Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

It did look well with the 17” alloys on it, but the wheel studs was too short so had to order some longer ones. Std on GTj was about 25mm

The ones on the GTE black couple axles was ~15mm longer, so don’t know if that’s std on those or not. I could not find a measurement in the Haynes manual. 

I have ordered a full set of 51mm length from https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SS38.

Only one other thing to decide on is to fit the Quad headlamps or not 🤔

Studs where all the same, smart route with longer studs, i would keep the squares until you get your rims fitted. Although they are weak in terms of illumination! Against modern day blinding white light, full beam almost looks like side lights. But......fitting these changes them slightly, makes them fit for purpose, and retains classic manta looks. 

dodge_ram_morimoto_bi-xenon_retroquik_system_assembly_2_2.jpg

Edited by ®evo03
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Studs where all the same, smart route with longer studs, i would keep the squares until you get your rims fitted. Although they are weak in terms of illumination! Against modern day blinding white light, full beam almost looks like side lights. But......fitting these changes them slightly, makes them fit for purpose, and retains classic manta looks. 

dodge_ram_morimoto_bi-xenon_retroquik_system_assembly_2_2.jpg

Interesting.

How do you fit those to the existing reflectors evo and what happens to the beam pattern through the glass?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

I agree with the poor lights. It looks like they are already on the brackets to sit in the quad housing?

be interested to see on how those look.👍

Oh for quads, now I get it - I thought evo was talking about for square lamps - apologies!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, still got some paint work to finish and the front brakes upgrade to fit (Audi discs)

I actually like the look of it without side skirts that I was sure would just scream at me ‘missing’ .

I am even starting to like the bump trim too🙀

1 minute ago, Jessopia74 said:

Thanks guys, still got some paint work to finish and the front brakes upgrade to fit (Audi discs)

I actually like the look of it without side skirts that I was sure would just scream at me ‘missing’ .

I am even starting to like the bump trim too🙀

That's looking very smart indeed! You might be right about the side skirts. 

Always thought those bump strips would look much better body colour. Hint hint.... 

Will see if i can find a photo of my 1.8 hatch, warning! I like em low, as wide of wheel as i can scrape, but all can be removed and original parts are always kept for grandpa joe!

IMG_7930_zpsabd934be.jpg&key=da98fc8ac3ce02f4e28cdb3ed291044873e846243298af27ef014b1490a90802

This was a few yrs back, still have it tucked away. Running injection c20xe.

Ohh, i did mean the square light, but they could be fitted to quads also. What has directed me this way is the reflector issue. Ian what i was thinking of is getting a standard set of squares set, aligned, park the car a metre from wall, trace beam, then fit these above, and try to replicate, i have a mate with an aligner, so can play..............but, im along way off worrying about headlights! 

was gonna remove bulb holded and fit these in existing hole. 

21 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Hmmm, that’s an interesting idea. I will wait fir you to trial this first 😁

Sorry, you will be waiting a while, you better go first. Im in the middle of stripping back reflector, nd plan to polish it to within an inch of its life. 

The problem is price with that one! X4 expensive. If the polishing works it may be kept standard, if not, the relector could be painted any colour and halogen light kit kitted, as this doesnt rely on reflector. 

12 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Sorry, you will be waiting a while, you better go first. Im in the middle of stripping back reflector, nd plan to polish it to within an inch of its life. 

The problem is price with that one! X4 expensive. If the polishing works it may be kept standard, if not, the relector could be painted any colour and halogen light kit kitted, as this doesnt rely on reflector. 

😁

Having thought about it and looking as some pictures on the forums of other people’s cars, I am definitely going to the quad kit. I do have a new set of units already and a spare surround so it would be silly not too when that is the look I like.

• Like 1

Quads look cool just as its getting dark, just outside lights on, there is a big gap from outside left light, to outside right light. And the small size and low slung stance, but because it is darkish your brain running flashcards? What is it? an old xjs jag? Ford rs200, surely not! WTF! its a manta. 

Now just wait til you meet a modern car coming at you on a b road. You might as well have no lights at all, the lower the manta, it is worse, as your eyes are inline with the modern cars daylight beams,  i would even go as far as your full beam being not as bright as the oncoming headlights.

Whats wrong with these kids? Are they blind, and then they fit even brighter, they are so white they look blue?

Just thank your lucky stars you didnt fit them 55w TV shape manta lights, and you did the right thing and fitted your quads! 

• Haha 1

Front axle officially finished now.

New Vented Audi discs and GTE callipers fitted, tried and trusted upgrade setup that is well worth the money 👍

Brembo pads from the local factors, £23.81 😁

So thats; Modded Audi discs £80 from David Howell, Calipers from FB market place cost £70inc postage, and £23.81 for pads. Total £173.81. , About the same as Merc charge me front pad replacement in my GLC! Absolutely a bargain of an upgrade to the Manta.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, shaunwilli said:

Car looks great on the seventeens.Been looking myself at wheels and that seems the way to go.Also agree with you that i like the car without the side skirts.How long before your on the road.

I have booked it in for paintwork to get done by a friend whilst I am on Holiday so I hope it will be done by the time I get back in November.

Then a week to fit engine, and next. 3month tweaking the map lol(hope not).

Black coupe should also be back from dipping then too, so I will have plenty to do over winter months.

• Like 1