Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

You are not wrong, I remember I did this a long time ago when My SRB was on 14” but the wheels was well into the arch ( like no tyre exposed in top edge), however,  they are only -40mm kit. I did measurements against the GTE and the cones are the same length, so unless there is something I am Amis, not sure why I would need to cut/move them, but please be quick as I am now paranoid I should cut an inch out 😩

Edited by Jessopia74
Drunken spelling mistakes 😂

Remember that when I lowered the first time my Manta (-40mm) in the eighties the manual that came with the springs mentioned to cut that lowest "ball" of the bumpstops. A lot of years later when I just buyed my "400" I noticed one of the yellow koni-shocks had a lot of play and I took the both shocks to a repair-shop. On older man with a lot of experience tested the broken shock in a testdevice and the first thing he asked if I had shortened the bumpstops. This was also done by the former owner of the "400" so I confirmed that.  He explained that if the bumpstops are too short the insides of the shocks take that function over and will be damaged, what happened with my yellow koni... That explanation looked very clear to me, so I install the shock completely pressed together (without spring)and push the lower wishbone up to be sure the rubber bumpstop does his work. My "400" has got also -40mm springs but I installed new bumpstops. 

Great day, although pretty long one. (Mostly self inflicted from last nights beers with the office team 😁

Thanks Herman, Well the shocks on the car go way way past where the bump stop would ever be, however, I shortened the bump stops by 30mm today anyway, so if I do change the shocks, I will investigate shorter variants.

Exhaust back on today. Re-tapped the manifold threads as a couple of bolts where a bit dodger coming out. A little filler started on the rear arch repair. I could probably do with new exhaust, so if anyone has an recommendations, let me know.

started to re- assemble the suspension too. Hope to have it on its wheels tomorrow, need to make it back for re-test on Monday as it’s my last day off. Wow nearly 2weeks gone in a flash 🤯

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I seem like a record at the moment, but the frustration will come soon enough fir me (next Wednesday)

My lad is really taking up the slack when he is off school, he is a proper little grafter and it help that he is smart (must get it from his mum).

we have got all the front suspension rebuilding finished today barring the ARB. I had forgotten these needed cleaning and painting 🤦🏻‍♂️

The New (lower) Rear spring have been fitted, and panhard Rod removed for modding to make adjustable, but not finished yet.

still crap loads to do to make the deadline for retest.

My lad Schooled me a little today about everything I have been teaching him. I was using the angle grinder & wire wheel with cotton gloves today, needless to say I thought him what can happen when it catches the gloves I have told him should under no circumstances be used with bench or angle grinder, if used. Stupid old fool I am. It looks like my left hand and wrist has been attached by a rabid cat 🙀

And to think I am QEHS professional 🤦🏻‍♂️

A couple of Pics attached from today, have a nice evening everyone 🍻

• Like 2

Not spent long down at garage today as it’s a family day and we always have Sunday Dinner together, with my mum.

But we are at that point that things are going back together now that seems like we are getting loads completed 😁

Put the 13” rims back on to get a true reflection of the lower springs changes, but I will put the 17” multispokes on that the Black coupe came on as I think they will suit the car.

Panhard Rod made adjustable, so the axle is central after the drop. 

• Like 1

Thanks mate, rear looks fine in person. Pretty happy with the springs and new stance to be honest.

They are progressive rates, so tighter are fitted top. I will see how it sits with the 17” tomorrow, as can’t remember the tyre sizes off hand to work out the new diameter.

Looking good Jess. 👍

50 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

How close are the bump stops are now that its on its own weight. If you are not happy with the rear, look to see if springs are upside down. It maylook lower on the bigger alloys. 

That's a great tip, I actually never thought of bigger wheels making it look lower 👏

16 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Yes, as you are putting things back on the car, I was wondering whether you were going to treat it with some magic potion soon?

Yes definitely. 👍

But I am thinking about having the underside cleaned more. The steam cleaning did an OK job, but I would like more crud off before it’s all Shultz’d etc. I know there are gentle type of sand with water blasting options, but this will all need to happen post 16v going in, so no immediate rush.

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

Working on a ramp makes life so much easier 

Getting a bit jealous , you don’t need 2 mantas 

,excellent work carried out , 

I don’t have 2 currently, one is in Birmingham and then god knows how long it will take to get mobile.

But you are right, I have been very fortunate that I could have the ramp for a couple of weeks as it’s a generally quiet time for the garage, not to mention all the facilities it has at my disposal. I don’t know how I would have managed without, so thanks to my friend 🙏