you get on, saves your repair sections. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Have you ever used cereal box cardboard to make templates, give it a go, see how good it comes out, whats there to loose? 

Lay your cereal cardboard, printed side out, use a straight edge to form any creases, lines etc. Then lay it flat on body tin, see how you get on, saves your repair sections. 

I will second that, that is exactly what I did. Such a simple idea saves so much time and effort.

Not sure Mrs Mc was too impressed with just the clear inner chucked back in the cupboard though    :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Cheers chaps, but yeah it’s a great tip and yes I have. Not always cereal, pretty much any thin card I could get my hands on.

Great day today, although long. Started to press old bushes out of front suspension arms. Sent for shot blasting, so will continue these from tomorrow when I get them back.

was working it out with my friend today and it’s over 21years since I have done any welding lol.

However, the O/S is all done, and made some repair patches for wheel arch too - sadly I was sure I had got some pics, but I was  bit carried away.

started to prep the n/s and although it looked like the easier side, once I started cutting the rot out, and some old patches, it has grown a little. Found some rot starting on inner sill, and the B-post to Sill section.

might need to buy a sill for rear, will have a think. I should be able to make the repair sections anyway, hmmmm. 

Swan necks started to make the repair plates up, I should get these finished tomorrow 👍

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 3

Missing pictures added for repair sections stitched into rear arch and sill patch. Took a fair amount of rot and repair filler out, so they have been ‘done’ before, but not with metal 🤪

Managed to make a bit of progress on the Swan neck repair too, but like yesterday I forgot finished pictures as was distracted with ripping the engine out of a Saab for the black coup 🤯

• Like 1

Another day and finally swan necks are finished. I have probably gone to greater lengths then was really needed, but my thoughts are cut any rot out now, saves having to do it again in the future!

the swan neck/ rail repair pieces was helpful as they had a nice radius that matched where I needed to repair. Could have been done with just flare plate, but as I had them so why not.

pics attached of the results with just the protective primer. Will seam steal & under seal once back from MOT retest.

All the wishbone/suspension bits back from the blasters are now put into the primer to stop any oxidation. Super pro full suspension bush kit arrived, so that’s tomorrow’s job to install👍

Edited by Jessopia74
Added missing pics
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Herman. My friend is of the same opinion as he knows him from regular MIT works, however I am always more cautious when the potential to cause me hassle is high 😀

I have made sure that I have taken pics(far more than uploaded) as evidence that it is all done properly to go with the cars service history, so I guess I could use that.

Rear Arch and Sill arrives today for the N/S back that needed a little more work than it looked. Not full panels needed, but it’s hard to replicate the contours, so will just cut what I need. Probably keep rest as spares for Black Coupe anyway. It’s very handy doing 2 together, easy to justify everything 😂

Well, subframe had to come off today, it just would not be OK to leave it at this stage and not give it some love too, should have sent it fir shot blasting, luckily the garages apprentice was willing to attack it for a small fee & McD’s  😂 

Replaced the bottom ball joints and fitted the new Super-pro bush sleeves and bushes. Glad I had a 10ton press at hand as getting those sleeves to sit home took about 4ton in the end. But the job of getting the bushes in with the silicone grease just took a vice to get them started. Top arms also have new Borg&beck bball joints to go in, might slot one side for top castor adjustment. 

all the suspension parts have now had cold Galv’, primer and 4coats of black machine acrylic, so should last a fair few years now.

• Like 4