Silver Dream Machine

Jessopia74

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Sometimes you have to let someone else do the job. Same as you I don't have the possibility to do the paintjob myself, so you got to trust someone else... Keep us posted about that Saab  engine! 

Indeed will do Herman.

I spent nearly as long learning about the SAAB unit versions and the Trionic 5 & 7 management as I have on the repairs I completed on Silver.

I originally had a B235 with T7 setup for  the black coup, abd after learning about the limitations and complexities of the T7, it led me to decide that. T5 would be great for the Silver coupe too.

it will require a little bit of re-gigging of a few parts,  but they are solid engines with great longevity. The intervals of the B234 variant as an example is all forged as standard and good for 450+ without much of any work. Way more than needed in a My Manta 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Indeed will do Herman.

I spent nearly as long learning about the SAAB unit versions and the Trionic 5 & 7 management as I have on the repairs I completed on Silver.

I originally had a B235 with T7 setup for  the black coup, abd after learning about the limitations and complexities of the T7, it led me to decide that. T5 would be great for the Silver coupe too.

it will require a little bit of re-gigging of a few parts,  but they are solid engines with great longevity. The intervals of the B234 variant as an example is all forged as standard and good for 450+ without much of any work. Way more than needed in a My Manta 😁

I did think about a saab engine for my build, i was told they are harder to fit as the engine is that much taller, have you come across this?

4 hours ago, bris jas said:

I did think about a saab engine for my build, i was told they are harder to fit as the engine is that much taller, have you come across this?

EDIT.From block sump face to top of rocker cover with a bit of clearance is 22”. 

From memory, it’s about there with the CIH engine I think, but I don’t have measurements.

I’m off down shortly, so I will take some measurements.

but I don’t think this is right. I know there are other Mantas out there with them already fitted.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Just for your future, i might be wrong but i think your graphics are too big, maybe replaced before but worth checking out if you are refitting them. 

Are you planning on 1.8 box for saab turbo? 

Thanks, will keep an eye on that. I did want to order from the OMOC shop, but is out of stock, although got a recommendation in a wanted post. Be great if anyone has them in pdf for correct size though 🙏

Yes rebuilt 1.8 box,  but the power /torque will be limited under the danger zone.

Edited by Jessopia74

You can use bmw gearbox with adapter from e90. Need the thick flywheel.

also rx8 6speed or 5speed (stronger) with an adapter plate, already have this combo available, look into black coupe thread as I posted some pics.

just remember the 1.8 and 2.0 box is the same apart from half the gearbox casing that incorporates the bell housing, so it does not bolt off as such.

some have welded a cut up auto box bell ring to another bmw etc other box but this would make your gearbox too unique imo. Better to be able to replace the whole thing.

Edited by Jessopia74

http://chomikuj.pl/baranek110/bmw/rozne/SAABBMW_adapter_1,5660802389.pdf

I think the bmw box option is a good choice, but I don’t know dimensions. However I won’t be tweaking the power on this coupe, but I will build a big output b234 fir the black coupe. Seems 350bhp is very easy to achieve. Stock pistons, rods and crank are all forged 👍

b235 is only good fir around 300 as the internals are a bit different (same crank though)

I currently have a b234 with t25 turbo (Trionic 5 management, out of 9000)

and 

B235 with T25 turbo. (Have T7 , But it’s a bit of a pain to use stand aloneness)

Edited by Jessopia74

• 2 weeks later...

So not much been happening really. The paint shop have been getting on with the prep as they can. Asked them to do a couple of jobs that their expert eye have picked up on.

Rear arches have had new lips fabricated and welded in as they was starting to corrode badly on the edges. Wing aerial removed and  hole welded up and a small amount of carrion repairs needed once glass was out. Usual spots in corners where water gathers.

Main thing is some cloth I have been waiting for has arrived, so I can get the recaro seats I acquired a while back in for retrim 😁

And a very Happy Christmas to you all, best wishes for an excellent 2020 too. 🍻🍻

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5

Jess have you had any quotes yet on the seats, also are you having the door trims done as well?

I'll be looking at getting mine done in the new year, front and rear seats door and rear 1/4 trims etc. Not sure whether to go for same as Herman which is original or leather with the blitz in the centre. I've been getting quotes of between 2-4k depending on how much i get covered but that is in leather with me supplying the blitz material.

Just want to make a remark that my car is one of the 23 pré-series of 1981. So I have the same seats as an Ascona-400. This means black trim aside and black leather on the back, and the seats are on top more round shaped.  My doorcards are also black and the trim of the roof idem. The later Manta-400's (B2) have grey trim and grey leather idem doorcards. And the top of the seats are more angular:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be what I will do since the JT/J is black anyway, so makes sense.

Those Dark recaro seats I have are very dark grey for the back/side pvc, darker than the picture shows, so I sounder if that is correct colour?

Not desperately needed, but I do need some frames if anyone sees any please let me know (got sliders now).

Edited by Jessopia74

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Those Dark recaro seats I have are very dark grey for the back/side pvc, darker than the picture shows, so I sounder if that is correct colour?

Don't forget that these are Astra GTE seats of 83/84 vintage. A couple of years before they were fitted to the Manta. As you say, the bolsters are a much darker grey than those in the Manta. They look the better for it imho. 

45 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Don't forget that these are Astra GTE seats of 83/84 vintage. A couple of years before they were fitted to the Manta. As you say, the bolsters are a much darker grey than those in the Manta. They look the better for it imho. 

Yeah I did not think of that mate, good point!

the bead colour though is a kind of off gold. But plan is to have the whole front and rear of seats trimmed anyway, so Guess I could ask for them to change these to black piping too.

Did you ever try dye kits of ebay, it is sponged or brushed onto leather. Have done some bike leathers, you will be amazed at finish, cheaper than retrim, unless you have holes etc. Its not expensive. Got put onto dye by talking to a guy who dyed red 2 door ascona cards, looked brand new. 

27 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Did you ever try dye kits of ebay, it is sponged or brushed onto leather. Have done some bike leathers, you will be amazed at finish, cheaper than retrim, unless you have holes etc. Its not expensive. Got put onto dye by talking to a guy who dyed red 2 door ascona cards, looked brand new. 

No mate, but when the fabric is thinned, it needs to be replaced and plus I have it now anyway. 

Might be useful for saving the PVC though, I will speak to the trimmers about this. Thanks 👍

It’s a run from chap in Turkey,  on FB. Was a bit odd sending money by IBan to Germany ( to a different name), but it was all ok. Kept in touch with me by WhatsApp, however I know he’s running low (and I need another 10m) so better to order sooner rather than later,  but ofc PM me and I will pass the details you need 👍

Edited by Jessopia74