Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

18 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Front axle officially finished now.

New Vented Audi discs and GTE callipers fitted, tried and trusted upgrade setup that is well worth the money 👍

Brembo pads from the local factors, £23.81 😁

So thats; Modded Audi discs £80 from David Howell, Calipers from FB market place cost £70inc postage, and £23.81 for pads. Total £173.81. , About the same as Merc charge me front pad replacement in my GLC! Absolutely a bargain of an upgrade to the Manta.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Hi Jess, sorry to be lazy and benefit from your hard work but could you tell me which model  Audi the calipers are from and are the discs from the same model. Also were there any other parts involved . Any information would be great thanks 🙏

Just now, Buz said:

Hi Jess, sorry to be lazy and benefit from your hard work but could you tell me which model  Audi the calipers are from and are the discs from the same model. Also were there any other parts involved . Any information would be great thanks 🙏

No problem at all, the discs are Audi 80 and sourced from a chap that sells kits. These audi discs need the centre bore opened up on a lathe and then 4x holes drilling to match the mounting position. https://mantaclub.org/profile/26-mantasrme/ sells them already done at £80+post. He also sells the rear disc conversion brackets (purchased but not used yet).

Calipers are from MK2 ASTRA GTE. They are also fitted to Mk3 Cav Sri too. I suspect (but not confirmed) are also fitted to Vectra A with 4stud wheels (stay away from 5Stud). I just put a wanted thread on the clubs Facebook page for Astra Caliper and a guy messaged me about some he had.

A useful thread I found about Calipers http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?168966-Are-cavalier-2-0-8v-and-16v-calipers-the-same, whilst not 100% proven, the number on the Caliper that keeps cropping up for the ATE that fit is 977

there are other options if you want more if an upgrade based on 280mm, search for Manta Sierra Cosworth brake upgrade. 

• Thanks 1

Managed to find a pair of Recaro seats in Dark trim, although I think they will need re-trimming anyway now I have seen them in the flesh.

just need a couple of bases now. For now I can loan them out of the Black coupes parts, but obviously need to be replaced.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

They look more like those fitted to the Mk1 Astra GTE. Lovely seats back in the day and still are. 

Ah thanks mate. 👍

I did search but could update not really verify, but the main thing is they are the right age 😁

13 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Ah thanks mate. 👍

I did search but could update not really verify, but the main thing is they are the right age 😁

No problem. The same seats as the Manta except the bolsters are dark grey along with the piping. In some respects nicer than the red/orange piping. Only problem being, the rear seats won't match. 

1 minute ago, Monaco Blue said:

No problem. The same seats as the Manta except the bolsters are dark grey along with the piping. In some respects nicer than the red/orange piping. Only problem being, the rear seats won't match. 

I don’t sit in the back 😁

The rally boys seem to throw them out regularly, so I think I can match rears up in the future. I was going to get them trimmed in as a similar cloth to original interior as possible so might get away with it as originals are mint.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

I had Astra seats fitted to sticky,the seat sliding handle is on the o/s of the seat ,a bit snug to work 

They are missing so will need ones from other seats anyway mate. I already posted an add as I guess there will be some out there from broken seats etc. Otherwise I will have to find some from a different car completely.

thanks fir the info, will remember to avoid the Astra ones 👍

In the process of using early manta b seat material to cover manta recaros. Reason is the early b seats where 40 yrs old, filled with horse hair or something similar, weird as hell! But ive also stripped the old b material of the back seat and will use this to cover the gte syle rear seat, i will mod the gte foam seat even more to give it a lower slung look, 

You could do the same if you find gte nova / astra back seat material, and cover your manta seat. The manta seat material  has panel in the middle which will allow the other material to be fitted. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

In the process of using early manta b seat material to cover manta recaros. Reason is the early b seats where 40 yrs old, filled with horse hair or something similar, weird as hell! But ive also stripped the old b material of the back seat and will use this to cover the gte syle rear seat, i will mod the gte foam seat even more to give it a lower slung look, 

You could do the same if you find gte nova / astra back seat material, and cover your manta seat. The manta seat material  has panel in the middle which will allow the other material to be fitted. 

Thanks mate, I sucked at needle craft at Primary School, so will just find someone to do the job :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not much happening at the moment due to work commitments.

However, I had ordered some 215 tyres for the rear axle, however now they are fitted these might be better for the front axle and try for 225/235 on rear as plenty of room back there.

Also paintwork did not get completed whilst I was on holiday as they could not get it in! Hopefully they are picking it up Monday, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soo, been a while without an update, due to work etc.

With regards to the paint:

OK it been a bit of a nightmare! A friend that was going to paint the panels was not available as he hurt his back - so it went to a ‘lad he knows’ . Checked out some of his jobs previously, all looked ok. BUT, yeah it’s a mess. He had issues with reaction apparently and then lost the will to do it and it shows.

So it’s now going to a clasic restoration shop and getting the paint stripped back, glass out full respray. They have a slot in December due to a cancellation luckily, but unfortunately this type of job comes at a cost. So now having to pump another 3-4K into the car, but it’s worth getting it right now I am so far into this.

They will get me put cures during this process, so will be posting them up soon.

And I just picked up another lump for it. Was going to use the Redtop I had, but will be putting a low pressure Turbo SAAB 2.3 in this now, around 175bhp running the trionic5 management. Will be rebuilding engine first though. It’s come out a low miles 9000cse auto so not much to, just shells , rings new gaskets mostly.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Very sorry to hear about the paint job Jess, I trust they didn’t charge you?

Best if luck with the paint second time around and the engine rebuild.

No charge, but if I am honest it’s cost me for them to do it anyway. 🤨

Shame I did not have the time otherwise would have done it myself, but you know you trust people sometimes and  get let down. Doubt it will be last time I am affected by such things.

I guess they at least let me have the car back without a fight 🥊🥊

• Like 1